OUYA or Mojo?

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPlow

Should I buy a OUYA or one of the Mojo's?
I was holding out for 16gb OUYA but don't thinks its coming to Europe anytime soon.
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

mentalthink

Hi MrPlow I think here you can buy
http://www.gamesharkstore.de/Mad_Catz_M.O.J.O._Micro-Console_for_Android/5537/312

I don't know if you are German, but I think you can chose between France and another country...

About the console I think it's a bit expensive, ok more powerfull than OUYA but really not very very chaper.

Thanls for the info I never ear this console but seems will be better trajectory than OUYA.

spacefractal

Property Mojo seen quite faster than Ouya, but I'm still like Ouya. Mojo is also quite a new console.

Android Extras now supports them both trought OUYA everywhere, which first console would been Mojo.

There is also GameStick, but did gave issues and freeze issue on my device, but did code it's do supports it's controller too, but no inapp on it and newer will.

I'm have the 8gb Ouya.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrTAToad

Mojo does look interesting!

Ian Price

Well, I definitely wouldn't recommend the GameStick. Commercial support of indie games is very poor - AquaVenture has sold just 9 copies since 22nd May (and 4 of those were when GameStick gave every GS owner a $10 voucher in June - which actually came from the devs pockets - I got 0.01 EURO for 1xEurope sale and 44p from 2xGB sales!). I'm not over fond of the machine or the controller either.

OUYA is a really nice machine and it's very easy to develop for. The review process of new apps is very quick (meaning your apps get up on the store in just a few days - GameStick took over a month!).

MOJO is indeed the more powerful machine, but it's long term future is unclear.

Given the price point and uncertainty over any of the machines, I'd either stick with Android or jump on the OUYA bandwagon if you want to make proper console games.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

Mojo is ouya combatible and most games developed to ouya can straight away port to mojo.

Ian, if you upgrade to AE v2.3, then mojo is automatic supported as well other consoles that uses Ouya Everywhere. You can even get the names from the 4 buttons (but I'm so forget to document it, it's just a function call.

So for Mojo you really uses Ouya ODK.

That why I'm supports the machine. It's was easy.

Howover make sure it's can run on ouya too, which is slower than Mojo, but I'm like ouya too.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

QuoteIan, if you upgrade to AE v2.3, then mojo is automatic supported as well other consoles that uses Ouya Everywhere.

I know and will make use of it in the future. You've certainly helped make Android development easier and for that I continue to doff my cap! :)

How "open" is MOJO? How do you go about developing specially for it or do you have to use the GooglePlay store?
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

http://liliputing.com/2014/03/mad-catz-m-o-j-o-adds-ouya-everywhere-support-drops-price-100.html

Google Play as well Ouya Store. Later one will helps Mojo pretty much me thinks, and its a great move.

Howover its did require a little change to the Android Extras, but it only took me few hours. The only minus is you do need to put the OUYA_PUBLIC_KEY to strings.xml as in inapp_config.gbas. The Ouya Init is required to been in OnCreate() now. This is avoid calling Google Play store if a Ouya (and its combatible) is detected.

So basically, you only need to resubmit using Android v2.3 to Ouya Store, and your game will supports Ouya, Mojo and future devices that supports Ouya Everywhere.

If you want to checking the button names the controller have (only works on the official names on the current console). Its can been done like this (only sample code):

Code (glbasic) Select

LOCAL OuyaButtons$=UCASE$(CallJava$("OuyaButtons"));
PaintText$("**"+StringField$(OuyaButtons$, 3, ".")+":Jump Left  "+StringField$(OuyaButtons$, 1, ".")+":Jump  "+StringField$(OuyaButtons$, 2, ".")+":Jump Right", FARVER, 0, SCALING*32, 0, -1, 1, SCALING/1.4,1)

Im remember im did add StringField$ to the funcs.gbas, which im uses pretty much. Im do pretty sure rest of the joypad often calls the same or people is aware what they named. So im did only priotity the fore buttons on the main controller.

Ian Price

Yeah I KNOW OUYA store, I just wondered if MOJO had their own store or was it just GooglePlay.

MOJO isn't a bad piece of kit and with the price drop it's definitely a worthwhile investment, especially if you are making money as a dev with Android stuffage.

Anyway, I registered with them and will see if anything comes of it.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

on thier page:

"Wide-Open Platform, Open-platform design makes M.O.J.O. as adaptable as you are. Install apps and games from the Google Play Store, TegraZone, OUYA, OnLive, and more".

So look like its quite very open. Im do not have plans if they have a internal store. Not sure they have it and have not checked it. But they have Ouya Store installed. Ouya Store is make sure you only get controller friendly games.

Im just dedicated supports Moja throught Ouya Store, which was the easist part for me.

spacefractal

Today im got Greedy Mouse v2.0 approved. So that confirm Android Extras 2.3 now works for Mojo using Ouya Store. So another Android console is supported.

Here was what im got:

Congratulations, we approved Genius Greedy Mouse (2.0) to be distributed on OUYA! Thank you for making it.

You can now publish whenever you'd like.

Some feedback from OUYA:
Thank you for your submission.
No critical issues were discovered during this review on the OUYA.
No critical issues were discovered during this review on the MOJO.

Im do believe Mojo is quite faster than Ouya (but its a also a newer Android Console). But im do much more like Ouya than GameStick if you ask me. But cant see any problem with Mojo too. Ian, have you talked with them, etc if they have own App Store?

Ian Price

QuoteIan, have you talked with them, etc if they have own App Store?
No. I have registered as a dev but haven't heard anything. TBH I'm not about to support another Android console (I know I can make games for OUYA which will then work on MOJO, but whether it will run the same (ie capped to OUYA specs) I don't know).

I also wouldn't support a format I don't own. I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I won't be buying a MOJO any time soon.

I don't have enough time at the moment to worry about OUYA or GameStick, so I'm even less concerned about MOJO.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

im also not planning to get a Mojo my self. But its was painfully easy to support it, and since both my games got confirmed working (and they are quite good testing them, much better than Apple do). So you should supports for Ouya Everywhere.

Its very easy. Just add the DEV KEY to the Strings.xml and update to AE2.3, that it. Its only a option if you want to uses buttons names (which is very easy too). So no big work.

So  its was a much easier console to write for, even im newer owned it, but its not require, since we have Ouya, and Ouya Everywhere ODK was well writting (do make sure to got replaced the ouya jar file of course).

So im would not against him to get a Mojo instead of Ouya. Both works fine.

PS. Ouya Everywhere does only remap buttons to uses Ouya standard. But im did choice to cap the surface to uses the resolution choocen for Ouya. But that is not a Mojo issue.