Update

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzy70

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Dec-06
It's basically a big graphics file where you include a whole sprite set, instead of having them in separate smaller files.

Basically what I know as a "Sprite Sheet". I get it now, just never heard of it called a textureatlas before  :noggin:

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Qube

Excellent find, Wampus  :good:

A quick way to make the fix in Photoshop is to make a copy of your sprite and put this copy in the layer below your sprite. Next, apply a Gaussian Blur of 1.1 pixels to the copied sprite layer. Finally, reduce the opacity of the copied sprite layer to 1% (making it virtually invisible but retaining the blurred colour information. Save this as a PNG file and your alpha blending will work.

I've hundreds of layers in my games spritesheet :S... So, in photoshop I added a solid black layer as my background, set opacity to 1%, save the spritesheet as a PNG and it worked like a charm. Result :enc:

Once, more, excellent find  :booze:

bigsofty

Maybe an OpenGL "GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE" could help here? Just an idea.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Clamp wont help fro atlases since there's not neccessarily an edge. 

Eampus, thank you so much. IOU1. 

I start to remember that older versions had black ( blue seems a bug;) ) for transparent pixels. But thats bad if you want to blend over white space. I'm using the Sprites rgb now. For images with cookie color I calculate a mix of the surrounding opaque pixels. 

bigsofty

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Dec-06
Clamp wont help fro atlases since there's not neccessarily an edge. 

Oops, I miss-read, I assumed that people were using atlases as a fix for a single sprite image file.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Quote from: fuzzy70 on 2011-Dec-06
I get it now, just never heard of it called a textureatlas before  :noggin:
Lee

I guess this name (texture atlas)comes from 3d, I remember it first appeared when dealing with uv maps , It got stronger when people started using 3d engines to display 2d games. This, of course , is a wild guess out of personal knowledge...I could be wrong :whistle:

Crivens

Nah never heard of it before. Always spritesheets. Still new words come along all the time. Textureatlas sounds pretty fancy though (like an American saying Titanium).

Luckily TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) haven't taken off here. At work they have always gone nuts over them. I remember years ago consulting on, designing, quoting, programming, delivering, training, and supporting something I personally thought of and named "Tour performance report", and 2 months later I had to stop a customer in a meeting because I didn't know what the hell they were on about when they constantly referred to the TPR in a load of system diagrams. Little f**kers... ;)

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

fuzzy70

To me these sound descriptive of what they are for

Sprite Sheet, Sprite Strip, Texture, Texture Map

However Textureatlas is not so clear & basically sounds poo to me, also to close to Texture Map especially seeing as Atlas is a form of Map.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

erico

sounds poo to me too.

texture atlas I guess came from the atlas UV projection, similar to sphere projection.
This uv was quite famous some time ago(2000) as it was one of the only automatic UV mapping technic available.
Atlas type textures are also used for light probe/projection, and skydomes.(this is different though, the image is distorted)

I remember 2d games done on 3d engines, the sprites were kept on textures and you would use 3d planes to display them.
At some point, using a single image with all related sprites and uv coordinate them into polygons came up, similar to polivectors.

Someone probably got this confused as "texture" means an image in 3d and sprite means an image too in 2d. but you don´t see people talking sprites into 3d unless they mean 2d sprites like particles.

So yah, probably someone got this all confused and end up with texture atlas, which for me, means the image you are going to apply on 3d as an atlas projection.
I guess the standard is sprite sheet and it contains players and objects images.
Now your set of backgrounds are images but are not usually a sprite sheet...although you could get your backgrounds into a sprite sheet... :P

Having been using these terms for so long, I never actually stopped to think of them. There is plenty to be confused.

Worst/funniest of all, are people from publicity agencies, who never had any experience with such but insist on using unknown terms on the most absurd of conditions. I guess they think using jargons like that make them look like they are working or they are wise or something. I usually hear so much absurd from them, Crivens you wouldn´t believe.

But the worst of all, you can´t laugh, people get offended :S

ps:. new terms are invented everyday, I could be wrong

Crivens

I know what you mean. I've been a working professional programmer for nearly two decades now and the amount of stupid phrases is amazing. I just let it go over my head now.

It's always excellent to stop a customer in the middle of a meeting and bring them down to simple phrases and the like. It's almost shocking how easy and quick things go once you cut out the rubbish and talk in simple terms.

Now off to brush up on the new concepts that PCI has moved the goalposts on CCA, where my tokenised API is now being replaced by the CCA itself which is being replaced so that the 3DS system is external to the CCA and to the IBM FE and BE. Which is a shame as I only just got used to using the damn SML for logging purposes. Still at least my MD5 and TDes PCI password routines were implemented and the non-MD5 TF degraded as the AES. Heh, I didn't make any of that up either :)

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Wampus

What about calling these things a Texture Mapped Sprite Atlas Sheet Strip? There, now everyone will know what is being referred to; its a TMSASS.

fuzzy70

Quote from: Wampus on 2011-Dec-06
What about calling these things a Texture Mapped Sprite Atlas Sheet Strip? There, now everyone will know what is being referred to; its a TMSASS.

:booze:
- "These go to eleven."

erico

MrTAToad

At least the riddle has now been solved :)

Ian Price

I like your new avatar MrT :)
I came. I saw. I played.