Posible GLBasic for PS4, in the future?¿

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

HI yesterday I ear comments about the PS4, and they say this console will have a x86 CPU processor, some people comments about the AMD10, and I think... in the future can be possible GLbasic runs for this console?¿, now will be more easy, isn't it?¿...

Well I only want comment this... can be nice make something for this console, if the inscription price not it's only for medium or big Studios.

Regards,

spacefractal

I thinks its never will, except Sony make its very indie friendly. So its depend what Sony want and do. My guess its require a contract with Sony as well require thier SDK which can been very pricy. So Im gonna think its totally out of scopy for glbasic. Also its might been C# based, not C++ based, just like Vita. If its C# based, glbasic will never port to that anyway (except a possible html5/javascript wrapper).

So a better future console choice would different to been the android console, OUYA. Its cant really been more indie friendly as its are and is perfectly fit for glbasic (if its can use Android SDK 4.0 or SDK 4.1 a day, then the ODK would been easy to been integrated).

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

QuoteI thinks its never will, except Sony make its very indie friendly. So its depend what Sony want and do. My guess its require a contract with Sony as well require thier SDK which can been very pricy.
You can actually develop stuff for the Vita for free - Sony give the SDK for that. However, I'm not sure you can sell your stuff and you have to distribute it through their channels IIRC.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps4-titles-will-be-99-cents-to-60-6404341

It's seen it's possible, but still very early since we first see the console late 2013 - winter 2014...
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

Interesting...

It's got to be that way really, hasn't it? iOS and Android have made a rod for Sony et al's back. They've got to change business practices and if that means allowing iOS/Android style content and pricing, well great. It reduces the value of content, so that each game is less than the cost of a bag of crisps despite the amount of hours that go into most apps), but it means that everybody has a chance at making money and gives all content providers a chance to succeed with their platforms. :)

However - after this, if this occurs, everyone is fecked. There's nowhere left to go. Full price games won't be able to survive against a hord of free/99c games. DLC will be the norm and people will get wise and just stop buying it (after all another free/99c game will come out with all of the DLC features, without the DLC).
I came. I saw. I played.

doimus

Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Feb-22

However - after this, if this occurs, everyone is fecked. There's nowhere left to go. Full price games won't be able to survive against a hord of free/99c games. DLC will be the norm and people will get wise and just stop buying it (after all another free/99c game will come out with all of the DLC features, without the DLC).

Quite possibly, quality mobile developers could drive down prices so people stop buying AAA.
But then again, Sony lost Vita to cheap mobile games and they will lose PS4 to smart TVs if they don't allow this. They don't have much choice, really.

And AAA games are already dinosaurs. Unless you have an established franchise and/or established publisher (EA, Ubi, Acti, Beth), you stand no chance in AAA market.
Just like movies... each year we have several dumb but heavily advertised Hollywood blockbusters and countless smaller, neverheardof movies.

Ian Price

QuoteBut then again, Sony lost Vita to cheap mobile games and they will lose PS4 to smart TVs if they don't allow this. They don't have much choice, really.

That's why I said -
QuoteIt's got to be that way really, hasn't it?
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Feb-22

Altough I think similar, I don´t believe people will be fecked. Things shall accommodate in a not too bad fashion.
I think there will always be full-price too. I agree with the crap DLC.  :P

Ian Price

Nah, it'll never all fall down completely (and I was talking about us as devs, not us as users). But it will clear out the wheat from the chaff. Many of the large companies we see now will die, but new smaller companies will spring up and replace them. It will be a very different place to where we are now. However, tiny inidies (like us) will find it difficult to find a place if we can't deliver the content (graphics, media and gameplay) to the high standard that everyone will expect. You won't be able to release any games based on existing franchises/ideas unless you can make them that much more special - 28,000 Sokoban clones - how are you going to make yours stand out?
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

even Crytek have said they in the future only want to create "free to play" titles with inapp purchases. So its seen its a very popular model, which the android console also uses.

The article is vey interesting, and its seen its could been possible with GlBasic really. If PS4 is close to Linux system (which I except it will uses), then its would been even easier to compile for. As I known Sony for, they did have Linux on PS3 and removed it later, so we never known its something similar for PS4. Its also very nice its PC based.

mentalthink

Well good news... If you understand spanish I traslate, very short... Ps4 will be compatible whit Android for mobile devices.. then GLbasic will run in PS4 whitout problems... Comment about Ps4 will be fully compatible whit the Android OS and then I think GLbasic don't have to change too much into his code...
:enc:
http://www.ouya-esp.com/

spacefractal

That would been excellent If that really happens, and also another reason to get glbasic upgraded to uses 4.x as new platform (and its might require compile to 586 binary me guess throught, but should been pretty simple).

Even v2.2 will run, some features will property missing due missing sdk features.

fuzzy70

This is what I read with regards to android as well as IOs

QuoteSony also said that Vita, along with iOS and Android devices, will be capable of acting as second screens for PS4. The new system will allow Vita users to "seamlessly pull PS4 titles from their living room TVs" and play them on the portable over Wi-Fi, while a PlayStation app will enable players to supplement their console gaming experience by - for example - displaying maps or inventory screens on supporting devices.

And taken from an Interview with Sony's Shuhei Yoshida

QuoteWhat were the fundamental things that developers were asking for? From chatting to a few studios it seems social connectivity was a key element, but then the PC-like architecture has also been mentioned... Were these the two most common requests?

Yes, I can say that. Development on PS3 was very hard because of the unique architecture, so we made the decision use a more popular architectures so developers would be able to use the same tools and engines, and make a seamless move to PS4 – that was a big focus. They also wanted a larger amount of system memory as well!

Connectivity was a big area, both between players and between devices. Developers are very far ahead in thinking how they can use different platforms and social network services with console games – we thought yes, that's what we want to do as well. These things can be done on the game side, but as with any other network features, gamers don't want to have to set-up lots of different accounts when they play different games. We wanted to provide these features from the system side so that people only have to download the application once, allowing them to connect their iOS and Android handsets to PS4. It's an additional option for developers to create their own dedicated applications on these devices, but I expect more developers will choose to use our app as it's so easy.

Both of which to me reads that the PS4 is not android based but through use of apps made for Android & IOs (either sonys own or others) you can extend your PS4 playing experience.

The fact it has an 8-core AMD x64 cpu & 8GB of ram (which oddly enough is the same specs that has been reported  for the Xbox720) might bring us some good news but I think it's a case of waiting to see what sony does in regards to the SDK.

I love the look of the new controller with inbuilt touchpad  =D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

hardyx

Quote from: mentalthink on 2013-Feb-23
Well good news... If you understand spanish I traslate, very short... Ps4 will be compatible whit Android for mobile devices.. then GLbasic will run in PS4 whitout problems... Comment about Ps4 will be fully compatible whit the Android OS and then I think GLbasic don't have to change too much into his code...

I think you are wrong, PS4 will be compatible with iOS and Android phones for *controlling* the console.

spacefractal

yes im are more sure its would property been some sort of Linux or Unix system. So its well been different what SDK came with, so its too early. So still the Android console is a bit more important.