Reggie World ( Pandora , PC )

Previous topic - Next topic

nabz32

I recently had some time to work on this again:

• maximum drawing distance increased
  • Several improvements to editor layout
  • Improved the camera system, the camera now shows more of what is ahead of the player
Also New actions for events ( like manipulating a block )
And of course bugfixing.

The editor has been improved, but there is still so much left to improve
in terms of layout and useability.
Aside from that all this game needs is content.
The improvements on the editor should allow me to
Produce new maps faster.

If someone wants to try the current state send me a pm
and i will send you a download link for the win version.
A gamecontroller or a good keyboard is recommended for testing.

bigsofty

Sounds good if you could PM a link Nabz, I'd appreciate it.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

nabz32

Hi, I fooled around a little more with my engine during this year.

* Added some lawn back into the engine.
* Rewrote the engine to support n layers instead of only 2 ( plan is to use this for caves in the future )
* Improved collision with diagonals, now friction is correctly applied here.
* Enemies which should not go over cliffs now detect this always correctly, before those enemies could get stuck on cliff edges and block edges.
* Improved collision with spheres, now friction is correctly applied here.
* Coins collected are now remembered for each map in the save files, saving takes a little longer now.
* Improved transparency check when camera moves ahead of the player while running.
* Reduced inertia for player when turning.
* Increased acceleration for player when running.
* added new available view ranges ( huge and very huge ), so you can see more of the map. Thanks for removing the object limit in the latest steam release Gernot.

Currently in Progress:

* Player editor for configuring player basic behaviour, selecting models etc.
* Support for multiple Campaigns.

Also I am in the process of rebranding this game ( new player model), new storyline, maybe new features, If anyone has some ideas I would gladly look into those, maybe someone
on this forum wants to collaborate on this? ( Just looking for ideas, not something like "plz make all models and sprites for my game"  ;) )

Kitty Hello

Aweseome. Good to see, you're still at it.
I'd personally go with a more toonish style for the main character. Big eyes, large head. See my Wumbo e.g.:

erico

Great! On the visuals, brighter colors might be a good idea. I kind of agree about the main character, Gernot´t idea should help making it stand out.

bigsofty

Large head,small body
Cartoon outline
Use less dull colours, more bright primary colours...

See... https://store.steampowered.com/app/925950/Here_Comes_Niko/

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

nabz32

thanks for the help,

I am still in the process of reinventing the character and story.

I have worked a bit on the lawn engine, so i thought i share some progress ( has it allready been 10 years?  :o )

I have implemented shaking grass when you walk over it ( value from 1.0 multiplied with 720 degrees and sin and asin aftwerwards, looks really nice ), I can also use it for making a wind effect on the whole lawn, also really not that ressource draining ).

I have also fixed some bugs, like teleportation could in special cases lead to one row of tiles not loading.

And I also finished the lawn editor, lawn tiles can now be edited by some clicks in the editor.

I have attached a screenshot of the new effect, but I think a video would do it better justice.

erico

Nice to see this one evolving :)

dreamerman

Indeed, good to see some GLB projects still rolling on, and yeah development time can be long but patience and consistency is the key to get it done.
Regarding the effect itself, it's shaking or more like bending the grass to ground, or something like that? Such detail is always welcome as even today not all AAA game have vegetation that is reacting to player :D
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

nabz32

ok, I made a short video so you can see it in action

erico

SUPER! The effect is very well done, are you also pushing them down a bit other then giggling?
I love the fact that the enemies also bend the grass :)

ps: I need to get back to my Joust game... about August I will dive into it :)

nabz32

Yes i also scale the lawn, i could instead rotate it on another axis, but i hate 3d rotations when there are to many angles involved, I need to get more into quarternions.

erico

But is it really needed (extra rotation)? The effect looks great already.

dreamerman

Video shows much better how it works, and the effect looks very nice in action, specially if enemies also affect the grass.
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

nabz32

I also changed the tree design, now with dynamic leafes.
I plan for the leafes to be affected by the wind and player also.
Just finished the editor and the basic drawing.