F200 and Mr Claus

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

OK, Santa's coming, the wifies asking what Id like, the GPX F200 looks like a fun toy... anyone got one and would like to share their experiences before we buy?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Neurox

Hi bigsofty,
GP2X F200 is arrived to me two weeks ago.
Main difference are (for me) :
1) touchscreen.
2) D-Pad.
3) a little minor battery consumption.
4) SDHC support (I've tested OK with 4GB).
5) Better sound quality.
6) Better screen quality and viewing angle.
7) Firmware and menu changed completaly.

I'm happy for this console.

Now I'm writing a game (hangman style)
for F200, playable with only touchscreen.
It's wrote in GLBasic obviously.
For now it's a good result.
I hope to release in a couple of days

Bye,
Neurox
Paolo Borzini | paolo@borzini.it
The WhiteFly Software | www.thewhitefly.it
Service on line for screen printers | www.4pellicole.it

bigsofty

Sounds excellent Neurox, ty , its reassuring to see that another GLBasic Head is using the F200 as well.

To be honest, the touch screen is enough of a dramatic feature to shift the balance for me, emulation wise, its must be great for the old 16bit machines that used a mouse... the extras are just a bonus! :)

I'm sold! :D
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Brice Manuel

I am considering a GP2X F200, too.  A few question:

1.  How easy is it to transfer files to the GP2X F200?
2.  What brands of SD cards work best?
3.  How does GLBasic do on the GP2X F200 speed-wise?
4.  Are the various emulators made to run on the GP2X F200 as good as their PC counterparts?
5.  What do I need to hook it to a TV if I want to?
6.  If I don't want to use batteries, what are the specs on the power supply I would need?

Thank you in advance.

bigsofty

Cant answer all the questions as my girlfriend snatched it back off me (its her present to me), when I was, erm, testing it...

1.  How easy is it to transfer files to the GP2X F200?
   Very easy, PC USB cable provided.

2.  What brands of SD cards work best?
   Dunno, the one I tried,  "Viking" worked no problem.

3.  How does GLBasic do on the GP2X F200 speed-wise?
   Not known yet... but the games that were on it very VERY smooth and fast

4.  Are the various emulators made to run on the GP2X F200 as good as their PC counterparts?
   Not known yet... the screen shots look eye-wateringly good though.

5.  What do I need to hook it to a TV if I want to?
   Just a cable... I think...?

6.  If I don't want to use batteries, what are the specs on the power supply I would need?
   I have a little USB power supply gadget, cost a couple of quid for charging MP3 players...
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Get the power supply from the GP2X shop. I think it was 2 ampere or so...

Brice Manuel

2 amp?  Egads!  Hungry little monster isn't it?  Unfortunately, the company I would be ordering from ( http://dynamism.com ) doesn't seem to sell the power supply, they only sell the case and the cradle :(

Still, based on the batteries it uses, there is no way it is going to be drawing 2amps.  I guess I should be able to find something suitable.

Brice Manuel

*sighs*, went to order it, but can't because I have a freebie email account (gmail)..  Grrr...

bigsofty

Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Brice Manuel

I ended up getting an ASUS Eee PC instead.  Just as portable, runs all of the emulators and will let me work on GLBasic on the go :D