$5 Million Fund To Mobile Game Developers

Previous topic - Next topic

DmitryK

What do you think about that http://www.tinyco.com/tinyfund ?
What is their goal ?
Our life is just a Game!

XanthorXIII

Not sure, but nothing is for free so I would expect something back to them in return such as Royalty rates, etc...
Owlcat has wise

erico

Quote from: DmitryK on 2011-May-26
What do you think about that http://www.tinyco.com/tinyfund ?
What is their goal ?

their goal it to make money out of the money without doing the hard work... :P

Similar to Indie Fund, they will probably only fund games that have the potential to become a top seller, with such potential, I don´t see the reason on borrowing money in the first place.

Getting something like 100k to put up a couple projects and sharing the profit would just be perfect but I really don´t think they will buy my ideas.

I might sound pessimistic, but am not, anyone here going for this?

Moebius

Read the terms (lol):
"You acknowledge that we may be working on games or other projects which are similar to or competitive with the materials described in your Application, or that we may be working with others on such games or projects. You agree that the submission of your Application and our evaluation of your Application will not limit our activities in this regard."

If you don't think they'll steal your concepts, you'd might as well apply - if they don't fund you, its not like you're going to lose anything.
If you do have a good game idea, you could make money in the end if their marketing works well.
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

DmitryK

I have no good idea  :), but maybe will have good implementation of known one.
In that case I think it is a reason to contact with them.

If I had a good fresh idea of a game I'm afraid to show it to them  :x
Our life is just a Game!

erico

Quote from: DmitryK on 2011-May-26
but maybe will have good implementation of known one.

THAT is a good idea =D

XanthorXIII

I think it's an easy way for them to steal ideas. Please give us your ideas and we'll let you know if we like them to give you money. Oh I'm sorry, you're idea wasn't a hit. A month later "your" game is out on the market under "their" banner and it's #1.
This is really about the oldest scam in the book.
The only way I'd give it up is if they signed an NDA that I had a lawyer write up.
Owlcat has wise

Wampus

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

erico

Quote from: Ragaril on 2011-May-26
Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

strange I had a hot discussion today with a few friends on the issue "selling a movie".
This sentence resumes it all. at least IMO.

discussion was about trying to sell a project(idea) while we have a few DONE movies.
I would go for focusing on selling the DONE thing and never the project/idea.

It seems to me attempting to sell a project/idea puts you into an amateur field, while being an author, you should sell completed projects even if they seem less great then the paper work.

Of course I mean real business, if you are the governor´s son then that´s another field...

It kind of works the same on the publicity field. You do a piece an agency asked you to do. the piece is yours and you sell the numbers of use and on what media for a measured time. It seems to me on the movie field it works the same, and it also feels on the game industry it also works the same way...

soo, pitching a project for pre-selling to a funding/bank company looks like a too great step and there are wolves looking for people wanting to take such a big step...it seems to me it is better to go on on the speed you can but working with fully done apps instead of project/ideas.
At the end I can´t see good into this kind of business other then a trap for the ambitious...

Did I make any beer sense? :puke:

Wampus

Erico that made a lot of sense, not just beer sense.

Although it might seem slow & unglamorous at times, being a singular author or belonging to a small personal team of co-op authors is generally a more creatively satisfying, professionally stable and less exploitable position to be in than having to pitch ideas/projects for backing from "big money". If you don't just get disappointing rejections there will be terms & conditions to funding, i.e. consequences, that you may not like further down the line.

If its desirable or simply an unavoidable step to apply for outside funding & support then at least having significant previously completed work shows integrity. That makes it more likely you'll get the kind of backing you want and less interference.

Maybe if things go well big money will come to you and agree to your terms & conditions.