UBER BASH BROS DEMO (Updated: Version 0.77a with CPUs and bug fixes)

Previous topic - Next topic

Darmakwolf

< Read latest post for changes. Download link is current on this post now :) >

Everyone's favorite wolf is back! What do we have this time? Remember my little animated GIF demos of an NES smash-bros-style game? Well it's not forgotten! Uber Bash Bros is now playable and quite fun! Up to four players can play.

28+ characters and 15+ stages complete so far. Stage editor fully functional. All characters are playable and they're all unique - many work in ways that wouldn't be directly obvious, so if you have any questions just ask.

LIMITATIONS: This is really just a silly thing for my friends and I to play, but I am sharing it with you all. As such, a few things are hard-coded for my setup

Screen is hard-coded to 1280x720 (720P standard HD.) That's going to look and work fine on 99% of all modern widescreen monitors and HDTVs.

HOW TO PLAY: All players select a character, then press start. Player 1 now picks a stage. Once the stage is selected, all players vote on "original" or "remixed" music for the stage (All stages have their own soundtracks and remixes!) And the match begins. The object is not quite like Smash Bros. You ARE trying to be the last one standing, but the idea isn't just to knock people around. Everyone has 200 HP, and you want to reduce that to 0 via your skills and abilities. All characters have their own unique abilities and projectiles that deal damage or have other effects. Everyone also has unique ways of defending themselves. Some characters are just bulky tanks with high defense so they don't take much damage, but are usually limited heavily in mobility and/or damage. Others are massively fast, but usually weak. Many are well-rounded. There are several random events that happen occasionally to mix things up a bit. These events are map-wide and often have devastating effects. Every attack has a small (~1%) chance to critical-hit, which will double the damage dealt.

**DOWNLOAD**

Current version 0.77a. Read latest post for changes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g96an0ns77sou8z/UBB077a.zip?dl=0

bigsofty

Very obviously done with a lot of care and attention. Love local multiplayer games do this is right up my alley!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Darmakwolf

Quote from: bigsofty on 2014-Nov-04
Very obviously done with a lot of care and attention. Love local multiplayer games do this is right up my alley!  :good:

Thanks for the feedback! It's been fun to work on. Please test it thoroughly if you would, and make some suggestions (Even if it's classic game character ideas or levels you'd like to see.)

MrPlow

Looks like a lot of fun :-)

Gonna try later!
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

Darmakwolf

Quote from: MrPlow on 2014-Nov-06
Looks like a lot of fun :-)

Gonna try later!

Give it a go, and let me know what you think  :D

Darmakwolf

Update: Added Sniper Joe from Megaman on NES. Randomly spawning items are in the works  :good:

Ian Price

This sounds really cool and well done for creating something like this. Have you looked at Super Smashland, the GB styled Smash Bros. game?

While I love the whole idea behind Super Smash Bros, I find the game unplayable. To me it's nothing more than random button presses and losing where my player is before being beaten to a pulp by Bowser or Donkey Kong etc. My son loves it though, so I'm subjected to hours and hours of videos, gameplay and talking. I don't mind at all though. It's a game I really wish I could get into - we have all versions here from the N64 original, to GameCube, Wii and 3DS. WiiU version has already been pre-ordered.
I came. I saw. I played.

Darmakwolf

Quote from: Ian Price on 2014-Nov-11
This sounds really cool and well done for creating something like this. Have you looked at Super Smashland, the GB styled Smash Bros. game?

While I love the whole idea behind Super Smash Bros, I find the game unplayable. To me it's nothing more than random button presses and losing where my player is before being beaten to a pulp by Bowser or Donkey Kong etc. My son loves it though, so I'm subjected to hours and hours of videos, gameplay and talking. I don't mind at all though. It's a game I really wish I could get into - we have all versions here from the N64 original, to GameCube, Wii and 3DS. WiiU version has already been pre-ordered.

I can see where you're coming from. My game differs from Smash Bros on several levels, however. It's not based on "smashing" characters off of ledges and sides, like smash bros. It's and HP-based strategical battle where you have to exploit the weaknesses of individual characters to win. Using the right movement and attack pattens will get you the advantage. The random events add to battle variation. It's quite a blast if you get the right combination of players in a battle, and the music/character nostalgia is fun for players who remember the golden era of video games.

Darmakwolf

(Latest DL link is on 1st and last page. https://www.dropbox.com/s/v257tj06lx5cq61/UBB%200.74.zip?dl=0 )

nabz32

Wow, nice Idea,
I was an absolute smash brothers fan back in the N64 times,
somehow I didn´t liked the Wii version as much though.

Would love to try it, but the filedropper Link to the latest version don´t seem to be working

Darmakwolf

Quote from: nabz32 on 2014-Nov-19
Wow, nice Idea,
I was an absolute smash brothers fan back in the N64 times,
somehow I didn´t liked the Wii version as much though.

Would love to try it, but the filedropper Link to the latest version don´t seem to be working

I'm updating it some more tonight, I'll have a fresh upload for you to try soon. Filedropper tends to delete uploads a few days after no one uses it.

Darmakwolf

Update 066! Added Many fixes, improvements, and content. Sniper Joe was finished, and Meta Axe-Knight from Kirby was added! Added support for controllers that ONLY have a dpad. Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v257tj06lx5cq61/UBB%200.74.zip?dl=0

erico

damn it! I must give this a try...have to wait till wednesday, end of semester at school :(

Darmakwolf

Quote from: erico on 2014-Nov-24
damn it! I must give this a try...have to wait till wednesday, end of semester at school :(

Keep an eye out for more updates. I'm adding a big "items" patch soon!

nabz32

downloaded it.

Good that there is now support for joysticks with d-pad only,
so I was able to connect my Amiga USB joystick for testing purposes.
I had some problems with the cursor snapping back to previous position with the Amiga controller ( DPad only ).
The other controller I used was a 360 controller.

Good work on the "rains" ( I saw Wily , toadstool and weed rain ).
I tried metroid first and have one question is it possible to escape the metroids grasp while he is leeching?
The idea of some Attacks of certain characters taking away some of your HP is nice.
I see if I can test it against a real opponent soon ( maybe at the comming weekend ).
There are still many characters for me to try out.

Good work so far :good: