GP2X - GLBasic Competition 2007/2008 - THE RESULTS

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

http://www.glbasic.com/data/games-gp2x-compo/gp2x-results.pdf

Here's the winners and the prizes (If you prefer having 2 dance mats instead of a GLBasic SDK, drop me an email)

There's absolutely no losers in this competition and if there were a wooden spoon for the worst game, I'd have to keep it myself this time. I very much appreciated all your entries and have a great time playing each of them.
I also want to encourage you, whose entries were still work-in-progress, to finish that game.

All in all it was a lot of work. Mainly because there were some issues with the GP2X compiler. But it was worth every second. You helped a lot, making GLBasic more robust and known. You built a great community here. You created great games for the GP2X.

Thank you very much.

BasicMe

Congratulations to you Ian, Andy, and PeeJay!  In my opinion these winning entries were well deserved!

I enjoyed taking part in this competition, and look forward to the next one.  ;)

Achim

Congrats to all winners ! Was a pleasure and also looking for the next competition to come :D

CYA !
- www.softworxs.de -
[Be different - play smart]

Simon Parzer

QuoteAll in all it was a lot of work. Mainly because there were some issues with the GP2X compiler. But it was worth every second. You helped a lot, making GLBasic more robust and known. You built a great community here. You created great games for the GP2X.
It will be a lot more work in the future. There are still numerous issues I had to work around while creating my game and which haven't been resolved yet. Maybe I'll post them some time, some of them are dangerous.

Now my comment on the judging, it's unacceptable for me to give out 3 prices and throw everyone else on the 4th place. It's like saying "we didn't bother judging really, we just picked what we thought were the best three entries". Also, there was no comment why those three were picked, no individual ratings (there were three judges and several voting criteria, remember?), and no comment on the games whatsoever, not even on the winner.
EDIT: Forget that, there is a PDF link with ratings on the top of Gernot's post which I missed.

AndyH

Congratulations Ian, and well done Peejay and everyone else.

Simon, take a look at the pdf for the scores.

I've seen GLB grow immensely over the time of the competition, there's new commands and plenty of fixes and other updates.  I've not got anything serious at all holding me back (the only thing that was a problem was the lock up on the PPC version but that is fixed now :)) and only wish list items left on my list... if you have bugs or problems please post them so something can be done about them.

Simon Parzer

Whoops, completely overlooked the PDF link. Maybe you could write something like "for a more comprehensive view of the individual scores see this PDF file" instead of just putting a link at the top. Now I'll have to take back some of what I said, of course.
It wouldn't hurt however to have this announcement on a seperate page, you know, more readable. This forum with its weird layout and tiny fonts just sucks ;)

PeeJay

Hearty congrats to all involved - as I have always maintained, managing to see a project through to completion is a fantastic achievement in itself (as the number of half finished projects I have sitting on my hard drive will testify!)
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Quasist

Quote from: GernotFrischif there were a wooden spoon for the worst game, I'd have to keep it myself this time.
There many other ways to commit suicide, but stabbing yourself with wooden spoon is kinda funny.

jbrodack

there should be some general comments on why certain games where chosen.  Blox was very well done so i have no problem with that choice.  mouth trap was good too though I'd like to see AI in the game instead of enemies moving back and forth which makes things way too easy.  Third place has me baffled though as I thought that was one of the weaker entries with touchscreen not really doing much for it.

Something like Chroma, Muepp Muepp, Klaur, or General Promise would have made a better third place in my opinion.

Anyway some great games and I hope they all get continued development and extra features.

This contest makes me glad I got a gp2x f200 for christmas though i already had an f100

S.O.P.M.

Great, that B'lox is first. The name is so similar to one of my first GLB projects ;)
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,2201
Notebook PC Samsung E372 Core i5 @ 2,6 GHz; 4 GB RAM; Win 7 Home Premium

Hatonastick

Oh way to go guys! :)  I should have won though, with my concept game which never saw a line of code written. ;)  Congrats to all!

Ian Price

I've literally just got back from my hols and I'm greeted with this fantastic news. I haven't had a chance to read the full reviews yet, but I'd like to say congrats to Andy and PeeJay, however I also have to thank so many people for helping get B'lox! to be the game it is. It really was more than a solo effort and there was an overwhelmingly positive response to my requests for help so that the game was as playable as it could possibly be.

I'd also like to say that I was really impressed by many of the ideas behind in some of the entries, and it's a shame that some of them are still WIP - let's see them all finished.

Anyway, many thanks to Gernot for creating a great language and responding to all our needs, wants and criticisms of GLBasic and for organising such a great competition.

Thankyou to each and every one of you :)
I came. I saw. I played.

AndyH

Quote from: jbrodackmouth trap was good too though I'd like to see AI in the game instead of enemies moving back and forth which makes things way too easy.
I'll release an updated version soon.  BTW, there are two other movement patterns rather than just paths - one steers towards you and another does the same when you are close.

BumbleBee

:bed:...get an F200...cool prize...can't believe it...i'm so excited...oh yes...What the hell...Oh, it was just a dream. What a pity. ;)

Congrats to all!

Cheers
The day will come...

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570k, 3.4GHz, AMD Radeon 7800 , 8 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64Bit

bigsofty

Well cone guys and congrats to the winners! :D

Where can the entries be downloaded?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)