OpenFeint and iPad not working... is it time for "Game Center" *update*

Previous topic - Next topic

Millerszone

With Xcode I have to build with armv7 for the iPad or I get warnings. I think I read that OpenFeint needs to
be armv6 to work, is this true?

Is anyone using OpenFeint and GLBasic on the iPad?

Hardware: iMac 27", MacBook Air, PC 3.5Ghz Quad
Developing Tools: GLBasic SDK, Gideros Studio, PureBasic
Developing for: iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, webOS, HTML5

blackway

Hi Millerszone....
I guess that you are talking about trucidare's wrapper.... Sadly I'm the one that is giving you the bad news.... After IOS 4.x the wrapper isn't working anymore....   If you are building for Iphone\Ipod you can build using armv6 and you don't get any error or warning... but when you run the game (if it doesn't crash) you will see in the debug console a lot of warnings about memory leaks... I saw the memory leaks when I implemented Openfeint in Roll'n'Fall and I submited the game to App Store because the game runs ok anyway...but , I never though that some customer could have crashes at start because of that and I got a few bad reviews....   :(
The solution was submit a new version without Openfeint support....  Now I think that all the people here must know about this issue... Maybe Gernot or Trucidare must edit the post and erase the link to the wrapper...
Greetings....

Millerszone

Thanks for the info blackway.

If that's the case, then it's probably not be worth updating the wrapper for OpenFeint,
now with "Game Center" available for all iplatforms, that looks like the way to go.

Maybe we can all pitch in and get a "Game Center" wrapper working.

blackway

trucidare

MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

Kitty Hello

IMO game center sucks big time. I have only one friend there and no idea how to get more.

Slydog

I can imagine Game Center must suck right now.
It's marketed as more of a social experience, so without friends, it's not very social!

The 'BEST' method is to offer both Game Center and OpenFeint and let the user decide which one he prefers.

Now, can somebody make a wrapper that combines both of those, with a single method for connecting to either.
Well, maybe not the easiest idea!  :D
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

blackway

Quotewho said?
It's a joke.... or isn't it? :P
You are the wrapper man!  :good:

Maybe Gernot is right about Game Center but Apple is pushing it and it's a good marketing tool for our games "the game supports Game Center"

Bye!

trucidare

i can try to make an open wrapper for new openfeint - openfeint interacts with game center now, so both are given

Millerszone

Quote from: Slydog on 2010-Dec-02
The 'BEST' method is to offer both Game Center and OpenFeint and let the user decide which one he prefers.

Now, can somebody make a wrapper that combines both of those, with a single method for connecting to either.
Well, maybe not the easiest idea!  :D

Quote from: trucidare on 2010-Dec-02
i can try to make an open wrapper for new openfeint - openfeint interacts with game center now, so both are given

That's what I wanted to hear.
I'll take either one for now.

Thanks!

blackway

Quote from: trucidare on 2010-Dec-02

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat !!!!  :nw:

trucidare

if anyone got crystal sdk - let me know - this is a new one and performant clone of open feint

mykyl66

Game center may suck but needed in this day and age as is the ability for in app purchases and anything else that keeps us from competing fully and properly in the ios market. Customers like features, features sell. In the current market place these kind of things are no longer a nice to have but a necessity to fully compete with others out there.

By the way open the game center app and choose the friends tab to add friends.

Mike

Wampus

*sigh* I dislike Game Center but since it is available on all iDevices and can be assumed a permanent feature supported indefinitely by Apple it makes sense to use it.

Kitty Hello

As said, the ne OpenFeint seems to have them both. That's probably the best way to go.