iPhone / iPod

Previous topic - Next topic

javiero

Gernot:

I have a ipod touch. If you need I can make some test.

Please, excuseme my very bad english, sorry.

Kitty Hello

Thank you for your offers.
We do have "both" versions of the iPod ourselfes. But we need to get it working on "untouched" iPods, first , before we can relase the SDK.

FutureCow

Will there be any iphone specific features? (Assuming the iphone HAS some specific features the other platforms don't have - can you tell I don't have one?! :D )

Kitty Hello

MultiTouch it has. But I try to implement MultiMouse on windows, too.

Kitty Hello

QuoteYou agree not to install, use or run the SDK on any non-Apple-branded computer...

Any ideas how to proceed?

johngood

Unity Pro 2.5 runs on Windows XP and you can buy the plugin/SDK for iPod/iPhone!
So Windows XP is not running on an Apple branded machine... :good:

Regards,
johngood
Dell Dimension 9200: Core 2 Duo 2.40GHz, 2GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1300Pro, Windows XP Pro SP3
Intel Mac SnowLeopard 10.6.4 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 2GB Ram
iPod Touch 2G 4.0 16 GB, iPod Touch 4G 4.1 32 GB

doimus

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Jun-23
QuoteYou agree not to install, use or run the SDK on any non-Apple-branded computer...

Any ideas how to proceed?

That was exactly  what I meant in earlier thread when I asked about compiling on non-apple computers.

You have to have an intel Mac to compile for iPhone, period. Actualy you need Intel mac to sign the app.

But there are ways around this. You could output Xcode package from whatever platform  and then use Mac just for signing.
Take a look how Shiva3D does it, for example. It's Win only 3D engine which does iPhone through Win/Xcode method.

@johngood - Unity runs on Windows, but Unity for iPhone (a separate app) runs on intel Mac only, ie  Unity != Unity for iPhone

Kitty Hello

Technically there's no problem. We can do code signing, we can compile. But Apple does not allow me to redistribute parts of the SDK.

So... What to do?

- Have all of you download the SDK manually, and become a criminal by extracting the required parts for the GLBasic compiler?
- Try to make dummy libraries that are compatible with Apple's (best idea, most work if possible at all)
- Contact Apple with a "pretty please and cherries on top"?
- Make a ZIP that you can open on your Mac in XCode to compile the release version?

I'm really in despair now. So sad.

doimus

Any messing with apple's stuff is potential cease-and-desist from them, so that rules first two options out. :x
Kindly asking never got anything for anyone when dealing with Apple, no matter how many cherries on top, but you should try. Who knows, they might even like the idea. But don't hope too much.

And that leaves us at the third option, which is exactly what Shiva3D does. Export zip and compile it from intel Mac.

Somebody else could provide info about breaching the sdk rules and extracting the required data, but it should be done somewhere else, by somebody unknown, who cannot be linked with this site and/or GLB, and I didn't just say this. :whistle:

Ian Price

There is an alternative Gernot - Create GLB for Apple branded machines. Then you could legally offer iPod/iPhone compilation.

I didn't say it was/is easy, but it would be 100% legit and above board. You could then sell your product to 2 different markets - OSX and Win. It's more work for you to create and support, but could bring in lots of game-starved Apple iWhatever developers (and money!)

If I had access to a Mac I wouldn't mind paying an additional fee for an Apple licence.
I came. I saw. I played.

FutureCow

It's unfortunate that we all probably won't get to build products for iphones. Damn you Apple!
Is the SDK freely available? If that's the case then is there a way you can make it (without getting you in trouble!) such that you say "you can only do this legally if you own an apple" to cover yourself but if people decide to do it otherwise then that's their choice?

ie. In the same way that it's not illegal to provide people with DVD copy software, but if they choose to copy games/movies etc with it then that's their problem.

doimus

Quote from: Ian Price on 2009-Jun-23
There is an alternative Gernot - Create GLB for Apple branded machines. Then you could legally offer iPod/iPhone compilation.

Agreed! That would be the best option actually.
Make it two separate products, price the Mac version at 200 euros  =D (Apple fans only buy expensive stuff! =D) and offer the cheaper cross-grade option for current owners.

javiero

Quote from: Ian Price on 2009-Jun-23

+1

I have a iMac too.  :whistle:

Maybe only a compiler (no editor, no nothing more), only a compiler for get the .gbas files and compile with all necesary.

MrTAToad

It might be best to spin-off the iPhone/iPod compliation for Intel Mac users...

Why0Why

Hi All,

I just purchased GLBasic based on this thread.  I want to do iPhone dev in a basic language.  I have been using Blitz for years and someone on the forums there mentioned GL.

I think the easiest solution is to require the code to be compiled on an Intel Mac.  I will still develop in a Windows machine.  I am sure there are users here that would be willing to compile code for glbasic users that don't have Intel Macs.

I really want to see this happen.  Keep up the good work!

Why0Why