Boardgames - Submbissions

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

OK: Here's the final list of the games I got:
http://www.glbasic.com/data/boardgames_compo2009.rar

Did I miss anyone?

FutureCow

Sorry guys, it's apparently my entry that is broken. I'll resubmit it to Gernot in about 12 hours from now when I am home after work. I'll also send him the source so he can compile it himself in case it's something funny on my system.

FutureCow

Hi All,
Gernot is having issues with my entry, but it plays fine on my pc.

I've uploaded it to rapidshare (sorry, it was the only free host I could think of in a hurry). Would someone mind downloading it and seeing if they can play it? 
If it's working the ship placement screen looks like the attached one. If it's not, it looks like this :
http://www.glbasic.com/pix/BattleShip_103_.png.png

Anyway, please try it and tell me if it works on your end or did I just waste 4 months (in which case I will NOT be happy! )
http://rapidshare.com/files/352278133/BattleShip.rar.html

Any other comments/constructive criticism welcome!  =D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ian Price

It doesn't work for me on Windows 7 at all. Comes up with an error message immediately - "Battleship.exe" has stopped working" :(
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

I found the bug. I'll send you an email. Phew!

FutureCow

Thanks Gernot! I owe you a beer or lots!  :booze:
Ian - I don't think the problem Gernot found is anything to do with your crash. It was a display problem he found, but not a crash.
Can you please make sure you have fontsmall.png and fontsmall.png.kern in the directory with the exe? If they're missing I think it crashes. If they're there (which they should be) then I'm stumped as to the cause. If you're happy to, I'll send you the source code and you can see if it the problem is related to it being compiled on Windows XP, or whether it's something in the source conflicting with Windows 7.

Update - Ian, can you download this .exe and see if it works? Gernot recompiled it for me and I _think_ he uses windows 7.
http://rapidshare.com/files/352312664/BattleShip.exe.html

Ian Price

Right. The game now works with Gernot's .EXE (i did have the fonts in the same folder BTW). But...

There are graphic problems :(

Some of these may be attributed to the screen size of the game - might be larger than the screen on my laptop (See attached images), the small text looks a bit fecked.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I came. I saw. I played.

FutureCow

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:D

The text may be having problems due to the kerning routine. I used a kerning routine off the forum and there's a few bugs in it. I haven't seen that problem before though. The only thing that may help (but I highly doubt it will) is to delete the fontsmall.png.kern file (it _should_ get recreated at startup) and see if that fixes things. I'll be writing my own kerning routine for my next project.

At least the dodgy text looks readable (though very ugly!)

It's so disappointing to find out it's not working on other people's machines when it works like a charm on mine. At least it's helping everyone else's chances of winning I suppose  :(

If people like the game enough that they want to play it past the first couple of games I'll change all the text to png images and get rid of the font kerning routines entirely. If anyone wants me to put in the effort, let me know.

Thanks Ian for testing for me too, I appreciate it.

Moru

Now I have tried your BattleShips and it all works fine except for my biggest ship won't show up when I place it, it sits there invisible. The other things I guess are due to what rules you were playing against as a kid. We were not allowed to place any ship next to anything else. Nice work though!

Kitty Hello

ok, I have all games in a zip now.
I'll update the first post, OK?

Albert

Playing in progress........ 5%  :-*

Albert

Quote from: Albert on 2010-Feb-18
Playing in progress........ 5%  :-*

Tried all of the entries and I must say, that BattleShip, Don't be angry human, Hippos and Mastermind (and Draco  ;/ ) are the best in graphics, control and playability.
Stop the thief is very interesting, hard to control. I'm sad that Parchis can't  make it  :(
My favorite is Don't be Angry Human! Well executed, really good game. Enjoy.

ynbniar

Apologies about the roughness of my entry, I couldn't finish and had to rush out a working build.

There are some issues but you should be able to play a complete game without too much going wrong.

Couple of additions to the README...

1.   The Return or Enter keys should select options, if they don't try Space Bar or mouse buttons.
2.   The "Miss a Turn" sleuth card might not be working properly but try it anyway.
3.   The sound effect for the subway is too long and there will always be 2 of them, either in the same thief movement or at the end of one thief move and the beginning of another. Will look at this at the weekend.
4.   The AI detectives are quite good but they are not invincible, trust me.
5.   There should be a congratulations sound effect when the game is won but it's broken, probably wrong format sound file.

Probably a few other things...feel free to PM me comments and bug reports.

Nobiag

In my opinion Mastermind is by far the best game. Its the only one that looks really polished and feels like a "real" game. I'm very critical when it comes to details, polishing and the overall feel of a game, so i was a bit dissapointed with some of the games, but Mastermind looks really really good.

The only thing i would wish for in Mastermind are drag & drop controls, i think that would give the game a better feel.

MrTAToad

I had no trouble with the Battleship game - ran it straight from the compressed file.

Thought it was pretty good.