Ongoing arcade project

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzy70

I have been slowly collecting items to make my own arcade machine so to speak just for the hell of it & now am another step closer to having all I need to build it.

These are the items I have acquired so far

• 36 inch TV with built in surround (5.1 DTS, Dolby Pro Logic)
  • Original Xbox version 1.6 (Clear crystal case) modded by me
  • Pair of Half leather car seats from a MGF roadster

All the above items I managed to get for free, the TV was given to me by a friend who replaced it with a 50" Lcd/Plasma, same with the xbox which he gave me a while back when his kids moved over to a 360 & PS3. The car seats came from another friend who was a car dealer that decided to break & sell an MGF he had due to the cost of repairing it was not worth it. Almost all the parts sold except the seats & I was toying with the idea of making a "Top Gear" type sofa with them but that never happened but I do use them as gaming seats though  =D

The items that are remaining to get are a steering wheel controller as well as a SFF pc like an old Dell 3100c etc (which I am currently watching one on eBay thats at £1 N/R & 2 days to go).

The reason for an Xbox & a PC is due emulation mainly, the pc will handle the Amiga & MAME side of things as well as remakes that I have accrued over the years, while the Xbox will deal with the 16bit console stuff (Snes, megadrive, Atari 2600 etc). While there is an Amiga & MAME emulator for the Xbox the Amiga side is not as easy to use or as established as the Windows/PC version & MAME is fine for really old games but struggles with some of the later ones. Also my Xbox games are copied onto the HD thanks to the mod.

I have made up adapter cables that allow me to use Amiga/Atari 9 pin digital joysticks on both the PC & Xbox as well as using an Xbox controller on the PC & all works well regarding that. More than likely I will dig out my PICmicro programmer & make an electronic switch box to save the hassle of cable swapping etc.

Luckily having a Dad who's a carpenter will save me a lot of hassle making the frame & base to hold it all in his workshop (also the trade discount on the wood is a huge bonus). I you think of a Sega Rally arcade game cabinet that's the sort of look I will probably go with.

Once I get the wheel controller & the PC then construction will begin  :enc:

Lee

btw the attached pic is not the seats I have as they are still in my mates unit but are the same type

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

bigsofty

Ooh sounds like a great project, it's something I may have a go at myself one day.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

chairs look great! what about a Delorian ´case´ to them? :P :good:

fuzzy70

Quote from: erico on 2012-Feb-24
chairs look great! what about a Delorian ´case´ to them? :P :good:

Seeing as the frame will be made from MDF I could always paint it silver for that "Delorian" look, TV is silver as well so thats a bonus  :P

I could even make up a L.E.D chain for that "Flux Capacitor" feel, but that might be taking things to far  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

erico

fuzzy70

Sadly the SFF PC I am currently looking at on ebay does not have a PCI-Express x16 slot, only a x1 version. I have a Radeon GFX card floating about that has a S-Video output so could plug it straight into the TV without having to use my scan converter (which does degrade the signal a fair bit).

Might have to look for a motherboard only auction as well & use the CPU/RAM/HD from the Dell.

Also just noticed another auction on Ebay for 3x original Xboxs with controllers for spares or repairs which might come in very handy as I can dismantle the controllers to make a more "Arcade" feel joystick (Arcade joysticks for MAME are not cheap) & also make use of the HD's. Even though they are only 8GB drives thats more than big enough for my Amiga/MAME emulation collection  =D

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

erico

I wonder about taito X machines, are they any cheap? they run win xp I guess, could handle all arcade needs as well as outputs...
just a guess though ::)

fuzzy70

Quote from: erico on 2012-Feb-25
I wonder about taito X machines, are they any cheap? they run win xp I guess, could handle all arcade needs as well as outputs...
just a guess though ::)

Could not find any on Ebay but even PCB's are not that cheap, although I did see lots of auctions for arcade buttons & joysticks which will be used when I get to that stage. The parts add up to around £10-15 which is a lot cheaper than the £80+ for pre-built controllers, I'll just make up a custom loom & solder onto the Xbox controller PCB.

Another thing I may need to do is program a front end for MAME & possibly Win-UAE as I have not come across one yet that I like or that can be controlled with a joystick, especially the Win-UAE front end. Worst case scenario is that I could always use the trackball I have laying around for anything that requires mouse control.

Lee
- "These go to eleven."