Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

Great achiv. Mr.plow.
Will be tryint out in a few days :)

bigsofty

Looks pretty authentic, well done!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrPlow

Thanks - I had to leave some differences to appease the 'Gods'
But hopefully many wont notice too much - :)
Comp:

bigsofty

Smart move, Taito has trademarked every one of the original invaders design separately.  :S

I like the top ones design, reminds me of Space Panic another great arcade game from that era... now I am really showing my age!  :D
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

cool. Someone on retroremakes once wrote an algorithm to create space invaders-style pixel images. But I can't find it anymore...

MrPlow

That would be nice - procedurally generated graphics for a shooter.
Comp:

erico

the generator I think is this one:
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?t=2620&p=83105

I havent tried your game yet plow, soon.

erico

Just gave it a spin. Played about 4 games. Last one till level 15 scoring about 11k.

Presentation and game package all fine and smooth. It took me a while to notice the control switch on the menu but everything from installing, menu switches, ingame , pause and exit worked fine.

The gfx felt very kin to the 2600, specially the part above the controls and the sprites. I felt a little bit bugged by the resolution variation but that is just the purist inside me and a very personal thing.

Gameplay felt too easy. I didnt notice increase on it at all during 15 stages and the saucer showed up only twice. I did notice an ocasinal faster enemy bullet around stage 8 but it did not make the game harder for me.

I didnt enjoy the blinking bullets at first but then got along with it and started liking its distractive feats. It was probably because they blink eractic. But all fine.

Player explosion is quite cool but the enemies ones is a bit strange and I noticed some don't explode at all, they just disapear.

Overall a very neat retro experience and evrything goes smooth but I trully miss more content and a higher difficult level escalation. Well done! :)

MrPlow

Thanks so much Erico! Great feedback!

I will look into Ramping up the difficulty and the Mothership

The blinking missiles is to re-create the 2600 missile feel (limitations) - also the explosions not always showing was a feature of the 2600 version too :)

Controller should work if plugged in.

I am hoping to add more features later on - maybe two player and more variety from the 2600 modes (zig zig shots etc.)
It's basic enough but a lot of the retro players give me grief for making games too hard....this time I went too much the other way...
:D

Comp:

SnooPI

Quote from: bigsofty
Taito has trademarked every one of the original invaders design separately.  :S
It's a bit ridiculous  ;/

Your version really looks like the original MrPlow, good job!
I looked a little at all of your retro games, you are really gifted and very prolific.
I hope you will do a lot of downloads and sales in 2020  :good:

erico

Setting up a balanced difficult level is a bit tough for me too.
As I go about testing and deving, I tend to increase it so it suits me...at the end the game is impossible for new commers...then...a kid pops out of nowhere and beat the game like peeling a banana. :)

MrPlow

yes, always tricky, can't suit everyone,

Thanks SnooPI - I will try :)
Comp: