Windows 8.1

Previous topic - Next topic

Darmakwolf

I never thought I'd be posting this but... well. Windows 8.1 isn't half bad. It has options to turn off all the nasty mobile app $!#*, it boots straight to the desktop, no "start screen," and best of all, there's a START BUTTON. (I've modified it to actually have a menu though. normally it brings you to the horrid barney the dinosaur themed full-screen tile hell.) For some reason compile time is quicker in both GLB and C# than on 8.0, and my game no longer has lag spikes where it would drop to 30-40 fps for a while. I can't complain I guess! (Except for the upgrade process. It's not in Windows Update... nor is there a .iso. It's in the METRO STORE... *facepalm*) At least it was free. Image attached :)

Wampus

Quote from: Darmakwolf on 2013-Oct-19
(I've modified it to actually have a menu though. normally it brings you to the horrid barney the dinosaur themed full-screen tile hell.)

Hahah! Good description.

I still don't want to run Win8 as anything but a VM and I bought received a couple of copies of Win7 for future builds so I won't have to. Even still, I do appreciate the new update.

MrTAToad

And GLBasic works fine in 8.1...

Darmakwolf

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2013-Oct-19
And GLBasic works fine in 8.1...

Yup. Compile times are 2-3 seconds faster on the exact same machine, and at least for me, games are smoother. That might be a driver related thing, it did update my Nvidia driver upon updating.

mrplant

That actually looks useable.

What program exactly did you use to get back the full start menu?

Thanks.

Darmakwolf

Quote from: mrplant on 2013-Oct-20
That actually looks useable.

What program exactly did you use to get back the full start menu?

Thanks.

StartIsBack. Best start menu for windows 8 I've found yet. PM me and I'll give you a license for it. I bought it, and it comes with two keys, one for a friend!