Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Darmakwolf

• Dr. Type
  • Aoooooooo - the werewolves of London!
    • View Profile
Windows 8.1
« on: 2013-Oct-19 »
I never thought I'd be posting this but... well. Windows 8.1 isn't half bad. It has options to turn off all the nasty mobile app $!#*, it boots straight to the desktop, no "start screen," and best of all, there's a START BUTTON. (I've modified it to actually have a menu though. normally it brings you to the horrid barney the dinosaur themed full-screen tile hell.) For some reason compile time is quicker in both GLB and C# than on 8.0, and my game no longer has lag spikes where it would drop to 30-40 fps for a while. I can't complain I guess! (Except for the upgrade process. It's not in Windows Update... nor is there a .iso. It's in the METRO STORE... *facepalm*) At least it was free. Image attached :)

Offline Wampus

• Prof. Inline
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: 2013-Oct-19 »
(I've modified it to actually have a menu though. normally it brings you to the horrid barney the dinosaur themed full-screen tile hell.)

Hahah! Good description.

I still don't want to run Win8 as anything but a VM and I bought received a couple of copies of Win7 for future builds so I won't have to. Even still, I do appreciate the new update.

MrTAToad

« Reply #2 on: 2013-Oct-19 »
And GLBasic works fine in 8.1...

Offline Darmakwolf

• Dr. Type
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-Oct-19 »
And GLBasic works fine in 8.1...

Yup. Compile times are 2-3 seconds faster on the exact same machine, and at least for me, games are smoother. That might be a driver related thing, it did update my Nvidia driver upon updating.

Offline mrplant

• Mr. Polyvector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-Oct-20 »
That actually looks useable.

What program exactly did you use to get back the full start menu?

Thanks.

Offline Darmakwolf

• Dr. Type
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-Oct-20 »
That actually looks useable.

What program exactly did you use to get back the full start menu?

Thanks.

StartIsBack. Best start menu for windows 8 I've found yet. PM me and I'll give you a license for it. I bought it, and it comes with two keys, one for a friend!