GLBASIC updates this year?

Previous topic - Next topic

loftcat

Just wondering if anyone has heard about any updates coming to GLB this year? It seems very quiet so far... I know last year we had several small updates which although small were nice to see things still getting updated  :)

Qedo

what do you miss? my problem are ideas. I should do a refresher on my brain  =D

loftcat

That's a really good question! Day to day I'm getting on fine with GLB but always nice to see new things appearing however small.
I suppose my no.1 thing for me would be to able to compile to the latest Mac OS and 64 bit Linux, but I know from previous discussions this is no mean feat :)

Kitty Hello

I see. A port to cmake is overdue. That way you could open it in e.g. QtCreator on Linux or Mac and it "should" run.
Currently, my arm is broken, however.  :help:

loftcat

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2022-Sep-05
I see. A port to cmake is overdue. That way you could open it in e.g. QtCreator on Linux or Mac and it "should" run.

Sorry to hear about your arm, I hope you get well soon!  :)
QtCreator is not something I've seen before but this sounds interesting!

erico

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2022-Sep-05
Oh man, that is bad. Get well fast! :)
Broke my right hand sow years ago. I could do single hand coding but photoshoping was quite impossible.

dreamerman

Linux was one of targets for previous GLB versions, and should be possible, may require some changes/updates in compilation parameters, but more important would be Steam OS 2/3 support without need to install additional libraries.
MacOS even without official AppStore also would be nice - Steam is enough, not sure what are restrictions on OpenGL emulation on M1/Arm devices.
I will patiently wait for any info about this ;)
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

spacefractal

Im can tell glbasic does run fine on Steam Deck, so here Linux port is not required, but its dont like the MUSIC commands througts (as its open a fullscreen media player window instead, cause the games unplayable). Rest seen to work fine hopefully. Im is currectly gonna to fix all my 5 games, so hopefully can run on the Steam Deck. But currectly im is locked out by updating my games for some odd reasons for testing (using a beta branch)..... hmmm.

but instead im just using wav by now with sample. Better than it fails. We dont have those bandwidth limits anymore like this, so im dont bother with that, even the game might grow up by 20-30mb or such. Depend on game.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Schranz0r

You can try fmod or soloud instead?
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

spacefractal

im could. im just diddent want to do that when we have so much disc drive today anyway. its about 20-50mb or such and music now in highst quality. hihi. Got the 3th game to work, which was quite a bit annoying.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

dreamerman

Steam OS is using Proton for translating/emulating windows apps, I know that even AAA games are working great with it but native binary is just straight better, and there always can be some possible issues or restrictions with Proton.
To be able to properly (or safely) use SteamAPI (like virtual keyboard) or SteamDeck specific controls Linux build will be most likely required.
Next thing is that other companies may use SteamOS for their handheld devices (Ayn, AyaNeo etc), but not all will be so powerfully, and beside that, native game will be more optimized and won't drain battery so hard as emulated one.
And beside SteamOS there are other Linux distributions, and not everyone want's to configure additional tools like Proton to play some particular game, so normal build option for them would be very welcome.
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020