So, OUYA. Will YA?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Exellent work. Thankyou for sharing all this with us (even if we don't own an OUYA (yet?))
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

The Ouya controller input now works great with all buttons as well the trackpad.

The Wired Xbox controller did im not the must luck with. While the device can work with digital inputs, the left stick and the digital stick send the same keycode in KeyDown event, which im cant seperated (unlike its was possible with Ouya).

Also support for Xperia Play is mostly done too (with missing touchpad events, but when its possible to loan that one from a friend, its would been very easy done).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

Im have just began to rewrite the controller code again. Even its supports ouya nicely, the supporting rest of the android controllers can been nightmare in the current form.

Instead im now write a java game controller class with multiply controller user as well possible auto remap known controllers as well unknown controllers (throught remapping).

This page is the main reason doing that:
http://docs.nvidia.com/tegra/data/How_To_Support_Android_Game_Controllers.html#Controller_Config_Screen
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

This take some longer time as excepted because im dedicated doing a general Android game controller support for api-12, and pointing mouse events from api-10 (hence SDK 4.0+ is required with backward support library, android-support-v4.jar in the templeteproj/libs folder).

So im are going doing a new GameControllers.java with some code added to SDLActivity.java.

Any known controllers will been auto remapped in the class, without require any code in glbasic (by now only OUYA Game Controllers).

Those devices, that need remapping, will hopefully been done dirctly in java when a new unknown controller is detected (can only been detected when its is on move or a key pressed, not when plugged in). Howover you do will need one simple java call (in the game init) to tell which buttons that is used in the game.

Im have still not done that part yet.

Also multiplayer will been supported too (require thier own usb based device, not keyevents only).

when that is done im will create a new thread in the code snippet with the whole templateproj folder.

erico

Great news on that front Space! Congratulations!

I have some multiplayer game ideas, and even one I coded in the past.
They are pretty much 4 player´s kind of game(same machine), and I would not know how to push this to an android device.

It looks like what you are doing could solve this.

The number of announced TV-CONSOLE/HANDHELD-ANDROIDS are going up quite fast.

erico

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

new joypad code still all working again and mutltiplayer part seen can been works in that way it does, even untested. Now remapping for unknown deviceds missing as well inapp purchase. Howover remapping is not important for OYUA really.

Yes we mightbeen to late, but the console is still very new and there is still not that many games, so we dont got drown.

Hopefully im finish my controller code so much as im can, so im will release that on 1. aug (with or without inapp) with full projecttemp download (but without required android ndk/sdk 4.0 or v4.1 upgrade).

Greedy Mouse run nicely now and fully playable, after im got a few FPS gain by using direct instr scanning to finding the button code (big stringfield can cause the thing to been to slow, if there is 30-40 events to been parsed). Also im will remap the game, so you actuelly can play the whole game with one hand with OUYA joypad (using analog control and both trigges as alternative control).

Still no update on the w8-ben issue (im dont have that damn printer, but hopefully can got it printed in few days).

But of course many of us might want to relaease some free game to that console.....

erico

Oh no, I don´t believe we are late. There is still some time to get to the 'new' wagon.
This might prove to be an excellent side platform sale wise.

There is one dev there that uses the 1 play free per day model you commented before.
This might fit my game.

Sales don´t quite seem bad either, considering most of those devs have their games on other platforms.

Marmor

Never to late ..

Cant wait ...
Gimme da code !

;)

spacefractal

remapping for new pads with digital buttons seen just works now. Now im need do a way for the analoge buttons and sticks.

Howover there is property a bug in the OUYA Generic Xbox USB driver (im uses a Xbox controller from GameStop), which mean the Xbox dpad will NOT work at all, if you want to use the left analog controller with analog input. Nothing im can due here.

The reason is both controller Events was sent as a SOURCE_JOYSTICK event, while the Left JPad should have sent an SOURCE_DPAD event instead, but its dosent do that. The OUYA controller is of course implemented that correct as well PS3 should do the same (still not tested).

MrTAToad

Sounds like it would be something good to support - although I suspect Gernot is going to be too busy at the moment to add another platform...

erico

Agreed mr. T . But we see young days for the oyhea. And such being android, it may not be that hard as, like let´s say, GCW0.
Gernot might come to have time for it later.
Not that I can help much on the way of ouyeah/android :(, but it does look promising.

Chaps are doing a great job on this thread. I really wish to see the first GLB game going on it and very successful.

Space, how is Greedy Mouse doing? Still handling that w8 stuff or is that now achieved?

spacefractal

I'm still not possible printing out With w8 issue. So inapp not looked on the (here would been nice f five sprites could send me code on that part).

Greedy Mouse run nice with nice framerate now and look nice, even tiles texture required upscaling (due limit of texture support, wich auto detect now). With that in mind I'm should update to google play too, but my htc desire hd got water dead, so need get a another android 2.3 device (I'm want to sure the game still works on a least api-9). Property a little htc wildfire-s.

Howover I'm do still doing finish off the new remappable controller code with some bits missing (showing message in game and possible remap analog controls). Even the previous ouya controller code was working, I'm was not apply with the unflexable code.

I'm hope the game out somewhere in aug month.

erico

Great to hear Space!

Too bad about the w8 stuff :( .
Maybe Five comes around to the rescue on the in app part and helps. :good:

Your htc got water dead? Like it fell on the toylet? =D Jokes aside, I´m sorry to hear, my last phone I sent to trash by mistake. :'(

Even though, keep it up, I have great hopes that Greedy Mouse will be the first GLB game to sport there! :good:
I also hope the samsung model is getting you some good bucks!

Cheers!