Codesnippets > Code Snippets

A* path finder (with diagonals)

(1/5) > >>

Wampus:
Attached is code for an A* path finding algorithm and example test. Although its no match for the speed of FINDPATH it can do diagonals. It also won't violate the edges of blocks like some path finders do. Wrote the code a while ago. Thought someone might like, need or find it interesting.

The example code compares speeds with the FINDPATH command and another pathfinding routine I found on the forum by Kanonet. It runs the path finding algorithms 60 times each before comparing time taken. It then shows the actual paths found on a map as a demonstration.

Sorry the global variables the routine needs aren't separated out more clearly. I'm sure if you want to use it for your own stuff you'll work it out though. Would make a good match with the line of sight code I wrote before  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

bigsofty:
Impressive, well done!  :good:

erico:
really nice, although I can´t make much out of the code...
Is going by the woods allowed? is there such a thing as a time penalty for non-open terrains?

matchy:
Very interesting and a good reference for starting on precision path finding.  8)

Wampus:

--- Quote from: erico on 2011-May-27 ---really nice, although I can´t make much out of the code...
Is going by the woods allowed? is there such a thing as a time penalty for non-open terrains?

--- End quote ---

At the time I didn't envision making the code available so its not as clear as it could be. Time permitting, of which I have very little nowadays, I would want release it as part of an open-source turn-based strategy game. I would more carefully comment it in that case.

Going by the woods is allowed but there is a time penalty. It costs twice as much as open ground in the given example, i.e. is twice as slow. Sometimes its worth it to cut corners, other times better to go around.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version