Confusing enrollment into the Iphone Dev program

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHart

Hi folks,

I just enrolled to the IPhone Standard Developer Program. Also I got an email about the purchase details.
In the FAQ I read that you can check the status of the process on the right column. Well, there it still
gives me the option to enroll. Did you experience this too?

I hope things go smoothly, as my Adress contains an ? one of the special german characters in the alphabet.
In my profile details it looks cryptic once typed in there. I read in the FAQ also that the adress of the purchase and
has to be same to the one who paid for it. So I hope that this doesn't give a problem.

Michael

Uncle

Hi Mike, no need to worry.  Indeed the enrollment process is confusing.  I remember it saying something along the lines that everything had been completed when it wasn't.  It was far from clear.  Anyway the next day I got another email confirming all was complete and could then log into the dev area properly.

MikeHart

Hi Andrew,

yes indeed it is a confusing webdesign. I log out and THEN I saw a link "check your enrollment status" where I had to login again and THEN I saw that is processing. Weird but hey, I ordered now an Ipod touch which should arrive next week. So it doesn't matter if it takes a day or two anyway.

Michael

MikeHart

Got it today. Within 24 hours, they didn't promise to much! :)

MikeHart

Well, and a big WELL.  ;/

How many agreements and licenses and sign up this and that, someone has to do to actually get your app on a device and later on into the store is a HUGE task. They even have several videos (thank god) to explain how to get things done. I'm sure there are people who gave up at this stage.  =D
Once you are through this setup stage then I'm sure it is a no brainer, but at the beginning it looks overwelming.

StuC_Ovine

Yea so much "its Apple it just works"....  couple that and you have to actually use a MAC makes the whole process a nightmare :)

Once setup tho its been working fine, and I only have to press a few buttons on the MAC so i really dont have to use that either ( yup ?700 on a machine I hate )

Kitty Hello

The code signing and certificate stuff is totally blowing my mind. Really, as if objC would have stopped people from writing games in the first place... ;)

Why-o-why can't they do this code sign when they release the program and don't bother us with that...

MikeHart

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Aug-26
The code signing and certificate stuff is totally blowing my mind. Really, as if objC would have stopped people from writing games in the first place... ;)

Why-o-why can't they do this code sign when they release the program and don't bother us with that...

I'll sign this blindly.

doimus

I'm about to buy intel mac mini (when Snow Leopard arrives) and go through the enrollment process myself. I hope dealing with Apple will go fine.

But the ugly part for me is my own government (I'm in Croatia) with their bloodsucking taxes. I'm basically screwed. If  I want to do sell something on the appstore, I better start a company. Then I will receive less than 40% of what my app makes.
But I can't start a company because I already work for software company (unfair competition, in their words).
So, if I decide to work as an individual, and I must do it that way, I will earn only 25% of overall app sales.
That includes Apple's share, US taxation, Croatian taxation. Horrors.

Kitty Hello

Here in Germany, we have a program, that when you're running your own business and your income/year < 18500,-EUR, you don't have to pay taxes. Noone told me, thus I payed taxes like crazy for years, but now I took that branch.

MikeHart

Wait Gernot, that is only if this is the only income. If you have a regular job, then you still add the plus to your income. What you most likely don't pay is the Gewerbesteuer if you are under 25.000.