Long term Mac Cursor Key problem.. ?

Previous topic - Next topic

BasicMe

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Jul-07
I just remembered - my Mac wireless BT keyboard cursors keys show very odd numerals when paired with my Touchpad and are non-responsive. I wonder if that's part of the problem?

Hmm...I use a wireless keyboard with my Mac mini, but the cursor keys seem to work fine & are responsive.  (Until the lock-up, of course...)

Ian Price

I never stated that the keyboard doesn't work fine with my Mac Mini - the cursors don't work properly with TouchPad with GLB apps. All other keys work fine, but not the cursors.

I suspect that there may a disparity between GLB and the key values that the cursor keys produce for Mac. On TouchPad the values returned for the cursors are not the 200, 203,205 and 208 (or whatever) as expected on Windows and others systems - IIRC the values returned are higher than 255. But this may be a TP problem and nothing to do with the Mac keyboard at all (in fact I tried to buy a proper HP TP keyboard for this very reason - HP accepted the order, took my money then cancelled a couple of weeks later, stating that they were out of stock :()

Dunno.

I came. I saw. I played.

BasicMe

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Jul-08
I never stated that the keyboard doesn't work fine with my Mac Mini - the cursors don't work properly with TouchPad with GLB apps. All other keys work fine, but not the cursors.

Apologies, I misunderstood. I'm not familiar with what a Touchpad is (I'm primarily a PC guy), so I assumed it was a specific type of Mac, not a peripheral.  ;/

Ian Price

The TouchPad is an iPad like tablet from HP (Hewlett Packard). It allows BT tethering/pairing of keyboards and HIDs but the Apple keyboard one gave strange results (as I mentioned). I should have made my original post a bit clearer :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

you can get key-codes > 255 on a mac? That might be an error.

BasicMe

Gernot,

Any thoughts about the lockup part?  This seems to be a pretty critical issue...based upon my tests, it appears that any GLB program compiled for Mac can lock up if the user presses the wrong keys.  And it happens regardless of whether the GLB program actually looks for keypresses or not!

mrplant

Hi - just been revisiting this thread after 6 months.

Well glad I wasn't going mad! lol

For what its worth I went away in a cottage for a week and was writing my game on a MacBook which kept locking up when scanning for cursor keys - I was also checking for the Enter key as well.

The lockup required a force quit - if I was able to move focus and manage to do it - a few times I just had to hit reset.

I can confirm that it was later testing on my iMac that made this issue re-occur and I removed the cursor checks - my game to my knowledge does not lock up now and I still check for the Enter key.

So I had the problem on two different MACS. It has never done this on the MACS when I boot them into Windows 7 natively using BootCamp.

I  will test the interesting test program earlier in this thread and report back my results. Latest non beta version here as always.

I am running the GM Seed of Mountain Lion here so can test on that - Lion had its share of obscure bugs - anyone get this problem on Snow Leapord? Just a thought...

ML seems very stable and for the first time since running Lion, this particular iMac now wakes from SLEEP mode every day which is a huge timesaver for me!

later...

erico

I wonder if it has anything to actually do with the keyboard, would that be the same if on a PC hackintosh?

I spending the week at my folks place, where my old lap has a partition with osx 10.69 hackintosh style, I wonder if it will behave the same, will give a test later today.

erico

ok tested on a hackintosh, produces the same behaviour, crash with a tum sound.
So it must be the way the osx deals with the keyboard I guess. :sick:

spacefractal

Today I have seen this bug happens to here and just suddently hang. I guess its the extractly same bug (ENTER ENTER ENTER UP DOWN hang it).

Here its on a Apple MiniMac from last year using lasets Lion with a Apple keyboard and lastest v10 (not checked with early v11 beta). Also this is not a hackingtosh, but can also happens on the real gear.

So its a confirmed bug and hope its got fixed in v11.

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

r0ber7

Hmm... Good thing I used WASD. Weird bug though,

erico

yep, pretty weird bug, happened on at least 3 different macs from my friends too.
It could be bad for you if you are using the arrows+enter or your main menu for example. :noggin: