Could we (the community) help collectively promote GLBasic?

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus

I've been feeling something for a time and thought I should bring it up. In my opinion, for what it is and what it can do, GLBasic isn't well known enough.

Just prior to posting I was looking at a Wikipedia page about mobile application development. I noticed there was a list of development kits that support one or more platforms and GLBasic wasn't on the list, despite the very wide platform support it offers.

The above strikes me as crazy. I've tried a lot of the dev kits listed and GLBasic is one of the most flexible I've seen. Its not just what it can do but the price, speed of development time and ease of use that, on balance, make it stand out.

I'd like to propose a group project: We could collectively promote GLBasic on the web - make people aware it exists and what it can do.

Even as an experiment it would be interesting to see what we'd be capable of and what impact it had if a lot of us put in an effort. Whether its people working alone or collaborating in a targeted and coordinated way, we'd all benefit somehow.

What do you think? Any ideas? And would you want to be in on such a thing?

MrTAToad

I've added GLBasic to one Wikipedia list (can't remember which though :) )

However, I have updated the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_programming_languages entry - change anything if I have the details wrong...

There are various other ways too - I have the GLBasic logo in the initial logo display routine.  I should also mention it in the description for Android too - do need to update it at some point.

bigsofty

I think this is a good idea. A simple way to promote the language is to add a link on your sig on any forums that you frequent. All your posts become mini ads.

Also, I think a "Powered by GLBasic", similar to Unity, would be a good idea. That is, a logo that is designed specifically for inclusion within apps.

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrTAToad

I use Erico's GLBasic graphic which I "borrowed" from his website, and modified slightly...

He's a very talented artist

Ruidesco

A GLBasic splash screen is one of the easiest publicity methods. There goes a proposal using Erico's logo.

[attachment deleted by admin]

fuzzy70

I have never been to keen on the "Powered By" type of splash screens unless it relates to hardware, "Created With" sounds more apt to me with regards to software. But that's just me  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Wampus

Signatures for dev forums is good, where possible. Created/powered with GLBasic is also good.

I wonder if a 2 min video featuring outwardly exciting looking apps/games/tools made with GLBasic and text explaining what its capable of would get some attention. My video editing skills are currently terrible (working on it) but maybe someone could put something together if we/I record some decent video footage?

I'm trying to think of ways to get through to people starting out with game development. I see a lot of people choose tools that are well marketed but too restrictive and better for dreaming than building something quick and learning ecessary long term skills.

spacefractal

just to mention as those splash screen might annoying users instead, specific if they are not skipable (in some commercial games there is 4-5 of them and its very annoying and even worse when doing on mobile games). So been careful here. People normaly dont care which language its made on.

Howover its would been pretty  to do that on credits as well on attract screen. That kind of screens is not splash and still nice to promote GlBasic without annoying.

In Greedy Mouse I might not even do any logo or splash screen (other than the loading one), so I relay on the credits screen as well on tips. I not want to wait more than necessity to play my game.....

PS. Yes "Powered By" should have been "created in". Its sound some hardware thing, which GlBasic is not. But that text can just removed and only show "GlBasic", and that it.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

hardyx

You can make a splash screen wich you can pass touching the screen, or an little icon in the title screen. You can put a mini banner in your web page/blog near the "Available in Appstore" or "Available in Android Market" icon.

Kitty Hello

A video showing all good GLBasic games in 2 mins would be awesome.

MrTAToad

If someone could provide some Youtube links (or even provide AVI files), that'll be easy enough to do...

Minion

IF MrToad = volunteering to make video
   IF You Want videos posted here = TRUE
       http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MIRjpK1THX0
   ELSE
      PRINT "Where ?"
   ENDIF
ELSE
   PRINT "Then who ?"
ENDIF

Kitty Hello

MAybe browsing the AppStore thread reveals some candy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTCaBBpIr5Y e.g. Hit the Deck (excellent trailer IMO)

Wampus

YouTube videos can be borrowed but better source material would be preferred? I imagine the quality could suffer a lot from re-encoding whereas better original source material to work with would produce a nicer vid.

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2012-Mar-27
MAybe browsing the AppStore thread reveals some candy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTCaBBpIr5Y e.g. Hit the Deck (excellent trailer IMO)

That is very good, yeh.  =D I wish I could do something like that.

[EDIT] Briefly looking at what's in the show room, what we've seen in the beta testing area and trailers out their on YouTube there is a wealth of awesome looking stuff to borrow from, if people consent to having their stuff featured. :)

bigsofty

On a slight side note, how about producing a demo, like from the demo scene. If each person involved were to supply a function that was a fully enclosed piece of code, render, logic, etc. with an exit timer or key. Then we could all contribute to a GLB Megademo? I think it would be kinda fun!  =D
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)