iOS 8.XX and beyond...

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzy70

iOS 8 is not far away either & depending on how far Apple push their new Swift language that might cause all kinds of problems for GLB (including another xcode).

I think the topic title is quite apt as he does mention Gernot's presence has been sparse of late.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

spacefractal

Im sure Apple will not force Swift. It's a causal language, not a pro language. otherwice many many apps would require recoding and then breaks compatible, so it's would been dump anyway by Apple.

But it's might require a little Xcode update again. Pretty sure I'm look on that soon it's official and test in that. Howover all arm6 code should been removed..... They have no use anymore.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

fuzzy70

Golden rule, never underestimate or predict what Apple will do. They have their own agenda that's different to everyone else's & have proved that year in year out.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

spacefractal

Swift is a very cool language, there is no doubt at about it. But Swift is not c++ or C#. Its a causel language, just like glbasic is.

If Apple choice to force Swift as only language to support, then they will breaks a lots of compatible. Also when reading the guidelines today, there is no info about a forced language today, which its was in iOS6 (or was it iOS5?). So im guess Apple attempt trying to prevent Flash based apps got backfired, so Apple axed later that rule.

So im cant see any issues with glbasic and iOS8, other than eventuely minor update to the xcode project, and of course requiring xcode updates. Im do still like to see arm6 warnings got removed a day. Arm6 support is no more at all anyway. Those issues that was with iOS7, is was just issues with the icons and few other things, which was all xcode thing. Not glbasic.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Hemlos

Although you cant expect what apple has in store for the world, it seems that most of what they do is still backwards compatible to a certain degree.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

fuzzy70

Quote from: spacefractal on 2014-Aug-14
Swift is a very cool language, there is no doubt at about it. But Swift is not c++ or C#. Its a causel language, just like glbasic is.
It is not a casual language at all, it has been in development at Apple for around 4 years & is geared for writing the next gen of OSx & iOS apps. While that may not seem like long, when you have a company as large as Apple they can achieve a lot in that time. Also they have a pool of information gathered from many years of other languages like C/C++/Obj-C/C#/Python/Java & so on which enables them to pick the strong features of each one & incorporate it into Swift, along with their own LLVM compiler making it a possible replacement in the near future. Some code actually runs faster thanks to new commands that had no real Obj-C equivilent.

Sure it's not going to replace Obj-C as the main dev language overnight but it is already binary compatible with the Obj-C libraries so they are paving the way to make it a replacement if they choose to. It's one of those tough dev's decisions in that you can learn it & they decide it's not going to be a replacement or don't learn it & they decide to totally drop Obj-C.

Apple have never been scared of trying new things & tend to embrace new technology, the switch to PowerPC architecture caused dev's a lot of work then the switch to Intel the same. Also the use of USB & Firewire (again causing problems for hardware manufacturers making ADB devices) are a couple of things Apple adopted long before it became widespread on the PC, because being a hardware manufacturer they have the inhouse staff & software support to make it happen. The iMac/iPhone/iPod/iPad really had a lack of competition when they came out & everyone was climbing over each other to play catch-up & make similar things themselves.

Also how many different iPod etc connectors have there been causing headaches for 3rd party's.

I could fill a whole topic of Apple pro's & cons over the years but i'll end here.  :rant: over lol

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

spacefractal

Edit: removed. This due the thread now splitted to avoid offtypic.

erico

Yep, apple pushes changes into GLB as much as Android does. We all know about it long time ago.
PC is the best gaming platform of all times and we also know that too.

I guess the point of the thread is a call to Gernot for resolutions and more presence.
While I really enjoy when he comes around to chip in, or to praise something he learned himself from posts,
I believe pressure is not really good.

Current version of GLB is really superb great as it is, even with the nitpicks we all personally have.
Gernot´s presence is really awesome and encouraging, but that, as the presence of all many other forum members, is also the same.

I don´t really see a reason for a stress call at all.

spacefractal

Yes google is absolute no better than Apple at all and also force a lots of things and they even got facing with eu now.

I'm do still pretty sure it's minor update required to the Xcode project it's self and do eventuelly a update for download.

For Android, there was many changes too to reflect the update up to kitkat. Recently fullscreen support.

So Android is not better than iOS at all. Personal I'm have newer have issues with Apple approvement and did have a great support. Sometimes they are even too fast and should have rejected few times really. But rather I'm did have issues with ouya last year which cause game to crash after a system update and took some weeks to fix the issue....

fuzzy70

Thanks for moving & splitting this off to a separate topic, I blame my medication for going way off the original topic  :D.

Yes Google are just as bad I agree, there was a system update to my phone to 4.4.2 a few months back which surprised me as my phone has been replaced by 2 other models (the Z1 & Z2) & Sony are pretty good at dropping support for non current items. When I got my phone last year it was on 4.0 or 4.1 & tbh other than the appearance of the notification area & the lock screen I can't say I have noticed any other changes so presume most of them are under the surface.

One thing about Apple's system is you know what's what, i.e iOS 7 is exactly that whereas Android has names with version numbers & API numbers all of which are different for example KitKat 4.4.2 API whatever  :S. On the other side of the coin with iOS you have to work out which devices work with the current version, however since Apple products are a known entity it's not as bad as the huge array of different Android devices.

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

spacefractal

but we must live with eventuelly changes and get them working again in glbaic for both systems. we should been nautral here and still supports both systems as good as possible. Yes its took long time with iOS7 and Gernot seen newer checked it and updated the xcode project.

But im did first noticed the issues my self about one year after release before im noticed (on my third game), why its was happens and eventuelly got fixed it in the ind. Im do wonder why no one tried to fix it really and release a fixed xcode project, rather than blame it. That annoying me really a bit.

Im dont thinks that big bells on iOS8 this time throught with glbasic support.

But funny in the end, its was extractly same issue with Android, which was icons which was not setup correctly in xcode and would not update to the ios7 icons at all..... two files was needed updating to fix it, and none was glbasic relevant.

fuzzy70

I don't have & can say that it's extremely unlikely I will ever have an iOS device, the look & the use of the UI etc is just a glossy pile of bloat the same as OSx to me, plus to a lesser extent the lack of customisability is just not me. That is just my personal preference & I'm in no way saying its rubbish or anything as that's just stupid, just each to their own. Everyone has their personal likes & dislikes, although there are people that have things just because it's the "IN" thing & there will always be a "Mines better than yours" group also.

Is my Android phone & tablet better than an iOS device?, in my case yes as they do everything I want & fit my needs perfectly whereas an iOS device suits others perfectly.

Funny thing is I have zero interest in any mobile development. The games & apps I like & use on mobile are not of interest to me as far as developing is concerned & the opposite is true to PC in that the apps & games I use on that I have no interest on mobile. Puzzle type games I think are the only genre that I have a shared interest in playing on either platform.

It will be interesting to see what further development will be done with regards to iOS & Android other than the obvious hardware improvements like cpu speed, battery life & so on but more in way of OS progress.

I read an article on Apples site about new iOS & OSx features & most of them are just yet more bloat & gimmicks. One in particular stood out & that was the ability to start writing an email on your iPhone & if you was in range of your Mac (assuming it had the right bluetooth adapter installed) you could continue writing that same email on your Mac & vice versa. Perhaps it's just me but that sounded so much like a gimmick rather than a useful addition to an OS & something that could be done at any time with an app. It might be useful for some but tbh if your at home/work & your Mac is there why would you want to use such a feature other than the very rare occasion where you get called away from your desk, even then chances are you have been called away to do something so wouldn't have time to finish it off on your phone anyway.

Android is no different with regards to bloat & features that majority of the users are totally unaware of so they are both as bad as each other  :D. Also Android has the advantage that you can develop for it on practically any PC & dev costs are lower, sadly because of that Android suffers from a greater amount of shovelware compared to iOS.

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

spacefractal

im have just tested iOS8 and how glbasic react on that.

There is a screensize bug (not a orientation), that needs to been fixed, when used with xCode 6 Beta 5 and iOS8 as target. But when im compile with xCode 5 and iOS7 as target, then there is no issues (so there is no changes required on the current glbasic apps which have iOS7 as target). This is just a api change to iOS8 with screen UIWindow component.

Howover that issue is no hurry, but Gernot should fix that, before that day Apple require us to uses xCode 6 and iOS8 as target (which im guess its few lines of code). This might property happens about half or one year after xCode 6 final release.

Kitty Hello

Any details about what I must change?

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk

erico