Leaving... almost

Previous topic - Next topic

ampos

I'm planning to finish with my app-maker adventure.

Some real-life issues have demoralized me, and the very low success on this app thing is just another thing to add to the basket.

I don't need this for a life, and I love to program, but I also love another hobbies I have and had not touched for almost 2 years.

I had great expectations in my latest app, DOTS-N-LINES, but it has not suceed.

I will continue updating DOTS-N-LINES and DIGITAL PHOTO FRAME, but nothing new will come.

In September my Apple suscription will end, and I am almost sure I will not renew. Next month will begins my "very-busy· months at work, and will have almost no time to be on this.

I have make 1000€ in 16 months, and WebOS market has been doing great for me (750€ in 8 months), but it is not worth the effort, as WebOS should be dying (real) soon. The TouchPad with Android 4 is great!.

I am planning to release source code of some of my firsts apps, but they are so bad coded that I doubt they will help anybody...

But don't worry, you will see me here still for a time...
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Ian Price

Seriously? That's such a shame. Dots n Lines has only been out a week or so hasn't it? It's a bit early to say that it was a failure. Have you done any PR work for any of your apps?

I do hope that you continue - even it it's for fun, rather than commercially. You will be sadly missed as you have been a real asset to the community.

Adiós para ahora. Esperanza de verle otra vez pronto (if this sounds crap blame Babelfish, if not, it's all from me ;))
I came. I saw. I played.

Marmor

:noggin:
read the  :rtfm: u cant go because  my Basic club rules !

matchy

Confucius would have said; A developer can always take a commercial break. A programmer must continue the fun hobby of programming.  :nw:

bigsofty

Well I hope you change your mind Ampos. Have a break if you need one but it would be a real pity to stop developing altogether IMHO. You've invested a lot of time in your code and the skills needed to create it. It would be a crying shame to throw it all away. Have patience, if you keep trying, eventually you will get where you want to go.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hark0

Quote from: ampos on 2012-Feb-23
I'm planning to finish with my app-maker adventure.

Some real-life issues have demoralized me, and the very low success on this app thing is just another thing to add to the basket.

I don't need this for a life, and I love to program, but I also love another hobbies I have and had not touched for almost 2 years.

I had great expectations in my latest app, DOTS-N-LINES, but it has not suceed.

I will continue updating DOTS-N-LINES and DIGITAL PHOTO FRAME, but nothing new will come.

In September my Apple suscription will end, and I am almost sure I will not renew. Next month will begins my "very-busy· months at work, and will have almost no time to be on this.

I have make 1000€ in 16 months, and WebOS market has been doing great for me (750€ in 8 months), but it is not worth the effort, as WebOS should be dying (real) soon. The TouchPad with Android 4 is great!.

I am planning to release source code of some of my firsts apps, but they are so bad coded that I doubt they will help anybody...

:O :O :O :O :O :O
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Kitty Hello

:'(
Sum up what you did with the iOS games. Does it not pay for the Developer-License?

ampos

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2012-Feb-24
:'(
Sum up what you did with the iOS games. Does it not pay for the Developer-License?

230€. Yes, it has paid 2 years, but not the little mac (hell, it was just 300€, but...)

check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

erico

Quote from: ampos on 2012-Feb-23

What? You think it is that easy to just walk away? The "Family" will hunt you through the 4 corners of earth! And when found, will get you back on coding! :rant:

Kidding, take a break if you must, but remember, once learn coding it is a never ending stuff :good:

edit: soo many app type stores coming around, target cheaper plats.

Wampus

Its grueling working alone while trying to build projects up from practically nothing, especially in this economy. Whatever happens please don't let yourself give up completely. Sometimes its time to persevere in a straight line and sometimes its time to pivot into a change of direction. Its never time to give up unless you have no choice.

If Dots-N-Lines didn't meet your expectations and real-life issues are undermining your self esteem then naturally your feelings will be bad - you're in a down phase. There are lots of ups and downs. Ignore them. Being up or down is a bad time to make decisions since its almost impossible to be realistic.

Let your wounds heal then analyze the situation honestly and rationally. There is always a way to find a new focus for your skills and shift to something more favorable. Look how far you've come already and look for new doors you can open from here. You don't know what opportunities might come up. At the least keep improving your coding skills. Not many can do what you can do.

fuzzy70

Quote from: Wampus on 2012-Feb-24
Its grueling working alone while trying to build projects up from practically nothing, especially in this economy. Whatever happens please don't let yourself give up completely. Sometimes its time to persevere in a straight line and sometimes its time to pivot into a change of direction. Its never time to give up unless you have no choice.

If Dots-N-Lines didn't meet your expectations and real-life issues are undermining your self esteem then naturally your feelings will be bad - you're in a down phase. There are lots of ups and downs. Ignore them. Being up or down is a bad time to make decisions since its almost impossible to be realistic.

Let your wounds heal then analyze the situation honestly and rationally. There is always a way to find a new focus for your skills and shift to something more favorable. Look how far you've come already and look for new doors you can open from here. You don't know what opportunities might come up. At the least keep improving your coding skills. Not many can do what you can do.

Never a truer word said  :booze:
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

erico

"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can´t take the coding from me!" :rtfm:

BdR

I can totally understand what you mean, the AppStore is very similar to the California Gold rush (incidently, Apple is also California based). I mean, it's mainly the people who create devtools, do the PR, create sales reports etc. who are making money off of it.

I've been at it 15 months, and for iOS I've only made 1/5th of what you made, so I can certainly understand your frustration. :( But I do want to create 2 more games (and maybe a novelty app when I'm really desparate) before I give up. Anyway if you do leave, good luck and see you around.

Omadan

Omg oh my god !!! Dios mio.
I've just seen this statement from our friend Ampos.
Mate it's been a real pleasure having you around and I will never forget that little avatar representing you. It's like I see that and see you :)

All I can say is that it would sadden me tremendously if infact you do leave. Like most have commented already take a break mate, dedicate more time to other stuff you mentioned and then come back with new refreshing ideas. Perhaps then you'll be ready for chapter 2.

Basically none of us want you leaving, friend.

Kind regards

Un abrazo - Joe

Top Arcade Apps - Best game for mobiles and computers

http://www.toparcadeapps.com

kaotiklabs

Ampos, he visto esto y he tenido que postear.
Hace bastante que estoy escondido en las sombras pero no creais que no os sigo.

Yo creo que tienes que partir de la base de que esto es un hobby, al menos es como me lo tomo yo.
Si puedes sacar algo de pasta, bien, pero si no, no importa, la recompensa siempre es pasarselo bien, aprender y mejorar.

Yo tambien me he llevado muchas decepciones en este mundillo pero tienes que aprovecharlo para hacerte más fuerte y aprender de cara a próximos retos. Si perseveras tu oportunidad llegará.

Espero seguir viendote por aquí!
Vote Cthulhu! Because the stars are right!!!!
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!