Raspberry Pi

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

:PThe Raspberry Pi computer is being released this month. For those who have not heard of this little computer, it's been created by a UK non-profit organisation to promote computer education and allow the hobbiest end of computing a cheap entry point to messing about with Linux. It harks back to the early days of 8 bit computers, bare bones and gettin down and dirty with the hardware. It has an embedded Linux ARM based architecture. It's all open source and as I have said, really cheap. $25 for the basic model and $34 for the network enabled version. Or buy the eBay charity beta board here for £2100, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Model-B-beta-board-10-of-a-limited-series-of-10/180786734741?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=008&category=162&cmd=ViewItem  :S

See here...
http://www.raspberrypi.org

BTW I would love glbasic support for this device, I know it supports GCC cross compilation but I am not sure if it's feasible?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Marmor

unfortunately the RPI  isnt available !  :'(
but i need one ! :D

Kitty Hello

it's an ARMv6. It shouldn't be too hard to port. It has a linux system, so CAANOO programs might already be working.

bigsofty

Cool, another reason to pick one up!  =D I saw a demo of it running Quake 3, it seemed quite fast, GLBasic+RPi=fun, I think.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

bigsofty

Well as I understand, they can easily be clustered, it could be used as a render farm for example, through the network ports. There is breakout connector on top of the board, which may lead to a more efficient method of getting multiple boards working in parallel too. Everything is open source, which is great, the only API which is not exposed is the DSP but this should be ready soon.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrTAToad

Apparently they are starting to be made now : http://www.raspberrypi.org/.

Their blog about it shows up a bit problem with our tax laws - read it and you'll see what I mean  :rant:

doimus

Wow, $35 for a 1080p capable linux computer. Amazing.  Smartphones really did bring the prices down.

I want this little gem in a cool case, with C64, (S)NES, Amiga emulators installed, two CompetitionPro Joysticks, all connected to some old crappy CRT TV. Yum!

Ian Price

The UK's tax lawas are a farce. How can Britain even hope to generate jobs in the tech market with tax laws like that? Stooooopid.

But the fact that it's starting to roll is great news :)
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

Hi there 20th February it´s the launch of the product...

I think it´s only for UK, and after for the rest of Europe... only 10.000 Units, in the page a readed the nottice coomets... they fly from his hands...

Another think... have support for Airplay, an Apple technology, seems don´t have to much repercusion and Apple give them open doors for developong things.... you can see a video in Youtube...

MrTAToad

Still not out yet :(

If people do want one, if you can PayPal me the required amount of money to cover the item and postage, I'll see if I get some relatives to "purchase" it and then forward to you.

erico

I´m really tempted by it and MrTatoad´s offer... sooooo tempted :|

matchy

Naturally, I would really like one.

As I think orders may be limited to one, so how will groups and server farmers fair. Isn't this project a spawn from the $100 laptop project; anybody to have access to own a PC rather than profit?

MrTAToad

Quote from: matchy on 2012-Feb-09
Naturally, I would really like one.

As I think orders may be limited to one, so how will groups and server farmers fair. Isn't this project a spawn from the $100 laptop project; anybody to have access to own a PC rather than profit?
Whilst a similiar idea to the $100 thing, it's by a completely separate entity (a charity), and is designed to promote programming rather than just getting people in front of a computer...

bigsofty

Yep, my intentions are to have a go at some fun-based ARM assembly programming, I have a few ARM devices already but nothing that has the detail of the Pies (Pies?) low-level firmware manuals/spec sheets. It really does remind me of spectrum or CPC programming in that respect. The amount of built in peripherals that are included in a SoC is more than a little scary to me at the moment though! :P
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

bigsofty

Wednesday 6:00AM GMT they go on sale!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)