GLBasic board game competition poll

Previous topic - Next topic

FutureCow

It occurred to me that no-one's sharing which game they're making for the competition, so I thought I'd post a poll to find out why.

I'll start off - I'm doing a "Guess Who?" version.

matchy

"Guess Who" sounds interesting. Not sure which I'll do yet as I'm still researching.
So far on my choice list I have Snakes & Ladders, Pictionary and Snap.

Leginus

Still trying to decide which one to do.....i am thinking that Guess who might be off of the agenda though :)

okee

was thinking of doing Mastermind
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

Leginus

Ok I have decided. I am going to do a version of operation with a couple of added challenges.  Should be fun to code :)

Ian Price

FutreCow - I'm doing Guess Who? too!

I've created a custom avatar creator, which should have billions of possible combinations so that you never see the exact same face twice. I've got a list for 400 names - 200 OF EACH GENDER.

I've just started adding game logic to it now that the avatar creation is nearly complete.
I came. I saw. I played.

FutureCow

Gaaaaaaaa! Has everyone had the same idea as me?  :rant: I've finished my face/character designer and am up to the game itself. The faces took me forever to draw which is extremely frustrating when other people have done the same thing.
:'(
Unfortunately my drawing skills won't allow billions of possible combinations (far from it!) I've generally got about 6 different possibilities for each of the facial features (6 mens hairstyles, 6 womens hairstyles, 6 beards etc) - enough for a fair bit of randomness, but certainly not billions. The names were the easy bit, I found an easy way to pull in thousands quickly but stopped at a few hundred as I figure people would generally put their own names on them anyway.

I have a few game modes planned to add some variety, plus a feature I was hoping would give my version the edge (assuming everone hadn't thought of it too...  :S)

So the question now is, to forge ahead when there's already been so much work put in, or to start something new as there's not much point having lots of copies of the same game? Hmmm... Decisions, decisions...

Ian Price

Multiple copies of the same game will inevitably vary - I say go for it. Your extra modes may make a big difference :)

As for billions of combinations, having six of each item will create hundreds of thousands of possibilities, so that's good too :)

Go on, you know you want to - it would be shame to throw away all that you have done so far.  Especially since it's a pretty good game.
I came. I saw. I played.

FutureCow

Alright, you've on! I challenge your billions of combinations against my handful of faces that look like a 6 year old drew them with their hands tied behind their back and their eyes shut!  =D

I just hope there's enough variety of games in the competition, it would be a shame to only have a couple of different ones (in various versions) entered.

I am looking forward to seeing your "Guess Who" to see how it differs to mine.

Kitty Hello

Very nice. I one did a "guess who" game for the gp2x, where you need 2 devices. I just copied the original images, that's why I didn't post it anywhere. But it's a lot of fun to play on long journeys. Especially when you can't loose the cards and the "rebuild new game" is just a click.

MrTAToad

Could my included program be regarded as a valid board game ?

The idea is you click on an empty space on the board (or click on one of your own shapes to eventually expand it and affect the surrounding area)

Its losely based on an Amiga game called Atoms

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kitty Hello

The game is rather nice. Very nice idea. Though, it's not really a boardgame, is it? I mean... can you find a board game version of it?

What do others think? The gameplay is: you set a stone, add one, add two but if you ad a 4th stone to a set of 3 on a tile, the sourounding 4 neighbours get one added, and the center tile is empty, right?

MrTAToad

Dont think there is a board game of it :)

FutureCow

MrTaToad - You've got about 6 weeks to get the board game version into mass production so you qualify for the competition, you might be cutting it a bit fine... =D

MrTAToad

That'll be no problem - Parker Brothers are already on it :)