Windows 7 beta information

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlos

Hello, i found Windows 7 beta final pre-release ISO today, and its free till mid-2010.
I saw some screenshots....looks pretty cool imo, with some new windows browsing features.
The reviews i read were very interesting.
Personally im not putting it on my PC, I get an error when trying to download it from MSN.

Before anyone goes installing it, make sure you read about it, thoroughly...it is beta.
I dont recommend this beta OS to anyone, this review is neither a rant, nor is it a promotion.
Just a thread for this OS, as a source of information.

Here are 2 links to reviews and more information:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-19518_3-10233855-238.html
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=958

WARNING: FOR HIGHLY EXPERIENCED COMPUTER USERS ONLY
If you arent a computer technician, i strongly recommend against using this beta software.
Note: Windows 7 anonymously sends update information to microsoft software engineers, for thier update fix requirements.
Here is the Windows 7 download page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

WPShadow

If you have the Image, you can install it on a Virtual Machine?!?
AMD X2 4600, 2 GB Ram, ATI X1950 XTX, XP PRO SP2: GLB Premium 10.beta_dingsi, <(´.´<) Kirby Dance (>`.`)>
http://lostrevenant.blogspot.com
alea iacta est

Schranz0r

Not realy new news...
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Hemlos

Quote from: WPShadow on 2009-May-06
If you have the Image, you can install it on a Virtual Machine?!?

Sounds...interesting, a virtual machine, but i dont know the answer for you.
Theres some tech notes concerning overlapping it onto vista and xp on MSN download link; top of this thread.

Finally, I managed to download and burn the ISO to a DVD, i had to update IExplorer 8  :good:

There is alot of new information coming out, in the form of reviews, google searched "Windows 7"

S.O.P.M.

I was thinking about getting the Windows 7 RC but while trying to download it I noticed that I have to have a Live ID? What's that and is it really necessary to register at Microsoft? Can anyone tell me how I can get the Win 7 ISO file without registering? I really can't believe that anyone who want to test it has to have such an extraordinary account!?
Notebook PC Samsung E372 Core i5 @ 2,6 GHz; 4 GB RAM; Win 7 Home Premium

Kitty Hello

Well, if you want to test a beta microsoft product, they have the ability to force you into having a live account. They don't force you to have the beta in the first place.
BTW: That's the reason I, not getting the beta, too.

Hemlos

Quote from: S.O.P.M. on 2009-May-07
I was thinking about getting the Windows 7 RC but while trying to download it I noticed that I have to have a Live ID? What's that and is it really necessary to register at Microsoft? Can anyone tell me how I can get the Win 7 ISO file without registering? I really can't believe that anyone who want to test it has to have such an extraordinary account!?
I went ahead and got a hotmail.com account, it was free.
This is considered a live account i suppose...
The webmail account is needed to get the reg code, and download, was very easy to do.
Is something wrong with live HK?

S.O.P.M.

I simply don't trust Microsoft. I cannot know what consequences it has to register there. But anyways, I'll get Windows 7 once it is out, other than Vista. They say it will be the best Windows ever made. Hopefully the price of $199 for the Starter will shrink a bit - this would be my pain threshold.
Notebook PC Samsung E372 Core i5 @ 2,6 GHz; 4 GB RAM; Win 7 Home Premium

Moru

I'm perfectly happy with XP, it does what I want and I can easily turn off all the bling. If I wanted eyecandy I certainly wouldn't be using a computer...

As for the security options all it does is break all known programs wich then will need updating and reinstalling or fidling with settings. Why bother when I already have it all working perfectly on my current computer?

Kitty Hello

The same reason people switched from 2k or NT 4. MS will bring new features that only run on 7. Then they bait programmers to use these, and voila you have programs that do not run on XP.
XP is a quite hard limit though, since it is a very good OS.

Hemlos

I shop around in the main-stream local markets and office supply stores.
One major observation i made was that windows xp isnt even sold on the racks anymore;
The super office supply store named: "Staples", and most smaller computer stores as well, Windows Vista is the only OS they keep  keep in the shelves, stocked.

Its seems to me XP is being phased out.
From what i understand windows 7 is just like XP, and the benefit is, the way windows organizaes folders and files.

Moru

Since vista is announced as the greater thing most people don't want XP. that's why it's not on the shelves. However, if you build your own computer you don't have any problems getting XP, it's just a lot more expensive than it was a couple of years ago.

Hemlos

I recieved this in an email couple weeks ago.

Quote from: [email]Microsoft@newsletters.microsoft.com[/email]
Windows 7 RTM Announcement‏
Sent: Tue 7/28/09 7:09 PM

Announcing: Release to Manufacturing

It's almost here! We're very happy to tell you that we've hit the last big milestone on the way to Windows 7: Release to Manufacturing. We're packaging copies and manufacturers are putting it on new PCs. On October 22, you'll be able to get the final shipping product. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done; you helped make this an operating system we're all going to enjoy. .

MrTAToad

Windows 7 is very nice.  GLBasic seems to work completely with it as well.