GLBasic has encountered a problem and needs to close...

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Total return to desktop, its happening quite a lot with me lately.

Specifically, when I use single step debugging after entrance with a break point, the editor. I can then do a couple of recompiles and debug but after that, even if the editor is left alone, it eventually crashes. A program must be running but halted in debug mode, with the breakpoint for this to occur.

Code (glbasic) Select
AppName: editore.exe AppVer: 2010.302.0.0 ModName: msvcr80.dll
ModVer: 8.0.50727.4053 Offset: 00008aa0

NOTE: It may have something to do with running another instance of the GLBasic editor at the same time, while the other is in the middle of a debugging session. Both with debug mode on. Two debuggers running seems to drive GLB nuts. Running two editors is something I do all the time, while debugging, as when I spot a piece of dodgy code in one, I isolate it in the other and run it as a tiny program to see if I can spot the error.

On Windows XP, SP3, 2g Mem, Intel Core Duo.

Cheers,

Ian

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

If you can make it really reproduceable, that would be nice.

bigsofty

Its difficult as its not always immediate.

But to show that one debugger is interfering with the other try this.

Open a GLB editor in debug mode.
Load a project
Add a break point.
Run
Single step (I use CTRL+F10) a break point a couple of times.
Leave the program open.

Open another GLB editor in debug mode.
Load another project.
Run

...and the program won't run, its frozen, even though its not being single stepped or broken into.

Quitting the first program, makes the second exit.

I don't know if this is directly related to me crash out problem but its a very similar set of events and shows one editors debug session has some sort of influence on the other.

I'll keep experimenting to specifically locate the crash though.

Cheers,

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

bigsofty

OK, about 2 minutes, after quitting the second instance and stopping all debugging, the editor crashed again. So it looks like doing the above seems to initiate the start of crash. I managed to edit 2 lines.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)