Test project

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

Been working on the basis for a pseudo 3D game - this is what I've currently got so far :

This is just the basis for things, as there are many (obviously) things missing at the moment.

erico

It is moving about pretty good!
What is with the vertical lines at the bottom of the screen?

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Quote from: erico on 2015-Oct-30
It is moving about pretty good!
What is with the vertical lines at the bottom of the screen?
I suspect its the Youtube conversion process or Fraps doing something...

MrTAToad

erico

Ok, would it be too hard to actually blend 3d objects into this system?

MrTAToad

Display-wise there would be no problems - it is just a matter of trying to position and scale correctly.

Ian Price

It's a bit pointless making a 2d racing track system and then adding 3D objects on top - you might as well just make it all in 3D in the first place.
I came. I saw. I played.

matchy

Looks awesome.  :good:  :coke:

The engine is looking good, nice dips and hills and I like that style. Now go rip the Outrun, Chase HQ and Lotus II graphics for a game demo already!  ;) ;/  :D

erico

Quote from: Ian Price on 2015-Oct-31
It's a bit pointless making a 2d racing track system and then adding 3D objects on top - you might as well just make it all in 3D in the first place.

I disagree, the 3d objects can be 2d based and it can move constrained to what a 2d sprite would.
The bonus would be that for art, that is a heck of a lot less work then doing it by hand, and you could pretty much export and pixel should you really want to.

Jaguar on the amiga kind of has a bit of 3d looks on its sprites.

But what I mean for 3d on mr.T´s game is more akin to Seiseki and Fejer´s low poly pixel vehicle, as appended here. No actual lights into that 3d for that oldschool look.

edit: by 3d, you could also easily have full spins and spectacular flipping crashes... ;)

Ian Price

Yeah, the 3D objects as sprites is a good idea, but really what would is the point? All the hassle of creating/faking the road in 2D might as well have been used to create a proper 3D road to stick the 3D objects on. If you can do 3D objects you might as well make it all 3D.

BTW I really like those low poly cars :)
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

I wouldn´t be so traditional to require 2d on a 2d road and I´d take 3d to be more of a tool then aesthetics.
One of the points could be reduced workload and a very cute looks.
Like I said, you could move the object similar to a sprite, check how many rotations Lotus has and only display those fixed angles for ex.

I took seiseki´s example and did a quick block, indeed they are extremely charming.

edit: added ddd object and the texture too.

Ian Price

The trouble is, 3D on 2D stands out a mile.

I do understand the reduction in workload, but you have to be very careful when mixing 2D and 3D. If the lighting differs or the pixels aren't as chunky or have a wider palette etc. these things scream loudly at the end-user. You've got to be consistant in all areas too.

While incredibly charming, even those 3D images show inconsistancies with regard to angles and pixels - look at the rear window compared to the side windows (or number plate and side wings etc.) These stand out and will do so even more on a 2D background. A drawn 2D image of the car would be more consistant.
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

I agree with the consistency, most of latest retro racers don´t quite follow.

As highres as the road lines are on the video, I would not see much trouble using this car. No lights, the map is 100% bright, no shading. While pixel texure would appear at diagonals, which I dislike, in the specific case of these cars, I would not bother.

There is always the render to 2d, thought that would require lots of clean up.

edit: oh, if you mean the inconsistency of my model don´t worry, I knocked it out in a minute, I did not even bother aligning the pixels. :P

Ian Price

While it is now consistant (probably), you've also lost most of the charm that made the original 3D models so nice. :(
I came. I saw. I played.