The Outhouse

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

limits to a contain resolution was something im also did for CatchOut as well. He might also have limit of colors uses of course.

This can been fun to design with limits in mind.

Looks nice.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

The vandals that steal paper and the squatters that actually have to go (and use some) are working fine now.
Vandals can´t steal paper if a squatter is in the outhouse and if one is pulling paper and a squatter gets in, the paper is shredded by the slamming door.

You can hit a vandal only and the paper will retract back to the outhouse but if you shoot the paper or the outhouse, you will burn it.
Here is the stuff on going, the paper shred should be behind everyone though, will fix it later.

erico

Apart from the squatters and vandals, there is now a bomber vandal, here are them in action.

There are military guys, which should be part of a boss system on level 10.

...and I just added bats.

Now to work on the drones and meteor showers (skylab debries :) )

MrPlow

i know you're working to a spec limitation - but I think a GameBoy styled version of this would also do well on mobile :)

V good!
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

it could!
Here are all elements stuck together just for testing. There won´t be such a situation in game but it is fun to look at.
I just need to finish the final boss now.

erico

A silent 2 player game run.

Got to the militaries, the second boss. ;)

SnooPI

:good: ... I have a question : is it a real emulator with which you can run another TRS-80 program or just a game that mimics style?

erico

Just a glbasic game that mimics the semigraphics mode on the color computer.
I dumped the font and recreated it glbasic wise and the game runs on a 64x32 virtual screen, square pixels, then it gets scaled to 640x480 with the tall semigraphic pixels and I add the fonts, then upscale the result to whatever user´s resolution. I hope it ends up very close to a coco game.
I´m working with the sound and music now and hope that will also be genuinely similar. :booze:

erico

Here a study compiling a series of coco game´s sounds. Hopefully I can come up with "proper" sounds for the game, sounds that mimic the real machine or are , at least, possible to do.
I´m still debating about the pause/play sound deed, some I can keep.

erico

Some bat orbit.

And some sound work in progress:

Kitty Hello

I'm amazed by what you do with a few pixels. Everything you touch starts to bloom.
Great work.
For the controls - that's always very tricks - move and shoot in another direction. Too much for me.
I'd prefer mouse movment, and when you hold the button, you can aim in a fire direction with the mouse - but hey, I'm not a good gamer ;)

Widget101

I think this looks really good. I love the style.

erico

Thanks for the kind words chaps! I´m still stuck on sound, had to skip a few days to cool down a bit.
But yeah, the controls are going to be hard to set.

The current way I did is an old school way and I´m noticing people have difficulties playing it. :(
I could use both analogs on a joypad but I wanted to keep it pad+single button for the sake of the oldschool.

It could be that fine tuning current controls could fix it but I´m unsure.
I will see to finish everything and then to get to it at the end, some more ideas might pop up.

spacefractal

you could add dual stick and a old school control options.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

Dual stick seems like the best option.
I will make a beta soon and share here.
I was also thinking about using analog like half way does not move the ufo but it aims towards that direction. Push analog full way for movement. I hope one can aim without moving by adding these? I think the original on the coco has a bit of this.