iOS media

Previous topic - Next topic

Crivens

Ok so I have update one of my png files for my iOS project in XCode (3 not 4 yet). But the graphics aren't being updated on the device (two different devices so far). In XCode it is showing the new graphic for the png file, but a quick check in iPhone explorer and it's using the old graphics. I remove the graphic using iPhone explorer and rebuild and now it just shows without the graphic. Hmm. Manually replace the file using iPhone explorer and all is well it uses the new graphics. I've tried removing the apps from the devices, restarting XCode fully, all to no avail. It still uses the old graphics. Bit weird. At times like these does the Mac need a reboot or something? Or is there an option to refresh the graphics or something? Can't believe I released a few games on iOS already and never changed an existing graphic... Am sure I did... Maybe Lion being crap? (like you can't put anything in trash now without it asking for a password...)

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

spacefractal

this property because the Media folder s is copied to the iphone xcode project folder, but GlBasic's IDE does not update them if its exists...... So when you update them in Windows build, they got not automatic update for other systems.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Crivens

Yes it is. After I compile it I run a scp macro to copy libs to the mac. Another macro copies libs and media. Within the Xcode project on the mac you can then see it is the new graphic. Build it though and it is not compiled into the iOS device. Even removing the graphic from the device will not get s build to transfer the graphic to the device. Weird as obviously the original graphic was transferred to the device in the first place.

I've definitely updated graphics in the past and it updates on the idevice. So I reckon it's just the mac requiring a reboot. I've seen it before with other things using Xcode in the past. Even a full termination of Xcode isn't as good as a reboot sometimes. Perhaps I should use Xcode4 but I wanted to get this game out the way first.

Cheers

ampos

Crivens, if your mac is on a network with your pc, there is an easy solution:

On mac, "connect to folder" (sorry, mine is in spanish) -> "smb:\\your.pc.ip.here"

The Mac will show all the directories shared in the PC (just remember to share on the PC your proyects folder).

The you can navigate to your proyect/app/distribute/iphone/xcode folder, click on iphone-info.plist and voila! XCode launchs and compiles directly.

Also, you dont need to close xcode. Just make changes on your GLB source on windows, compile to iphone, back to Mac and press "build&run"; so easy.

GLB will not change anyfile in your xcode folder but the source and the /media dir, so you can make any modifications to your xcode proyect on the mac and it will be untouched.

Notice that this will not work if you want to compile the final product (compile&archive) to Apple, but this is done just once per app! Just copy the xcode folder to your mac desktop, load project, change to ->distribute, compile&archive and sent to Apple!

(about your problem, use "clean cache" and something similar, there is 2 options that clears xcode cache on the xcode menus.
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Crivens

As I said it always used to work and Xcode even shows the updated graphics it just doesn't put it on the device anymore. I'll look into the clear cache though.

I already use a similar compilation. Normally I just hit a macro to scp the libs hit build on Xcode and the newest version runs on the idevice. I very rarely need restart Xcode. I did in the beginning because an older Xcode was sometimes buggy and required it.

Cheers

Crivens

There is 2 things it might of been. A reboot didn't work. But I used the "Clean" option from the build menu. I also had the changed graphic selected in the media group showing the graphic in the bottom section. I noticed in the file menu it said to close that file (thought it was just a preview not actually open). So I chose another file that hadn't changed. Worked fine then after those 2 things (not sure which worked).

After I get this game on the store I will probably move to XCode4. Hopefully is a bit better put together.

Cheers

BdR

I've usually have the same problem when replacing or adding resource files (.png or .wav etc), the old levels or graphics are still there when running on the devcice.

In XCode menu, select Build -> Clean All Targets and then select Build and Run, that seems to help when this happens.