GLBasic, 2008/2009 plans

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

Hello,

Now that GLBasic with a version number 5.3xx is approaching the annual cycle of a new version, I would like to point out in advance that GLBasic is going to be slowly restructured, so that a specialization towards games and entertainment will be dropped in favour of a general purpose programming language, which would be usable even for professionals.

GLBasic will continue to be a very easy to learn, quick language and as such keep the major focus on its fast graphics and a great platform diversity. Nevertheless, a wider clientele is gatting aimed at, particularly in the field of professional application which, due to the strong relation to games, left GLBasic untouched so far.
First changes, that are already in the next updates, offer an exchange of GLBasic libraries without disclosoure of the source code, extension of GLBasic by a GUI component, database integration, scripting language support and a wider range of applications in the manual and website. There will also be a real-time mode implemented, which allows displaying 3D graphics without having to use X_OBJ ... and a stronger network support.
The planned changes will occour within the next year.

I don't want to deter anyone with this, because GLBasic will certainly not lose simplicity and scope, but will only be extended in other directions.
The exotic platforms "GP2X" and "X-box Linux" will continue to be supported, even as it is now apparent that no new devices for these platforms more can be purchased. The devices had already been sold in a significant number, so that this market should not be underestimated.

Moru

Sounds great, keep up the good work!

AndyH

All sounds good to me Gernot.  I don't know what dent GLBasic would make in the application market, but having those tools will be a very good thing.  You've got a lot of solid competition out there, Jamagic (now RIP) excelled in its support for application development as well as games but it was unfortunately not enough to save it in its case.

I'd still like to see music in the PocketPC runtime and support for tracker music built in for multiple platforms but those are my priorities.  I'd also love to see the language get more support for some OOP principles which I personally think would attract more programming types to GLBasic, but I know that is a sensitive subject.  If this new direction will energise you to take GLB on then go for it :)

matty47

Your move to allow better application development is exciting news, especially if you keep cross platform compatability in the process - looking forward to the first changes.
Matthew

Ian Price

I think the more you can offer, the better the chances are of attracting new users. Including GUI etc. etc. within the actual main core of the program is the way to go and is a better approach than buying a plugin.

To paraphrase Baldrick from Blackadder it "Sounds like you have a cunning plan" :)
I came. I saw. I played.

PeeJay

One area that always seems to have overlooked in all the modern BASICs I have tried (with the exception of VB) is the ability to make use of the printer, which is obviously something that would need incorporating into a more general language. That alone could be all you need to set you apart from the competition!
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Kitty Hello

Great Idea. I think the easiest solution would be to create a temporary html file and have that printed somehow. Better ideas?

Sebastian

Ummhh, will we also be able to change the application icon in the editor then? Because Ressource Hacker often screws up my applications  :doubt:

Ian Price

Further to the above post -
We need an automatic icon included for both the .EXE file and the window icon (if visible) - this should not require any INLINE commands etc, it should be an option from the menu. PlayBASIC did that nicely. Resorting to ResourceHacker is never nice.
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

Yes, you're right. I think I'll put some tool for that in, too.

bigsofty

Ooops! missed this thread...

Yes I agree it all sounds great, some sort of cross platform GUI would be nice for me.

One addition I would like to see is full in-built OpenGL command support. That is, OpenGL part of the command set, not just a library, with proper compile time syntax checking. This would allow GLBasic users to extend the 3D and move 3D engine development into the community.

Apart from that small suggestion I'm a happy man. With GLBasic in general, I find the GLBasic support reassuring Gernot, so many come and go in the game developer world, its good that GLBasic has such a constant presence.  :grin:

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kuron

QuoteFirst changes, that are already in the next updates, offer an exchange of GLBasic libraries without disclosoure of the source code
I really appreciate this.  It is nice to be able to share your work without having to share the code  =D

I hope OSX compiling will continue to be supported as new versions of OSX are released.

QuoteJamagic (now RIP)
I was so sad to see the plug pulled on Jamagic.

Hemlos

Great ideas, and fantastic development i might add!

Gernot, you have taken DiNgS where no man has gone before.....networked, 3d style, BASIC, into the professional world?! Who wouldof guessed? Seems like only yesterday when i suggested you added 3d, networking, etc etc :)

SINCE you are going pro with it...
1. how about increasing the data putfile files from 256 lines, to infinite lines?
2. Allowing for programmers to toggle the "{pause}" feature in the compiler options?
3. Add a new feature "On top" in the compiler options? (for making 3rd party game tools etc)

I could come up with more suggestions and ideas, but i think this is already alot for you now.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Kitty Hello

1. OPENFILE
2. AUTOPAUSE
3. *gulp* :D

Hemlos

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2008-Aug-07
1. OPENFILE
2. AUTOPAUSE
3. *gulp* :D

Haha sweet, you program faster than i can think ;)
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O