We want a Spanish forum :)

Previous topic - Next topic

ampos

What about a general spanish forum?

It seems we are legion here  :enc:

A ver si nos ponen un foro en español, que estamos aquí como tontos hablándonos entre nosotros en inglés!
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

mahan

Let me go ahead and disagree with you there :-)

I think that all programming related material has more to gain from being written in English.

Look, how many times have you googled for some info about some computer related stuff and as a result got to a site with with text in a language foreign to you? You might swear inside because you look at the source and it seems to be very interesting to you, but to bad even the comments and variable names are foreign, so you can't easily make out how it works.

The scenario above might have happened to you on Russian, French, Dutch and German sites just to name a few popular languages. Now notice that the same happens to me when I go to a Spanish site, because I don't understand Spanish, right?

As you probably notice, English is not my first language, but I still prefer it to any other language, even my own first language, because we (all the internet users) collectively get more out of English info that any other.

Besides by not using English frequently (preferring just to talk to kinsmen etc.) you deprive yourself of good English training that could benefit yourself personally on an internationalized market world of today, which might very well be a loss of a nice career possibility.

Sorry for long rant, but that's my thoughts on the subject :-)

monono

There is also a french forum. Wouldn´t it just be unfair for the spanish not get an own part in this community. Sometimes you have problems you can´t describe in a foreign language. Good to have a forum  in the native language then, and not to start with "sry, the next part is spanish..." in the english forums. Doesn´t mean they exclude themselves from the community.
I am quite sure it´s up in no time.
yo quiero una serveza,
monono

XanthorXIII

I'm divided on this. One part of me says Yes you need one the other part of me says No because that can take valuable information away from the other part of the community that speaks in a different language. If the forum would have an option for translate a post that might help more than anything.
Owlcat has wise

Ian Price

QuoteDoesn´t mean they exclude themselves from the community.
Actually it does (or could do).

There is an awful lot of valuable information in the German forums that is missed by the majority of non-German speakers. I often use GoogleTranslate to read some of it. Even if the translation isn't perfect, it's usually good enough to work out the basics of what is being said (and TBH the translation is often very good - I use it all the time for reading the GP32Spain forums).

Fracturing the forums into multiple languages further would be detrimental (IMHO), as those versed in only one tongue will tend to stay in their dedicated forum and ignore the others. We do tend to share a lot of info, but still some gets missed.  As for the French forum - is it actually used at all? I don't remember reading a recent posting there.

I'm not against multi-nationals all joining together, but I wish there was only one master language so that we could all speak and hear the same thing :( GLBasic is a good choice for a master language! :P
I came. I saw. I played.

matchy

For each language, the help file and editor would need to be translated also.  :zzz:

monono

In my opinion having a general spanish forum doesn´t fracture the forum. Look at the french. You said it yourself, Ian. So the spanish forum could be the place for people like you, using google translate and getting lost in translation somehow. Just for the case somebody doesn´t understands something right or for planning a spanish GLB meeting for example. The problem with the english and german forum is different. They are both fully fledged forums with all subcategories and ment to be used like that.
The worst thing could happen is that the community splits into national communities with different domains and all. As it is very common with more huge but similar programming language related portals. And for that I think it´s a good idea to handle it somehow multilingual "indoor".
QuoteFor each language, the help file and editor would need to be translated also.
... and let´s translate the commands as well. I´ll have a try: PANTALLACONJUNTO  1024, 768 ,1

MrTAToad

Oh no - the actual syntax cant change, otherwise code from one country wouldn't be compatible with code written in another.

The manual, menus and information text can be though - good luck getting it all converted  :P

mentalthink

HI, about the Spanish Forum, well I´m spaninsh, but I think is better speak in English, what more information we can apport to the forum, I think is better, more help for us from us. Yes, can be well have a Spanish forum, but for any questions in spanish, we can use the PM. I don´t know... I like more write in english, in fact, learn more English, and practice and learn Glbasic. I don´t know how much spaninsh people have the forum, but a legion?¿, I only know because I speak whit them, about 5 or 6 persons.

Best Regards,
Iván J.

ampos

check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

mentalthink

kaotiklabs

I´ve asked this several times before.
I´m sure there are more spanish people than frenchs in the forum, so why not? Would not be unfair?
And documentation translation is just an excuse, I´m not aware of any documentation translated to french.

If you are worried about fragmentation, why dont you start closing the german forum? I know this is imposible because some german guys have difficulties with english, but..., why we have to be different?

Everybody agrees that a common language will be the best, but once you take the decision to allow several languages, you cannot force the rest to speak a common language. I believe it must be equal for all.
As we say in Spain "o follamos todos, o la puta al río" that it literally means "either we all *love*, or we throw the whore to the river". (Yes, we are a bit rude)

And dont be scared, in the end, I believe the spanish forum will have the same traffic as the french one.

Vote Cthulhu! Because the stars are right!!!!
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

Schranz0r

so we need a spanish moderator!
Anybody want to do that?!
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

mahan

Quote from: kaotiklabs on 2010-Sep-11
I know this is imposible because some german guys have difficulties with english, but..., why we have to be different?

This is a strange argument because:

Are you also arguing that if your 3 year old nephew has training wheels on his bike (i.e. he has "difficulties" with cycling), you should have training wheels on your bike too? I know that German people often prefer their own language over English, but the question is: What is more beneficial in the long term? Even for themselves? And if it's not beneficial to them, why should we follow?

Quote from: kaotiklabs on 2010-Sep-11
I´m sure there are more spanish people than frenchs in the forum, so why not? Would not be unfair?
[...]
Everybody agrees that a common language will be the best, but once you take the decision to allow several languages, you cannot force the rest to speak a common language. I believe it must be equal for all.

Fair and equal?

1.) This is a private forum, not "EUs democratic free speech center" or anything. The owner might very well decide that only Swahili and Afrikaans are the only languages to use, and he is in his full right to do so. I.e. it's a private decision to add or reject specific languages forums, not a question of "fair" or "equal".

2.) Nobody is "forced" to anything tbh. because it's a free choice to be on the forums in the first place.

2. ) I'm a Swedish citizen: Should I also ask for a forum?

Own language forums are a bit similar to training wheels for a bike, because they certainly make it easier from the start to get going, but part of the training is that you must at some point remove them. :)

Your own English is much more than adequate for communicating in English, if I may say so :)

just my 50 Swedish Öre :-)

BlueSteel

1. nothing is stopping you from starting up your own spanish forums to support glbasic.
2. most programmers speak english as thats the most common language programming languages are written in.. Why?? because its basicly international. not being racest. and its not us who decided that but scientests/programmers many years ago..
3. Who would run the forums and give the tuff answers if those that know don't speak in these other languages. Generally they are supported in 2 languages .. one is english for the reason stated above, the other is the native language of the language writer .. eg: if they are french , then french,, if german then alike..
4. to get the guist of whats being said you can always use transtalers to translate into other languages