Art and code competition - The Liberated Pixel Cup

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

So there seems to be a compo about to happen here:

http://lpc.opengameart.org/content/lpc-about

I thought this would be nice for the many great coders and artists we have here!
What do you guys think?

Wampus

This is a fantastic idea!

I especially like the fact it will create a library of art and code that is freely available to amateurs for their own games.

erico

Agree Wampus, it will probably be similar to the TIGSource.com's Assemblee Competition that spawned so many great games on the same art set.

But I think this one will probably be more higher res art, if you consider their preview sample on their page.

I took a quick read on the rules and am quite unsure about what they mean by ´open´ when it comes to the code part.
But I see we can also use all sorts of engines and languages and multi-platform is recommended.

So I guess GLBasic can strive on that front!

I will read it all again a little more careful when time allows, see if everything is ok for us to enter.

Ian Price

QuoteI took a quick read on the rules and am quite unsure about what they mean by ´open´ when it comes to the code part.
When they say Open they really mean that - everything is completely open. You'll have to supply your sourcecode as well as an .EXE so that people can view and use it for whatever purposes within the confines of the GPLv3 license.

Looking at the coding only part of it, one month isn't a great deal of time to create a game - especially an RPG as that's the style of art they are looking for (although it doesn't have to be by the sound of it). But it is possible.

Doesn't mention how they are going to split the prize money - I presume 50/50 between art and code? What about sound and music? That looks like it comes under the Coding/game part, and to me this is probably harder to create than the graphics part of the competition. As a team this wouldn't be too big a deal. As lone coders it's probably impossible.
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Yep I guess sound and music is a little off there.

There is a good thing about the 1 month time though is that the compo is suppose to start around july I guess, so we have some time ahead to put up an idea at least. But not much, since we have to use the art and it may be easier to put up an idea after the art arrives.

But sure your game must be a little simple to be accommodated on that time schedule considering a lone wolf doing it all.