GLBasic Competition: Board games

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?site=boardgames-compo Write a computer version of a board game and win a shiny new GP2X Wiz.

Extended by one week

Hemlos

Who are the judges?
Who is permitted to compete?
Moderators?

I dont have any tshirts or handheld devices, can i participate, or would this be unethical?

Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Kitty Hello

I have to fill that stuff, still. You can surely participate.

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

Neurox

Paolo Borzini | paolo@borzini.it
The WhiteFly Software | www.thewhitefly.it
Service on line for screen printers | www.4pellicole.it

FutureCow

Quote from: Hemlos on 2009-Oct-01
can i participate, or would this be unethical?

I think anyone other than me that enters is being unethical. How am I supposed to win if there's more than one entry? I might actually have to put some effort in!!!!  :noggin:

On the serious side though, can you enter more than one game? (Assuming I even finish the first that is!  :S )

Kitty Hello

I don't see any reason why you should not be able to submit 2 games. However, I, personally, would focus on one.

Ian Price

Are there any restrictions? Licensed media? Does the game need to fit on a GP2X Wiz? Stylus controlled? Max file size? etc. etc.
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

It must run on Win32. No pirated media. Copyright stays with the author.

Ian Price

Cheers gernot, that was quick. Knocked one of my ideas on the head, but hey ho. Better to do it sooner rather than later.

People might be interested in this place - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame as it gives a little breakdown of hundreds of board games. If your game isn't listed on there, then it's probably not safe to do :)
I came. I saw. I played.

FutureCow

Is anyone else struggling to come up with a "fun" idea?
Every game I have played that I can think of has either
* Been done lots already (eg monopoly/trial pursuit)
* Would make a pretty boring game (mastermind)
* Is too difficult to computerise (pictionary)
or would end up too different to the original boardgame that it would be that game in name only.

Anyone got a "fun" idea?

Quentin

I think it doesn't matter, that a game was made many times before. You can put some new ideas to it.
My plan is to take a simple game, we often played as children, but with "living" gaming pieces :)

Ian Price

Here's a list of board games as seen on Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_board_games

There should be something there to inspire.
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

Quote from: FutureCow on 2009-Oct-03
* Been done lots already (eg monopoly/trial pursuit)
Don't do that unless you think yours is much better. You would not be satisfied with your work otherwise.

* Would make a pretty boring game (mastermind)
Don't do that. It will choke your motivation as well.

* Is too difficult to computerise (pictionary)
Now, that's the right place to start looking for. Something that's challenging for you and somehting where you can show off you're not just a code monkey.

Personally, I'd go for a game I like to play myself.

FutureCow

I've got one, and what I hope is a feature that will make it a lot more interesting as a computer version for people.

I'm even going to try to make it look spiffy in 3D. *GASP* My first proper 3D project!  :noggin: :help:

It will work in 2D as well so I've got a backout plan! Not that I'm going to need it... :whistle: