HP TouchPad - screen is not centered and not full screen

Previous topic - Next topic

Millerszone

I still have to do more testing with HTD Baseball on the Touchpad, but grabsprite doesn't work correctly. Game is in portrait mode and like Ian said, it's upside down from the home button, no big deal.

Also having lag, FPS seems to be only 30 fps. With this game anything less than 60fps the ball won't be smooth. Game runs at 60 fps on an old pre with 1.4.5.

I noticed flash video is really sluggish on the Touchpad.

I still have until the end of the month to return my loaner touchpad. Might be returning to HP.

Hardware: iMac 27", MacBook Air, PC 3.5Ghz Quad
Developing Tools: GLBasic SDK, Gideros Studio, PureBasic
Developing for: iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, webOS, HTML5

Ian Price

The TP is surprisingly slow, compared to the Pre, isn't it?
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

Mine also runs upside down (unsurprising after everyone else mentioned it), but also the accelerometer isn't quite correct. Or at least I'm using the same code as I used on the iDevices and Pre2 and it doesn't run the same. While using the GETJOYX on my game on a Pre2/iDevice works perfectly for what it is intended it seems to lean massively to one side on the TP. Infact even if perfectly flat it still thinks it is turned some. I'd look into it more but I've got to prepare for a business trip to Dubai (damn timing...) for a week and won't have the time to check it all out.

Everything else seems to be working as good as the Pre2 for me though, including a bit of sprite2mem action for resizing images, music and sound, plus 3D work.

I didn't see it lag at all, seemed very smooth, although I'm not doing much in my 3D world. Plus I was O/C'ed to 1.7Ghz on both cores. Reducing it to 1.2Ghz seemed to make it not *quite* as smooth but it may have been just me as it looked pretty similar. Again though I'm not doing that much in my 3D scene. Maybe GLB isn't fully optimised for the TP or the TP needs a couple of updates to get out the wrinkles. I did patch it to remove a couple of logging systems which is mainly for hardware error logging, which apparently slows the device down a bit plus is probably useless now. It's not as if HP are going to fix it or give you a new one... Oh and I got rid of the ripple. Again, another hit on the CPU, and is pretty useless.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Ian Price

I'm getting 60FPS out of my app (on 1.2Ghz), but I have to be a bit more careful and had to change my plans a bit - scaling reduced the FPS more than I was expecting, so will have to alter code (to make up for positioning of images and touchscreen) and make the graphics full size. No worries, as I had considered doing this anyway. It'll just take a lot longer to do.
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

It's what I do with mine. I resize all images and save them at the correct size in the beginning. Seems ok to me on the TP.

Cheers

Ian Price

If I have to make the game HD anyway, I might as well make the images HD too, so I'm re-drawing them, not just resizing them.
I came. I saw. I played.

Millerszone

I'm getting 60 fps with pong game. I don't know why HTD is lagging. All other devices it runs at 60+.
I'm using all images from iPad and are hires. Field image is 1.4 mb png alone.
Anyway, won't be converting HTD to touchpad since I 'm working on new projects.

Crivens

Mine are retina anyway so it's pretty close. On the other hand it's only icons that are resized as my game is 3D so it works fine.

Cheers

Millerszone

FPS is back up to 60. I forgot to remove delta timing from the animations, didn't need for webOS.

After I do a GRABSPRITE my images are displayed incorrectly when I display the grabbed image.

Here is the grabsprite image 768x1024 redisplayed:

Kitty Hello

oh bad. Please use createscreen instead of grabscreen until I might be able to fix it.

Millerszone

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Sep-14
oh bad. Please use createscreen instead of grabscreen until I might be able to fix it.

O.k. I used CREATESCREEN for the full screen field, and worked perfect, but I also use GRABSPRITE 
to copy parts of the field. I guess that's not possible with CREATESCREEN since there is no postion x,y.

Any other way that I can capture parts of the screen or will I have to just make separate sprites or wait for a fix?

Slydog

If you wanted a specific portion from the field, first render the field to a sprite using CREATESCREEN, like you did.
Then, use CREATESCREEN again on a different sprite id, and use POLYVECTORs to draw the portion of the field you want.
Like:

Code (glbasic) Select
//... field previously rendered to sprite 'sp_field'
CREATESCREEN 0, sp_part, part_width, part_height
USESCREEN 0
STARTPOLY sp_field, 2
POLYNEWSTRIP
POLYVECTOR 0, 0, part_x1, part_y1, colour // TL
POLYVECTOR 0, part_height, part_x1, part_y2, colour // BL
POLYVECTOR part_width, 0, part_x2, part_y1, colour // TR
POLYVECTOR part_width, part_height, part_x2, part_y2, colour // BR
ENDPOLY

[Edit] If you don't need the parts to be their own sprites and only need to plot them to the screen, then skip the CREATESCREEN part and just use the POLYVECTOR parts, with the proper x,y values (the code above plots it to 0,0)
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

Kitty Hello

Just use drawsprite if you dont want to scale, rotate, teint. But, yeah thats the idea.

Millerszone

Thanks for the above code. I'll try it out.

ampos

I have got 3 emails about my app not working fine on TP (the back button from the menu is a bit... unresponsibe). What surprised me is that some said the screen display was up/down.

Can someone download Glowing Sky Free and test on his TP? (search for "diniplay", it is easier)

Thank you.
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE