GLBasic executable on VirtualBox

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

If you need what I'm installed Mr-T it's Ubuntu with Gnome desktop not the Unity, it's really more nice... and VirtualBox the last version for Linux, then I unable the 3D acceleration and GLbasic runs fine... I don't try to unistall Guest Additions and add 3D acceleration, perhaps runs fine, but you have disable to change the resolution of windows and some another things...

I'm using Windows 7 x64, and I test using without Aero and 3d acceleration activated and don't runs too..  :( , but I think 2 cores with 2048 Mb of ram have to be enough for Glbasic runs fine, at least running in 2D mode only....

I have to test my Editor of the Black sun and then I comment....

MrTAToad

Yes, it appears that with the additions OpenGL wont work properly and thus GLBasic wont in either VMWare or VirtualBox

It appears that thanks to some very minimalistic drivers, you need a proper Linux system to run stuff on!

MrTAToad

Starting a proper installation now on a laptop, so hopefully there will be no problems!

Unfortunately though, linux programs still wont work - keeps coming up with the GLX error (and GLX is running).

Hemlos

So far all i can run on linux, is a terminal based window.

Trying to execute an opengl windowed GLBinary simply does nothing at all, not even an error.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

MrTAToad

Have you tried running a graphic window program from Terminal?  It sounds like various things (Sdl)mixer) needs to be installed

Hemlos

Ah forgot to do that lol..and set permission in properties

here is the response from the terminal

QuoteA10Trinity NOAAGOES_LD.app # ./noaagoes_ld.linux
Can't init SDL.

timer
rbow
rbow init
VSync unsupported on old SDL versions (before 1.2.10).
SDL_init video
SDL_GetVideoInfo = 1920x1080 @ 32 bpp. Screen 1280x720
Requested SDL_OPENGL = 2
Requested double buffer
set up SDL for OpenGL mode
Setting video mode: 1280x720x24 fl=2
SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
INIT: Unable to create BPP -> trying 16.
Couldn't set GL mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Segmentation fault

MrTAToad

Thats what I get too.

I think what is happening is that the initial value for the bits per pixel isn't being used and Gernot is going straight to 24 and then when that fails, tries 16; when instead 32bpp should be tried, then 24, then 16.

The "Cant init SDL" is also a bit puzzling too...

It looks like all repositories before 13.10 have been removed so nothing can be used before this version.

It also appears that 13.10 also suffers from the GLX problem, even with the Additional Tools installed.

It could also be due to the fact the drivers aren't hardware accelerated (found that was the problem with SDL2).  If I remember correctly, GLBasic used to have an option to allow software or hardware rendering...  It may be time to bring it back!

mentalthink

HI MrT, I think the problem it's SDL, in this Linux when I try to run something compiled to Linux says all you comment, but here comment something SDL 1.2 it's old... Perhaps I don't know Ubuntu in default uses SDL 2.0...

About the depth of bits here put the same I think Linux try to use in 16bpp.

I don't think this have to be too much problem, just yesterday I try an AGK example, a 3d scene compiled and runs fine, Ok AGK and GLbasic don't have  nothing similar but if this guys make runs in Linux , Gernot sure too!!!!

MrTAToad

PureBasic ran fine too :)

GLBasic is the odd one out  :S  It does use SDL1.2 (as I mentioned previously, it would be a good idea to use V2 - Triority uses SDL2 ).  Which leads me onto my previous trouble with SDL2, which turned out be caused by the same problem - I had to revert the rendering system to software only...

Hemlos

I spoke to Gernot a couple weeks ago about linux...
He said to install some driver, but i forgot what he said...
Unfortunetly my email has been deleted already.
When he comes back ill be sure to get that info again.

matchy

Yeah, I have this issue with non-virtual systems. :( I have just tried the latest debian and ubunitu isos. Is there any that work at the moment?

Hemlos

Not that im aware of, and gernot didnt make any suggestions.

I am taking a class online for Linux........this course is approved by Linus himself, and he might even participate in it....i am starting week 1 today.

Here is a link i got from the class for installing some version of Linux:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/

offtopic:
The course for Linux...LinuxFoundationX: LFS101x Introduction to Linux  is at https://www.edx.org/....and free....and just awesome....if you LOVE LINUX TAKE THIS CLASS
The first video is with Linux T describing Linux.

Hemlos

I updated a FAQ thread with my results for running stuff in linux native, here is a link, i will let this thread get back on topic.
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=2525.msg87130#msg87130

MrTAToad

It was working in Ubuntu 9 or so, but unfortunately you cant use them unless you know where to get the SDL packages from (and assuming you dont want to update the system - all the usual repositories no longer exist).

kanonet

GLBasic programs not running on Linux is a newer problem, I just tested an old linux program that I compiled 3 years ago and a current one - I could easily get the old one to run just fine (only needed to install sdl-mixer1.2) - but the new one just crashes as you said. So must be related to some updates, no general problems with libraries (like old SDL).

Test done on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64