Newbie questions

Previous topic - Next topic

Slydog

Yes, it does have a proportional option now (for at the latest few GLB versions).
Ha, I reread what I wrote, kinda sounds I was implying it didn't. (It didn't when I wrote my library, does that count!)

Well, using your own font system you have full control over the character spacing, and can adjust characters by a pixel or two if it doesn't look right.
Plus, if you edit the font definition file that was generated from the bitmap font program, you can set your numeric characters to have the same width, while your other characters are proportional.  This looks better for onscreen scores and timers where otherwise a '1' in the score would cause the leading numbers to shift over, etc.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

Darmakwolf

Here you go, bro. (simple project attached)

I just realized you already solved your font issue. Happened to me the first time too. What got me was that it's smalfont, not smallfont. notice the one L... not sure what's up with that. Might have been a weird german to english thing going on. Anyway, I'd be glad to help if you need any examples of anything!

erico

Quote from: SFguy on 2013-May-29
Thanks for all the help, guys. :)

Another newbie question - is there a built-in command in GLBasic that will allow one to detect/use the accelerometer/gyroscope in an iPhone or an Android phone?

Robert
I believe joy (0) will get you gsensor on those.

SFguy

What a helpful group of programmers we have here.  Thanks for all the answers! :)

I should start to do some programming now!

geekpeter

the only thing im not too sure about yet and havent really tried is trying to find the width in pixels of a line of text when its proportional, easy enough when its fixed but i do plan to see if theres an easy way to find a pixel length for a string of proportional text when i can (my code to center text goes a bit wonky when its proportional atm), provided its not been done already ofc.

MrTAToad

You use LEN("text",true) to get the length in pixels of proportional font.  It uses the current font.  To get the fixed width size (in pixels), use LEN("text",false)

geekpeter

ah legend, i thought it would only return the fixed width, thats a big help, and surprisingly easy \o/