DDD internal format

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Does GLBasic use bones for its model animation (quaterions/slerps) or just mesh deformations (ala MD2)?

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hemlos

correct me if im wrong, but i do believe it is md2

glbasic has the ability to create slerps tho.

quaterions would be nice :)

theoretically quaterions can be done with inline or even written into gl code...but im not positive about it...

if youre feeling brave....check out gamasutra for the slerp euler and quaterion code conversions.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

bigsofty

The reason I ask, is that Ive done a few tests with lots of objects on the screen and its a little slower than I expected... mesh deformation is a little more processor intensive due to the massive amount of interpolation calculations when compared to a good quaternion bone system.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

It uses mesh deformations, right. Maybe I can implement bones one day.
How slow is it? I mean - maybe the bottleneck is somewhere else?

bigsofty

I modified the ObjectCreation.Gbas demo, to load in some DDDs.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

This sample has 3 lights, doesn't it? Lights are expensive! You can get higher frame rates on some cards with cel-shading than with real lights, even though the work for cel-outlines is horrible. Just disable 2 of the 3 lights and check again.
If you think it's the animation, just set the "percentage" value to 0.0 - no interpolation is done then.

Hemlos

The number of surfaces is expensive too, if youre using extremely highly detailed and ultra subdivided faces to make an object look very smooth, itll drag it down too.

Ad a code to detect the number of surfaces so you can limit the detail of your 3d objects.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O