Battle Cards

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Battle Cards is a GLBasic update/port of my unreleased (IIRC) BlitzBasic Top Trumps-alike. The game is up and running (and can play a mean game!), with (so far) three full card packs and several others being worked on, including stat juggling/rejigging.

Card packs can easily be created and slotted in, without much fuss and the system picks them up, ready for use :)

[EDIT] Is this something people would be interested in, or is Top Trumps over-rated and boring nowadays? Is it worth continuing (remember it's only a WIP so far). I never released the Blitz version as I wasn't sure.
I came. I saw. I played.

PeeJay

It could be interesting, especially if you allow netplay. I'd also consider making the ability to slot in card packs as user friendly and open source as possible, so people can then add their own packs .....
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Ian Price

QuoteCard packs can easily be created and slotted in, without much fuss and the system picks them up, ready for use :)

What could be more simple than adding a text (.txt) file and the images (.PNG format)? :)

Netplay is a no-no though - I really can't be arsed to get into that. It's also designed for GP2X and Wiz, so the graphics are 320x240 (scaled on pc).
I came. I saw. I played.

Nobiag

looks good and i sure would like to play it. But since you ask if it is "worth continuing", i'd say i would prefer your Balloonacy Game :)
This Top Trumps game concept is something i would play a few rounds but then i would lose interest, because its too much based on luck (and also its something i would rather play against a human than a computer)
But on the other Hand i like the cards itself and i think there could be cool custom decks made by the community, which i would just like to see (even if i would never play all of them ;) )

(sorry for my english. when i wrote this, i was sitting a few minutes looking over every sentence and i still thinks its full of mistakes. also i'm tired so... i hope its understandable ;) )

Hatonastick

This is funny.  My current project is a battle game with pop culture characters and references galore.  Mind you, mine's a 'remake' (ASCII/ANSI graphics) of an old BBS game and not a card game, but still. :)  The main difference is yours would eventually be released whereas mine will most likely live in my WIP folder for the rest of its life. ;)

I say go for it, but I agree with PJ that netplay would be nice -- of course if you don't want to you don't have to. ;)  However I also agree that I'd like to see Balloonacy out first, even if it is mostly for the handhelds (my suggestions for alterations for the PC market were probably a bit sadistic :)).

Kitty Hello

Really must be a network game. It's quite simple to do. Want some help? It's an excellent game for starting network programming, and the network fix that came with late V6 offers a really easy to use networking command set.

Hatonastick

And then there's the tutorials you posted.

Kitty Hello

Yes, The game is really great. But having it multiplayer would totally rock. And it's not much of a problem. You make a small session of 2-4 players, then wait for each one to drop a card, inform the others about the drop and set.

MrTAToad

In (probably) Code Snippets  I've got the basis of a system for joining/creating sessions and dealing with messages for networking... :)

Kitty Hello

Sorry if we scared you, Ian, you're doing a great job.

Hatonastick

He's gone quiet.  Not a good sign.  Well unless it means Ian is hard at work coding.  Lets all back-off and give him some room.  =D

Ian Price

I'm not scared of network programming - it's the problems associated with the game itself that would ruin any online experience. Quite simply, you can customise the cardsets. It would be possible to whack in high values for all cards and automatically win the game. Therefore making it pointless to play. The only way to prevent that would be to have values and cardslocked in, which kind of defeats my open-game idea.

Also the graphics aren't up to much - the game was deliberately designed for the Wiz and shortburst play. I haven't got the time or ability to make them much better or any inclination, as I know a game like this will not be played regularly enough to warrant any further investment of my limited time.

So therefore, a networked version aint gonna happen.

As for Balloonacy, that's still coming along - I'm implementing a couple of new ideas from feedback I received. The problem is the feedback for the Wiz version and the pc version differ greatly due to the controls on the Wiz and pc. Wiz owners gave very positive feedback, stating that the game was challenging (which I knew) and pc owners stated the game was too easy (again, which I knew). It's the same game, but with completely different gameplay depending on which platform you're playing it on. I'm not sure how to please both types of gamers or if I should just concentrate on Wiz, as pc isn;t exactly starved of games.

[EDIT] LOL HOAS - I was typing while you were responding. AS for being quiet, I do have a real job, you know :P
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

+1 for real job.

I'd make the network game for Wiz, of course. Why not? They plan the Wifi extension out soon. They also plan an App-Store equivalent end o' year. (just rumours, K)

You might want a checksum for the card decs that the server might sync to. Just a thought, no pushing.

Ian Price

Hmmmmmm... There's food for thought here...
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

My apologies.  I've been out of _real_ work for so long now I forget other people actually have lives.  :S

I'd say for both Balloonacy and Battle Cards that you concentrate on the Wiz and not worry too much about the PC, even if people like me will miss out.  They just sound like stronger games on that platform and I think that's more important than trying to shoe them into another platform that they weren't really designed for.