How did you learn to program?

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlos

Hehe,

Thats funny, according to my kids, i invented dirt.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

yaKC

I got a ZX Spectrum +2 for Christmas '87... used to type the listings from the manual and magazines (Your Sinclair, Crash and Sinclair User (+ the occisional ACE pink pages puzzles they used to have)... also presing escape/break on basic games or MERGE'ing thm in to access the code.

Didn't really start coding my own stuff 'til I got a SAM Coupe... slow but faster thana Spectrum for Basic.. loads of coding later (games, utilities and applications) got an Amiga with AMOS...

GLBasic is the first thing I've come across since getting a PC 10 years ago that comes close to a proper Basic for me.. let the good times roll ;)

BumbleBee

In 1989 i wrote my first program on an Atari ST 1040 machine with Omikron Basic. Where have all the years gone.  =D

Cheers
The day will come...

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570k, 3.4GHz, AMD Radeon 7800 , 8 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64Bit

spudgunjake

I learned on a atari 2600 Couldnt save anything but it got me going. backing around 1978-80

AlienMaster

Hello to all,   :enc:

Today is my first day using GLBasic and as it turns out my first day on this forum. I realize this poll is closed but it seemed as good a place as any to introduce my self.

In December of 1981 I bought a C64 at Target for around $200 I got it home and hooked it up to my 13 inch color tv. I turned it on and it just sat there looking at me looking at it.

I went back to Target and started looking thru the mags to see I could do to use this wonderful new gadget. 12 mags later I was sitting there reading mags and trying to understand why I spent $200. There was no floppy drive so as you know every time it came time to turn it off I was devastated.

That's when I discovered Amoeba mode. I think I must have sat there typing in line after line of code for what must have been 7 or 8 months / JK  :D it was days at a time tho and I have been addicted ever since. I now find my self about to enter Amoeba mode again trying to figure out some of the 3d stuff in GLBasic, so wish me luck and if no one hears from me for a couple months  :'( , please send   :help: hotpockets and wild cherry pepsi.  :D

aonyn

Hi All,

I will follow AlienMaster's lead and introduce myself as well, as I purchased GLBasic over the weekend.
My name is Dave, and perhaps some of you will recognize me, from purebasic, or the game creators puregdk forum.
I also have a few posts at the blitz3D sdk forum, as I use that as well with purebasic.

Anyway, I started out as a CAD guy, and learned programming later.
I discovered Python, and have been hooked ever since.
I have played with many other languages, including C, Lua, Scheme, C#, VB, DB, PHP, Java, JS, etc.
When I discovered purebasic however, was when I found my home, where I became truly comfortable in a language, and I was able to accelerate past the curve.

Recently, I have been writing iPhone apps, using ansca corona. I have also played with Obj-C, and while I can stumble around with it, I don't like it.
Then over this weekend, I found a forum post (over on the blitz site I think) recommending GLBasic, so I checked out the demo, and purchased 2 hours later.
I have already completely translated one of my projects, not complete, but at the same state I was at in Corona.
I am very excited to have found GLBasic, which is much more like purebasic than corona, which is based on Lua.

Thanks to Gernot for developing GLBasic.  :)

Now to the topic of this thread...

Most of my knowledge comes from trial and error (lots of error)  :P
I of course have also gone through many tutorials as well as articles on the internet as well.

regards,
Dave

For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -Ephesians 2:8-9

Kuron

Quote from: AlienMaster on 2010-Apr-14In December of 1981 I bought a C64 at Target for around $200
I find it most impressive that you lived somewhere that had a Target in '81.  They were still under a hundred stores back then. =D

bigsofty

Welcome to you new guys! ;)

Well, as a kid in mid 80's, programmed CPC464 with basic for fun, lovely dialect of Basic BTW, mainly listings, did some Z80 Assembly, even got a couple of CPC games published, then the AtariST/Amiga. Later went the academic route but I had my main fun with the home micros. The 80s was a very innovative an unique time to be into computers, we were very lucky!  =D
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

aonyn

Thanks for the Welcom BigSofty   :)
For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -Ephesians 2:8-9

Kuron

QuoteThen over this weekend, I found a forum post (over on the blitz site I think) recommending GLBasic, so I checked out the demo, and purchased 2 hours later.
Blitz is becoming one of the greatest advertisers for GLB.

Matthew

Hey Ocean,

Is this what you were after? Only Promal references I could find:
http://www.lyonlabs.org/commodore/onrequest/collections.html#promal

Marmor

LC80 Anyone ?  hmm iam old..
Much later i use debug in Msdos
much much later ;) i get an Atari 130 for 2000 Aludollar (12 or 15 Alu Dollar are 1 Westmark )

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/LC80

bigsofty

Wow, the LC80 actually look very interesting, if a little fragile.

Its really open for all to see the inner workings.

I take it, it was in kit form?

How much did that cost?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kimaro

I started with a Sinclair ZX81 too! 1k memory, wow!! Upgraded to a Commodore Vic20 then the C64 followed by the Amiga 1200 which is now stuffed in a draw. Have used ZX81 and C64 buit in basic but the Amiga never had a rom basic. Used AMOS and Blitz Basic on it. Tried several different compilers on the pc. My current pc is a Acer Aspire 5536 laptop. Quite comfortable with GLB although I need to learn a few more bits and pieces. Long live BASIC. Shunned by many for its "simplicity" but an easy way to get your ideas and dreams on a pc. Oh, and it's fun too.

Kuron

QuoteLC80
Wow, that is my type of computer!  I bet you had a lot of fun with that. =D