Reggie World ( Pandora , PC )

Previous topic - Next topic

nabz32

Thx BigSofty,

I will certainly lend those tunes an ear.

I have tried a WIZ Version today with minimal graphic settings but it froze somewhere while loading 2D and 3D ressources, I assume :(.

There was also an oddity with sound on the Pandora, I play event sounds and the footstep sounds on different channels, on the PC
no problem, on the Pandora the foot steps can make event sounds stop, as if they would be played on the same channel.
Could this be a bug?

erico

hmmm, I assume you are loading your step sounds with enough buffers to accommodate overlap.
If so, as it seems to be, then it may be a bug on sound buffers on pandora.

I hear the pandora compiling is similar to the caanoo one. I have step sounds going and overlaping on a caanoo game without problems.

Hemlos

Quote from: mentalthink on 2015-Mar-25
Basically it's paste the ligting of the World3D over the Diffuse texture...

I put a image I found in google... basically it's put all channels of a material put together in  the same text, then you don't need to use real lighting...

With Blender you can do photorealistic baking using the Cycles render engine. (some very good plugins in blender Market make the process very easily) 

More info about baking,
http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/introduction-baking-cycles/

I hope this can help you.  :good:

Could you start a tutorial thread for this blender stuff please, really appreciate this
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Hemlos

nabz cool looking game!
is this game in open beta?
or open source at all?

nabz32

I was busy fixing bugs again, so that the game
runs without bugs at 15 FPS.

The game is currently not open Source,
however the next Beta for the Pandora will arrive soon.
I didn´t do much this week and last weekend, because I caught some viral infection.

Oh I also added Bombs last week,
I am thinking about if it is worth it to write a function that will divide a block into 8 parts ( or 4 )
when it is smashed by an explosion just for the "block explodes" effect.

nabz32

Just documenting the new outcomes of my last coding sessions:

- Every Map part will no detect the distance to the camera 3Dimensionally for fading and exclusion.
  Makes the "fog" look better and also saves a bit more map parts from being drawn.
- Finished The effect when a box is destroyed by a bomb.

I have encountered a strange bug,
when running on the Pandora I can´t seem to check the Action Key reliable anymore
( It sets the correct key in the option menu, because sometimes pressing the key is recognized on the Pandora ).
No matter what button or key I link to the Action key, the outcome is always the same.
I can´t think of anything else that could make up for the differences of the PC Version ( checking Actions Key press works flawlessly ) and the Pandora Version.

erico

it might be worth doing a short example of the bug on the pandora and post it on bug reports.

nabz32

The problem is I can´t seem to reproduce it under other circumstances.

Narrowing everything down by outputting debug variables, I pinned the error down to
a simple if statement.

Code (glbasic) Select

Players[pNr].act = 0
IF KEY( ActionKey ) AND ActionPress = 0 AND noTBDrawn() = 1 ; Players[pNr].act = 1 ; ActionPress = 1 ; ENDIF

The Key(ActionKey) command returns the correct value and the ActionPress variable also has
the value I assumed.
noTBDrawn is a very simple function that checks, if no TextBox is currently displayed.

Somehow players[pNr].act is zero even though the ActionPress value is 1.
I know Players[pNr].act should only be 1 for the first frame the action key has been pushed and holded, on the PC I can see the Variable behaving this way, however on the Pandora it only turns to 1 every 30 times or so the key is pressed,
I also found that Players[pNr].act only will turn 1 on the Pandora when other keys are held down also, but then like I stated only at random moments.

nabz32

I fixed it =D

A very strange behaviour, the Players[pNr].act variable is turned zero by another if,
however the IF in question is called after the Players[pNr].act variable is checked for its value to enable Event actions.

erico

Quote from: nabz32 on 2015-Aug-20
I fixed it =D
A very strange behaviour, the Players[pNr].act variable is turned zero by another if,
however the IF in question is called after the Players[pNr].act variable is checked for its value to enable Event actions.

Glad to hear, but wait, before the fix, it worked fine on PC but not on Pandora?
If that is the case, you may still do a bug report?
Code working on a PC should work the same way on Pandora. We know not all commands go that way, every platform has some specifics, if this bug is related to the IF and a variable, then I´d say report it, if it is related to how the keys are detected on the Pandora, then it may be a limitation on how the SDL is working with the Pandora. Either way, it could be a valuable info for Pandora users.

Cheers!

Hemlos

I had an issue using boolean comparisons in the past..
The way i solve these issues is to surround each condition with parens
eg
(key(57)=true) AND () OR ()

nabz32

I will try this Hemlos,
thx for the advice :good:.

I changed the way enemys are calculated in the game,
before they where calculated from the moment they are loaded, to the moment they are killed.
To ease the CPUs Life i have decided not to calculate them anymore when they are out of sight,
this leads to enemys not following you anymore when they are outside your sight radius.
( their old position is saved and they return to what they did last time when you re-encounter them ).
However when an enemy is on a moving box, which will be calculated always when the map is loaded,
the Enemys position will be calculated, but the enemy skips some of its more demanding calculations.

This reduced frame rate drops in some larger areas on the Pandora.

Hemlos

Quote from: nabz32 on 2015-Aug-11
The game is currently not open Source,
however the next Beta for the Pandora will arrive soon.
I didn´t do much this week and last weekend, because I caught some viral infection.

When can i help test it out?
Will i be able to make my own world?  =D
Im going to the doc tommorow myself, ive been sick with strep for too long.

erico

Quote from: nabz32 on 2015-Aug-21
I changed the way enemys are calculated in the game

Wait. what you just described is that you are creating bubbles of ´reality´ in game, is that the case?
I have been discussing this and a few other subjects related with it with my brother. :good:

nabz32

@ Hemlos:

Sorry to hear you are getting sick, I wish you "gute Gesundheit".

Well there is something fishy again with the collision with diagonal walls, never seem to get this perfect.
But if you don´t mind that, you can test it a bit further, I will make a small test version tomorrow.
The World Editor runs, but some buttons are not yet labeled and the workflow could be optimizsed a bit,
it is only meant to be run on the PC though.

@erico:
The only bubble of reality would be when enemys are on moving platforms and are thus calculated outside the main Bubble,
if I understood you correctly.

I need some new ideas for items that come out of blocks, another item the player uses when he touches it, like the jetpack
or the motorcycle or the mine cart. If anyone has an idea for an item that could be used inside a jump and run, I would be glad to hear it.