Dino Defense

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Cheers Kanonet (and erico, just as I was posting), I'll have a look at those issues. I've had a sticky exit too :)

World 2 is being worked on right now, with some new dinos and landscapes to keep you on your toes.

And yes, the raptors are vicious aren't they. They were even tougher initially. There are methods to deal with them though...

erico, I've not seen any graphical glitches (and nobody reported them, but that doesn;t mean they're not there).

Sound is one issue i never really had much time to do anything with - it's still lacking a victory tune/sound and i want all the dinos to have death rattles (sounds they make when they die).

The "screwdriver" is actually a wrench and is (like most menu buttons) a temporary image - I just didn't have time to improve the graphics.

As for only a few ways to win - afraid not. I've beaten each and every level in a multitude of ways. I've even completed it with just the basic spearsman, archer and rock - nothing else. That was one tough game, I can tell you. And yes, I suppose it is kind of puzzle-like, but it wasn't designed to be a puzzle game.

The Preview shows you what dinos to expect - it's upto you to choose a team to deal with them. It's not designed to tell you how many of each, or when/where they'll come from.

Cheers chaps :)
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Apr-17
erico, I've not seen any graphical glitches (and nobody reported them, but that doesn;t mean they're not there).

As for only a few ways to win - afraid not. I've beaten each and every level in a multitude of ways. I've even completed it with just the basic spearsman, archer and rock - nothing else.

As for the first paragraph check my last post,  forgot the img and also edited things a little. :S

As for the second, I agree there may be more, I just gave a few tries.
Will beat this for sure, be aware! :P

As for you being that good, my one fight game I could beat everyone with a single move, even my own AI and I made it hard, my friends all got pissed on that, but heck, since I was the one making it I had to play it about a million times right? So I guess the game´s dev does not count on the ´hard´part of it :whistle:

erico

The "screwdriver" is actually a wrench and is (like most menu buttons) a temporary image - I just didn't have time to improve the graphics.

Ok, maybe a written UP GRADE word ca do?

Ian Price

Indeed. Once you know the game inside out the challenge completely evaporates. Devs are not good judges of the challenge in their games. But there are certain tactics that can be passed on to make things much easier...

I'm considering alternatives for all icons. I'd rather not use words though. I have some thoughts...

[EDIT] I've seen your image now. I've seen that on GP2X games - I think it's an OpenGL issue. Are your drivers upto date? And the volcano smoke should also be pure grey with a dark grey outline as can be seen in the image below.

BTW I want the clouds to move, but I don't know how much I'm pushing the Pandora already. There's so much more I want to add, but can't due to not being able to test the game.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Indeed. Once you know the game inside out the challenge completely evaporates. Devs are not good judges of the challenge in their games. But there are certain tactics that can be passed on to make things much easier...

Agree, once or twice I have seen people come up with unexpected things though...

I'm considering alternatives for all icons. I'd rather not use words though. I have some thoughts...

[EDIT] I've seen your image now. I've seen that on GP2X games - I think it's an OpenGL issue. Are your drivers upto date? And the volcano smoke should also be pure grey with a dark grey outline as can be seen in the image below.

Yep words are bad for icons, I send you a quick img for inspirations :x.

As for updated drives, they are not that old, but must be one level below the latest.
It is just that whenever I upgrade drives on the gfx, things take a 50% hit performance on my productivity tools, so I avoid them at all cost.
Those guys sure want to push the newer hardware...

I had issues like that on my own game and then fixed it, problem was related to gfx and how I handled them in GLB, but will upgrade to figure it out and let you know about.

edit:forgot the image...must be lack of coffee

erico

BTW I want the clouds to move, but I don't know how much I'm pushing the Pandora already. There's so much more I want to add, but can't due to not being able to test the game.

You should be ok, my game has a few front huge layers and 3 moving clouds on the bkg and it goes fine on my caanoo, so a pandora should be able to handle that. :good:

Ian Price

From what Minion has been saying, the Pandora actually performs worse than Wiz and Caanoo in some areas... :(
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

well, the resolution is higher then the 320x240(so lovely <3) but in my case, I´m drawing everything every cycle, no optimization at all, just brute force to check when it will hit a limit, and it hasen´t hit it yet and by the way it seems, it wont even if I push a few full screen stencil.

But better be safe on the comp :good:
When you get the EARL pandora you should let us know about the limits :good:

Ian Price

I don't think (or expect) I'll be getting any Pandora, let alone the pearl one.
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Hi Ian, about the screenshot I posted some time ago...
Gfx driver is the latest available. I have a GTX 460 Nvidea.

Tried the version from your site, same glitches.
Could it be they are already dumping support for this board? oh man...

edit typo: gfx board name

Ian Price

I really don't know. I'm not doing anything special with the graphics - there's no scaling or PolyVectors involved. No fancy tricks and all background tile images are 64x64 (conforming to the 2^ sizing).

Can you create a four or five 64x64 tiles in one anim and try this code -

Code (glbasic) Select

LOADANIM "tiles.png",1,64,64

WHILE TRUE

FOR y=0 to 5
FOR x=0 to 12
  DRAWANIM 1,RND(3),x*64,y*64
NEXT 
NEXT

SHOWSCREEN

WEND

Really, that's pretty much all I'm doing with the tiles.
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Done, same results.
Here goes my tiles.png plus a screenie of the running prog.

Strange it does not happen on my games, and I´m drawing anim too, not even polivectors.
I wonder if it has something to do with the gfx config as I tell it to run full on all applications (like overide app settings).

edit: it looks to me as if antialiase is picking out on the borders against the black background and thus creating thin grey lines around aprites.

edit2: an alpha mode issue maybe?

Ian Price

Maybe you/we need to use SMOOTHSHADING FALSE prior to drawing the anims?

Give that a shot and see if that cures the problem.
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Perfect now, problem solved.

Me and Mike had similar issues on Hit the Deck.
My games all run on smoothshading false too, so that is the reason I never saw such.

But as I understand, you don´t get the garbage while using smoothshading true but I do, I´m really thinking it could be the way my gfx card in configured.

So just to make sure you could send me a dino defense updated with a few 30+ worlds so I could give a try and check these issues? =D =D :-[

Slydog

I wonder if you surround each number with one or two transparent pixels?
I see the grey line only happens to the left of the '1' number, and I would suspect it would happen to the right of the '5' number if they were drawn.
Funny how it doesn't happen above and below each number.

I had the same problems in 3D mode on my textures, but I could easily adjust the uv coordinates to fix it.
The 'SMOOTHSHADING FALSE' just forces GLBasic to sample a pixel colour exactly, and not average them with surrounding neighbors right?  When at the edge of the graphics file, artifacts appear.

Or upgrade your code to use POLYVECTORs and manually adjust inwards one pixel to stay away from the edge.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]