Does shoebox works on iphone?

Previous topic - Next topic

kaotiklabs

I know is not necessary a shoebox just for iphone but i´m building a multiplatform app.

So, does it work on iphone? And if it works...
Where do you have to put the file? I´ve tried in Media but paths seems wrong...
any got it working?
Vote Cthulhu! Because the stars are right!!!!
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

kaotiklabs

Sorry, it was obvious...
setshoebox "Media/Media.sbx", "Media/Media.sbx"
And of course, sbx on the media folder

Works but it has some issues...
Sounds are not loading.
Vote Cthulhu! Because the stars are right!!!!
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

Kitty Hello

Yikes. Thanks for mentioning.

Ian Price

I mentioned sounds and music not playing from a shoebox over a year ago (for GP2X)... :(
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

VEry very strange. Because I use the same code for images as for sounds ... Sigh.

Crivens

Did anything ever happen with this? It works fine for me on the iPhone for image files, but wav files just don't work. Isn't the end of the world as can keep wav files seperate, but would be nice if all in one single archive.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

aonyn

I have used shoebox on the iPhone, but only for unreleased projects for the sake of trying it, I am wary about using it for an app I release on the appstore.

Reason is, I am unsure, but I think being a US citizen, it is illegal to release anything encrypted for export, which is not pre approved by NSA, and I think shoebox may fall in this category.
If anybody is clear on how this works, I would appreciate an explanation.
In the meantime, I am just avoiding shoeboxing my content, although I would prefer to use it if I knew I could legally.

Thanks,
Dave
For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -Ephesians 2:8-9

Ian Price

Shoebox does actually work on my iPod for sound and gfx. Shoeboxes aren't encrypted, they are just compressed, surely?
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

Yes. Shoebox is not encrypted. But... why shoeboxing for iOS anyway? Because of crackers?

Crivens

Just so no-one can use an iOS explorer (like I did the other day) to grab my media is all. Works fine, just not with wav files for me. Out of interest is there a way to list the items in a shoebox on a PC to make sure the files are in there? I mean what if the IDE tool to create the shoebox only looks for picture files? I have no way of really knowing if it picked them up or not.

Cheers

Kitty Hello

aonyn

Thank you Ian and Gernot, for the explanation that shoebox is not encrypted, so I guess I am safe to use it.

And my reason is the same as Crivens, just to protect my content to some degree.
I am sure if someone wants it badly enough, they could figure out how to get it, as any lock mechanism.
But if I can at least make them work a bit harder for it, I will.

regards,
Dave
For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -Ephesians 2:8-9

Crivens

Yes exactly. It's better than nothing really. Its not exactly top priority to include wavs I just keep them separate currently, but would be nicer in one file.

Cheers

Moebius

QuoteOut of interest is there a way to list the items in a shoebox on a PC to make sure the files are in there?
Actually, if you open the '.sbx' file with a text editor and scroll down to the end, the file names will be somewhere around the last few 'lines', seperated by a few bytes.  You might be able to display them with a program if you wanted to...  This doesn't really compromise the security though anyway - the way that the files are stored looks relatively complicated...
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

Crivens

I'm assuming the files are just written straight to the file one after another and then the positions are stored at the end with their names (as you indicate). Pretty easy to extract if you really want to, and I even wrote my own routine in DB or Blitz years ago, but it's nice to keep things wrapped up in a package that GLB reads natively. Gives it a level of security as aonyn states that keeps your media out of the hand of most people, plus for me it makes it look a lot more professional in an iPhone explorer. Before using shoebox I had loads of media files on the iPhone. Doesn't look great if a user can find them all on the iPhone with a free bit of explorer software.

Cool, I will look tonight to see if I can see the filenames in the shoebox file.

Cheers