Future of Glbasic!

Previous topic - Next topic

Heiko

Are there good alternatives for glee because there is no download possible.
Would test it in the next days. (or you make an attachment) ;)

bigsofty

Quote from: Heiko on 2018-Sep-01
Are there good alternatives for glee because there is no download possible.
Would test it in the next days. (or you make an attachment) ;)

No problem, as it's a bit off topic I'll make a quick tutorial on a new thread for this.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Heiko

If enough user have interest we could open a discord server.
Could bring a little bit more life in glb community.(then i hope gernot is onboard ;) )

D2O

Sorry my english ist verry bad. First in German, second with Google translate ;)

Hallo Jungs, ich lange nichts mehr mit GLB gemacht, möchte aber langsam wieder Aktiver werden und nun Lese ich das hier.
Zum einen freut es mich das es mit GLB weiter geht zum anderen trauere ich das hier einige Plattformen weg kommen sollen.
Für mich wären Win und Linux unterstützung gut, Apple ist nicht so main fall, kann also gerne gestrichen werden ;)
Auch Android finde ich sehr interessant, wie das im endeffekt gemacht wird ist mir persönlich egal, aber es sollte unterstützt werden.
Ja, HTML5 hört sich gut an.

Alles andere kann ja nach bedarf und möglichkeiten irgendwann dazu kommen.

Was aber für mich immer wieder interessant ist, wie lässt es sich mit der IDE arbeiten.

------------------------

Hello guys, I have not done anything with GLB for a long time, but I would like to become more active again and now I am reading this.
For one thing, I'm glad that it goes on with GLB on the other hand, I mourn that here some platforms should come away.
For me Win and Linux support would be good, Apple is not so main case, so I like to be deleted;)
I also find Android very interesting. I do not really care how it will be done in the end, but it should be supported.
Yes, HTML5 sounds good.

Everything else can come after need and possibilities at some point.

But what is always interesting for me, how can I work with the IDE?
The GLB is Ok, nothing more, nothing less.
But to make GLB more attractive here is missing an integrated map / level editor.
Maybe a touch of GUI support, it does not have to mutate into a VB,
but if so, then it should be natively integrated.
Die von GLB ist Ok, nicht mehr und nicht weniger.
Aber um GLB aktraktiver zu machen fehlt hier ein Integrierter Map/Level editor.
Vielleicht ein hauch von einer GUI unterstüzung, es muss ja nicht zu einem VB mutieren,
aber wenn, dann sollte es nativ integriert sein.

I7 2600K; 8 GB RAM ; Win10 Pro x64 | NVidia GTX 750 TI 2048MB ; Realtec OnBoard Sound;
Lenovo ThinkPad T400: XP Pro
GLB Premium-immer Aktuell

Heiko

Hihi ab und an nutze ich auch google translate, wenn ich befürchte dass mein englisch zu holprig wird oder zu Missverständnissen führen könnte.
Ich bin völlig deiner Meinung, jedoch wird wohl Android nicht mehr eine so große Rolle spielen nachdem man doch im Store sowieso nur noch die richtig guten Apps zulässt.
Also müsste man dann seine Apps anderweitig vertreiben oder eben für den Privatgebrauch.

and in english please.... ;)

Hihi now and then I also use google translate, if I'm afraid that my English is too bumpy or could lead to misunderstandings.
I totally agree with you, but probably Android will not play such a big role after you only allow the really good apps in the store anyway.
So you would then have to distribute his apps elsewhere or just for private use.

bigsofty

I'm not sure a tilemap editor is needed. It would be a lot of work and never be as good as the freely available
ones. Take "Tiled" for example, https://www.mapeditor.org/ , it's been worked on for years, you can download and use it today. All you need is a little GLBasic importing code for the file format.

I quite like the IDE myself, I've kinda got used to its quirks of design. I always feel a good IDE is one that you can forget it's actually there, it just becomes second nature and it fits into your coding flow. The current GLBasic IDE definitely does that for me.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

We even use tilemap on a spectrum next game. Anyways steam would offload the server very much and there would been more more insane updates, etc only files that changes is changed.

Last time I'm used Linux, glbasic did not work on steamos, dispite it's has all required libs.

I'm do waiting for the assets files, then I'm do a build progress.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

dreamerman

Good to see Gernot is still here :)

Some nice ideas, some need comment. In shorts don't reinvent the wheel, and don't get me wrong here, if there is some good tool don't waste time to work on your own. For example for tile maps use Tiled, and just import/read maps into GLBasic, 'leading' tools also use that.
Some graphic based GUI system would be helpful for new users, as probably older already have some code for that.

But many things rely on us, users, as spacefractal mentioned Steam would benefit from really good trailer that would show pure GLB speed, 2d & 3d capabilities and easiness of coding. Tutorials are another thing, for newcomers it's important to have bunch of ready to test examples not only in form on included Samples from GLB.
Forum is great as you can find many ready to use functions but it should be better organized in some way, like pinned topics in 2d/3d sections.

Some issues still remain, what are chances to update those old libraries like SDL? Few days I installed SteamOS for tests, and it doesn't have libs needed by GLB, it has newer like SDL2, OpenAL and so on, I know that with MacOS it has low number of user base compared to Windows but if there would a chance to support it, with not so much of work that would be nice (full SteamOS lib list on github)
Maybe that switch to SDL2 would help on Android too, as SDL2 is licensed with zlib license.
Possible 'pure' cpp output sounds nice, and polishing html5 webgl output also would be welcome.
Anyone checked some c wrappers for SteamAPI? as this should allow to use achievements in GLBasic (that would be also important to possible users).
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

spacefractal

the main issue im last time was is Glbasic used too old c++ compiler, so im could not integrate Steam SDK directly into the source code. But its might have changed with v15.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

bigsofty

The C++ compiler can be updated by yourself. I did it a few years ago to try and get another source lib working (OpenB3D). IIRC you simply download MinGW, locate the folders that contain the same file in the GLBasic Windows compiler directory and replace them from the MinGW distro.

I must stress though, I could be completely wrong in this description, it was a long time ago. So back up the GLBasic dir if you try it!:P
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

dreamerman

What's current status on compiling for MacOS and publishing such game on Steam? Any special requirements like in Linux version (for libraries) or that is all-in-one package? Don't have any experience with that OS but as additional or rather complementary market would be nice.
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

erico

A bit late to the party but caught up now. Nice discussion going on here.
Is a next step now a steam release?

Schranz0r

Hi folks,

a Steamrelease in the making? WOW!!!!
If Gernot is able to update the old c++ compiler and integrate the Steam API, it is possible to do well on Steam.
Maybe a good step is to integrate the Community-Hub (Addons, Snippets, Libs ...)

@ Gernot:
If you need help, let me know.
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Quentin

There's still life here. Amazing. What exactly is it about a Steam version for GLB? Is that for the steam shop?

By the way:
best translation tool imho
https://www.deepl.com/translator

spacefractal

Glbasic for steam is for the shop and possible to purchase from steam directly, but Gernot also have got SteamWorks SDK working to the editor (the user licens check), and can also been implemented for the source code as well, so archveiments and such for games would been possible for Windows Steam users. That means all compilers has got updated with newer versions.

That fine. The main advance is the updates for glbasic should been quite much easier for us to do and is more or less automatic now. So the update feature from editor is got removed, because its have no use of it at all. because its happens automatic instead by steam and hence offload from the glbasic traffic on server for each update.

That also meant Windows for 32bit might got deprecated as im have seen, and now might require Windows 64bit. But here its does seens the 32bit binaies with the new compilers seens to works fine. But really 32bit removed is really no biggie today. But its have not been dedicated yet.

We planning do a release for 4 Jan, so we have comply of time to fix the lasts issue... And also property possible to get Android Studio version working before that date as the goal (im wont touch any standalone SDK Android version anymore, its out). But please not its would been a minimal barebore version, because im only intersered to get it working with no ekstra stuff implemented to start with. That means no ads and such in the first version or such. Its clearly best to get it working first.

The main focus is also Windows and Android. Rest can been coming later. Such like iOS.

PS. We can request steam keys to send the keys to the allready registred users me thinks. This is up to Gernot what he want, but would been best deal for us that allready use it.