Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

r0ber7

- fixed a bug where tiles would not get drawn when repeated.
- stuff like powerups and enemies no longer bounce through ceilings

r0ber7

- completely redid the collision detection for enemies. i was having many problems, they would bounce through walls and ground, among other things. now they use the same function as the powerups do, because i'd already written that function with proper collision detection. was a bad decision in the first place to give the enemies their own function. right now many of the problems have been solved.
- continuing pixel work on the bird. imagine having to pixel 15 frames of a flapping wing, plenty of detail. can't wait to see the end result. :)

Here's a mindmap i made for overview of ideas.

This is what I'm sticking to the coming days. Hopefully not many things will have to be added to the list and I can finish this before the end of may. Meanwhile I'm thinking of doing another video soon, and posting a new demo on here too. Mainly to see if the mouse capture thing has been resolved, but also to check for screen resolution zoom stuff and, of course, to show off my progress. :P

Ian Price

QuoteI can finish this before the end of may
It's a deal! =D
I came. I saw. I played.

r0ber7

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Apr-19
QuoteI can finish this before the end of may
It's a deal! =D

:o :x

I meant this list, of course. But that would mean I'd have half of the world done, and would probably release an official demo. If there's one thing I learned, any game idea you have will take 6 times longer than you initially plan it to. :P

Ian Price

Looks like other people are fond of giant chickens too...

http://www.desura.com/games/bird-assassin

:P
I came. I saw. I played.

r0ber7

- continued with bird gfx
- started on adding the earth magic spell to the game (this one)

animation and sfx are all in place.
- entirely new camera system (instead of a camera fixed on the player all the time) i took this analysis of the camera in Super Mario World as a guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIMPYM0AQg my camera is basically like that with a few additional things.
- fixed a bug where enemies would disappear
- castle gate now opens when you are near (with nice sfx of cogs working)
- fireballs can now be launched while walking (as requested) ;)

I think that's it. May have forgotten some things, been doing a lot of tweaking. :)

matchy

I really and kindly enjoy your dev blog (the entertaining parts) but have you got any GLBasic related content to post, like in game code?  :zzz:

Wampus

Kindly the game is written in GLBasic.  ::)

Hark0

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2012-Apr-28
- continued with bird gfx
- started on adding the earth magic spell to the game (this one)

animation and sfx are all in place.
- entirely new camera system (instead of a camera fixed on the player all the time) i took this analysis of the camera in Super Mario World as a guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIMPYM0AQg my camera is basically like that with a few additional things.
- fixed a bug where enemies would disappear
- castle gate now opens when you are near (with nice sfx of cogs working)
- fireballs can now be launched while walking (as requested) ;)

I think that's it. May have forgotten some things, been doing a lot of tweaking. :)

VERY NICE ANIMATION!!!

CONGRATS!!!! :)
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

r0ber7

Quote from: matchy on 2012-Apr-29
I really and kindly enjoy your dev blog (the entertaining parts) but have you got any GLBasic related content to post, like in game code?  :zzz:

I see your point. I could post game code, the thing is, it's very specific. I can't really show some of the code and have it make much sense, unless I'd explain all the types and functions in there as well. But I could shed some light on the concepts I'm using in a more general way. So, just for your indulgence, here's something I've encountered considering collision checks:

Say I have a powerup, falling at a speed of YS = 64 pixels per tick, with its current Y position being 0. There's a solid tile underneath it at Y = 10 with a height of 32 pixels.

At the current speed, collision checking the powerup's x,y,w,h and the solid tile's x,y,w,h with eachother will not show a collision. So the powerup will fall through the solid, because its speed is too high.

My solution is seen on the right of the image: do a boxcoll check with a starting position (for the powerup) of Y-YS instead of Y. Height of the box would be H+YS instead of H. This way the object won't fall through the ground.

I hope that satisfied you for a while. ;-)

In other news, much has changed since my previous update. Among other things, these things have been added:

- scripts and triggers for story telling
- earth magic spell fully functioning
- crystals powerups that make mana recovery go faster
- two new enemies (evil purple wizards! they shoot stuff at you and are quite deadly)
- background graphics finally look nice
- level 4 (king's island) completely finished

Right now I'm working on a new enemy, a dark spooky figure that sucks your mana away if you come close. I'm also working on a title screen. Still needs a lot of work, but here's the last thing I showed on Pixelation:

So yeah,
Quote from: Hark0 on 2012-May-01

VERY NICE ANIMATION!!!

CONGRATS!!!! :)

Thanks. Wait till you see it in game.  ;)

Albert

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2012-May-25
My solution is seen on the right of the image: do a boxcoll check with a starting position (for the powerup) of Y-YS instead of Y. Height of the box would be H+YS instead of H. This way the object won't fall through the ground.

Oh I made the exact same thing in my ld48 entry :D http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=11574

matchy

<3 the graphic and animated updates.

r0ber7

Quote from: matchy on 2012-May-25
<3 the graphic and animated updates.

:)

Ok, so I've been kinda lazy in updating my devlogs. Many things have been added and changed. Coming very close to an official demo release. This will hopefully include more music as well, depending on the motivation of the music guy (who's doing this basically for free in his spare time). Just posting this to tell you I will publish a new video tomorrow. It will be somewhat of a spoiler, so if you enjoy discovering the game world fresh, don't watch it and wait until the demo comes out. Most likely that will happen before the end of june, although as always I make no promises.

Meanwhile, I have made two timelapse videos for fun, showing how I draw stuff. They're here and here.

Cheers.

r0ber7

Alright. New gameplay video here.

Changes since last recording:

- dragons spit fire
- new spell (earth magic)
- scripts
- enemy wizards
- level 4 king's island & castle
- background improvement
- a lot more things i don't remember

Ruidesco