Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

Quote from: Ian Price on 2011-Dec-05
There's a saying we use over at Retro Remakes all the time that applies right about now -

"Is it done yet?" ;)
Doesn't that usually start right after someone announces they are going to _start_ making a game? :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

r0ber7

Quote from: Ian Price on 2011-Dec-05
There's a saying we use over at Retro Remakes all the time that applies right about now -

"Is it done yet?" ;)

:D

Hehe, sorry. It's a long process. But it all pays off. I could make it faster, but it'd be a less awesome game and I'd freak out. I do have a theoretical deadline on the 28th of february 2012. I'll release something that day. It may just be a test alpha of single player mode for the members of this forum only. Or it could be the entire single & multiplayer game on all forums, webshops + trailer. Depends on the pace of progress, who knows. Either way, you guys will be the first to know.  :good:

(Test alpha may come sooner. If december smiles upon me, it might be around new years but bugs & glitches tend to slow things down and I can't predict those.)

Today I did some more optimization. Everything is back to 60 fps as it should be, including the warp. Main focus the coming days will be on background graphics. Bob Ross is teaching me how to draw mountains.  :P

Ian Price

Good olde Bob Ross. Sadly missed. And he's not on telly anymore either :(
I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

QuoteMain focus the coming days will be on background graphics. Bob Ross is teaching me how to draw mountains. 

Drawing mountains is definitely something I cheat with, normally involves firing up Terragen then some post processing in Photoshop. Otherwise whatever I draw normally would not look out of place in the original 80's Scramble arcade game  :giveup:

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

r0ber7

Quote from: fuzzy70 on 2011-Dec-05

Drawing mountains is definitely something I cheat with, normally involves firing up Terragen then some post processing in Photoshop. Otherwise whatever I draw normally would not look out of place in the original 80's Scramble arcade game  :giveup:

Lee

I tried cheating, didn't suit the style. Below is the current pixeled mountain. I'm failry content about it.

Sorry for the low contrast with the black, but it's supposed to be that way in the game. (It's a background. :P) Oh, and context = dark blue water, hence the circles.

In addition:

The merchant of the magic shop.

A sheep.

Today:

- did all of the above pixels plus a pinetree, but it's still WIP
- added code for friendly critters (so now I can make little villages of NPCs too =D)
- added code for automatic randomization of parallax mountains in the background
- fixed a few glitches

That's about it I think. Cia.

fuzzy70

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2011-Dec-07
I tried cheating, didn't suit the style. Below is the current pixeled mountain. I'm failry content about it.

Me & photoshop with terragen have this understanding "YOU will work & FIT in"   :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

Hatonastick

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2011-Dec-07
Quote from: fuzzy70 on 2011-Dec-05

Lee

Sorry for the low contrast with the black, but it's supposed to be that way in the game. (It's a background. :P) Oh, and context = dark blue water, hence the circles.

In addition:

The merchant of the magic shop.

A sheep.

Today:

- did all of the above pixels plus a pinetree, but it's still WIP
- added code for friendly critters (so now I can make little villages of NPCs too =D)
- added code for automatic randomization of parallax mountains in the background
- fixed a few glitches

That's about it I think. Cia.

I love the merchant and the sheep! :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Ian Price

That sheep looks wonderful =D
I came. I saw. I played.

Nathan

I agree, that sheeps looks great!  Did you previously say you use GIMP for drawing sprites?

r0ber7

Thanks all. =D I'm pixeling on. Just changed the ground pixels in the entire tileset. For comparison:

before

after

I dare say it's an improvement. Oh, and notice the +2 parallax forest layers in the second image. ;) Depth!

Quote from: Nathan on 2011-Dec-08
I agree, that sheeps looks great!  Did you previously say you use GIMP for drawing sprites?

Mainly I use Grafx2 (pixeling sprites, details, etc.). For getting the contours of handdrawn sketches, or adding glowing light and so on, I use Gimp. For example, I first drew a notebook sketch of the merchant. Then I scanned it, traced the lines in Gimp, and finally pixeled the hell out of it in Grafx2.

Ruidesco

Dat forest.
It's really cool to see how this project evolves, and does it so nicely.

r0ber7

Didn't do too much game related stuff today. Painted one of the walls in my apartment white though. :P

- fixed some weird glitches
- added "in between" anims to the critter code
- pixeled some minor stuff

Here's a villager, old version. May change hair and colours tomorrow.

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Dec-08
It's really cool to see how this project evolves, and does it so nicely.

:) It's one of the reasons I keep a log. It's satisfying when I look back and see how it's changed.

r0ber7

Testing out a village. I'm not satisfied with the villagers I've pixeled so far,  so they're not in there yet.

Today:

- pixeled houses, fences.
- started work on first endboss code.
- worked on the graphics for the endboss.

Here he is walking. His graphics still need a lot of work. Or is it her graphics? It's a chicken, so I guess it's a she. :P

fuzzy70

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2011-Dec-09
Here he is walking. His graphics still need a lot of work. Or is it her graphics? It's a chicken, so I guess it's a she. :P

What sex is a chicken actually?, never really thought about it as Hens are female & cocks male, forgot all about the humble "normal chicken"  :D

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

Zapp

When people say chicken they are usually referring to Hen's that lay the eggs. Roosters are the males. Chicks are the infants.