Who would be interested in forming a GLBasic dev team?

Previous topic - Next topic

matchy

Quote from: spicypixel on 2011-Jun-07
Noooooo 2D looks cool lol =)

Let me clarify; it is easier and faster for ME to produce in 3D, for example; there's no need for designing each walking frame. This could be reproduced in 3D with the pixel graphics as wall and floor textures without any new concept or bitmap artwork. I don't think 2D iso pixel is more popular that 3D for gamers unless they are a hipster. ;)

Wampus

Spicypixel you have an interesting concept there. It reminds me of Bombuzal a bit. That was a great puzzle game.

I think its a great idea involving people who are working on various aspects as it keeps things modular and assists in dev time.
Keeping things in a modular task based structure will keep things flexible. Flexible is good. :) Its especially good given that people's desire or capacity to contribute could vary a lot. If one person can't do something assigned to them for whatever reason then the task can be re-assigned and its easy to get an overview of how things are going. It also fits well with typical PM tasks & milestones.

How about some show of hands who'd be interested in getting involved? Not necessarily my idea I just thought I'd start off by throwing ideas into the pot.

OK. If I may be so bold, we need a place to officially sign up for the dev group and a good platform for discussing proposals & making decisions. We need it right now since important ideas are already being floated. I've set up a Wiggio group to help. Wiggio is a free cloud-based collaborative software app that's designed for this sort of thing in particular. Please click here to join the Wiggio glbdevteam group.

Would everyone be OK with trying this out? It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up but if there are reasons why you'd rather not then that's OK. Its just an idea but I also hope its a good idea.

spicypixel

Just joined it buddy and uploaded the gfx from my project just for reference, experimenting, deleting lol etc..
http://www.spicypixel.net | http://www.facebook.com/SpicyPixel.NET

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

Wampus

Slydog

I just signed up too.
I'm not committing anything, but I can help out with programming and project organizing.

I'm already part of a 'team', a company I registered to sign up for Apple Dev.
KodeSource: it's me and my three nephews, all programmers and no artists! dang!
So I'm more committed to them, but I'm always willing (and bored) to help.

I'd be good for libraries / types, something modular that doesn't depend on the game code.
I can probably donate some of my library code if needed, we (KodeSource) have no secrets!
The only problem is that my libraries usually depend on another library of mine. 
(Such as my GUI lib needs my FONT lib to work, my FONT lib needs my SPRITE lib, my SPRITE lib needs my FILE lib, etc)

Not that I wouldn't be great at the game code too!  But this is something I could do in parallel to game code.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

Wampus

I have my own home team consisting of one dev, one musician/artist and multiple critics. No problem belonging to a cloud team too. :)

Sokurah

I'd love to join, but I have so many projects in development already and I'm going grey(er) just by thinking of them.

I'm actually quite desperate to get into iOS development, but all my WIPs already represent A LOT of work and I'm not letting it go to waste, so my focus is on finishing at least 3 or 4  of my remakes before getting into iOS games. Really annoying but I really only have myself to blame.  :-[

...on the plus side - most of them are quite far along so none of them will take huge amounts of work...I just need to prioritize my time better and get cracking.  :whip:

However, once all my remakes are done it'll be iOS all the way.  =D
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Kitty Hello

getting some work out to a shop is always high priority. Programming feels so much better with (physical) appreciation.

spicypixel

If you'd like to partake in the modular library aspect of things SlyDog then that would be cool. I will present myself as lead artist unless anyone would prefer to do that and I'd be happy to assist. How do you feel about taking lead role Ragnaril or would your prefer to see how things progress? We still need someone who would be willing to co-ordinate with members to ensure milestones are met and work is being done. I presume you're uber busy Gernot but would you be interested in co-ordinating a team hell bent on pushing your baby =) Subtle as a housebrick I know lol ;)
http://www.spicypixel.net | http://www.facebook.com/SpicyPixel.NET

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

Sokurah

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Jun-10
getting some work out to a shop is always high priority. Programming feels so much better with (physical) appreciation.

Well, some of the stuff that gets released are so FU CKING shitty and people should be ashamed to clutter up the marked with it. It may be earning them money, but I'd rather release a good freeware PC game than a piece of sh!t commercial game. That's just my opinion of course.

iOS?
When I do it I'll it good. Then I know I can live with myself.
...but that's the problem of course...people has different opinions of what's good. ;)
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Wampus

Quote from: spicypixel on 2011-Jun-10
If you'd like to partake in the modular library aspect of things SlyDog then that would be cool. I will present myself as lead artist unless anyone would prefer to do that and I'd be happy to assist. How do you feel about taking lead role Ragnaril or would your prefer to see how things progress? We still need someone who would be willing to co-ordinate with members to ensure milestones are met and work is being done. I presume you're uber busy Gernot but would you be interested in co-ordinating a team hell bent on pushing your baby =) Subtle as a housebrick I know lol ;)

Erico is also a talented artist, which is good. We'll need plenty of pretty to make a hit for iOS. :)

I could take the lead, although until now I had imagined myself in easier roles, like co-ordinator or music & sound design. I feel a little intimidated but yeah, I'm also more than willing to do it too. I'd love to see this project do well. Time wise I could put about one full day a week into it as well as some less intensive evenings. Anyone in a better position and/or wants to put themselves up for consideration? Don't be shy!

I was thinking earlier that being a freeware game the aim should obviously be to reach the top of the free app charts  :P. Related to the last thing you said, if we achieved something close to that it would be a great opportunity to promote GLBasic. The more people who know about it and use it the better for Gernot and all of us.  :good:

Kitty Hello

Yes, I'm slightly busy. But I'd like to watch the progress and give my .02$ about it.

erico

I will sure help, I just can´t take a lead responsibility these days as work / life / personal projects are taking the biggest time I have. I´m signed in too as I want to be able to watch it closely. I believe we should also be posting here reports and requests so we count on helps from everyone, specially those that wanna help but don´t have enough time available to daily follow it.
Lots of talented programmers here, lots of people with sincere helpful opinions and critique. This has all chances in succeeding!

Wampus

Quote from: erico on 2011-Jun-10
I will sure help, I just can´t take a lead responsibility these days as work / life / personal projects are taking the biggest time I have. I´m signed in too as I want to be able to watch it closely. I believe we should also be posting here reports and requests so we count on helps from everyone, specially those that wanna help but don´t have enough time available to daily follow it.
Lots of talented programmers here, lots of people with sincere helpful opinions and critique. This has all chances in succeeding!

Ok. *Thinking* That makes sense.

Wampus

So, basically, people want to contribute but would like to do so in an open & flexible way. Circumstances are such that, for most, having a fixed role & responsibility would be a commitment that they don't know could be guaranteed. No one wants to say they'll do something and then not be able to deliver.