Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

r0ber7

Just a short vid to illustrate my use of Wampus' colour changing code and the menu expansion I've been working on.
Framerate is due to Fraps, game runs smoothly.

mentalthink

I love this game... it´s nice nice!!!, this adventures and all this magic world.

The FX of wampus it´s nice... it´s somenthign like HUE Colors in phothop.

About the date of launch the game... will be near or we have to wait a lot of time?¿.

bigsofty

I have to agree with Mentalthink, it has a warm cosy Amiga look to it(The graphic style reminds me of the animations in Typhoon Thompson), which is just great.  :good:

BTW have you considered a 2 player mode?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

mentalthink

2 Players in Netgame can be Awesome!!!  =D =D :good:

matchy

Nice. Now I wonder why it's called Red Wizard and I also vote netgame!   :good:

r0ber7

Quote from: bigsofty on 2012-Aug-27
warm cosy Amiga look

=D

Quote from: mentalthink on 2012-Aug-27
About the date of launch the game... will be near or we have to wait a lot of time?¿.

:) I know you're enthusiastic and that's awesome, but I really can't tell you a date, I'm sorry. Depends on so many things. All I can say is I'm about 40% done with the single player levels.

Quote from: matchy on 2012-Aug-28
Nice. Now I wonder why it's called Red Wizard and I also vote netgame!   :good:

Hah, yeah me too. For now I'm keeping the name though. Netgame: would be awesome, and is still on my wishlist. I should be able to put a VS mode in some time. I'd love to play against my friends. Don't know about co-op, that'd need new levels I think.

mentalthink

:) I know you're enthusiastic and that's awesome, but I really can't tell you a date, I'm sorry. Depends on so many things. All I can say is I'm about 40% done with the single player levels.

Ufff!!! then this can be a very very long and nice game better... sorry for asking too much times... :-[, this it´s a hoge work, are you only doing , isn´t it ?¿... I wait paciently, this will be a Great game!!!

Regardm and how I told you sorry for asking all this times... now I know you have do it the 40%.  :booze:

bigsofty

2player coop split screen would be cool, maybe the wizard has a 'minion'?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

r0ber7

Quote from: bigsofty on 2012-Aug-30
2player coop split screen would be cool, maybe the wizard has a 'minion'?

Perhaps. Or just two wizards. Or not at all.  :P

Quote from: mentalthink on 2012-Aug-30

Ufff!!! then this can be a very very long and nice game better... sorry for asking too much times... :-[, this it´s a hoge work, are you only doing , isn´t it ?¿... I wait paciently, this will be a Great game!!!

Regardm and how I told you sorry for asking all this times... now I know you have do it the 40%.  :booze:

's cool, it's nice to see you get so excited. ;)
Yes I am currently working on this alone. My musician hasn't sent me anything in months, so I'm also making the music right now. Depending on his work, I'll put in my own music or his, depends on if he contributes.

:booze:

spacefractal

I guess the wizard default is red, so the title could been still the same, even there might been more costume colors on him. That part could even been MP or VS mode only, and in SP its can still only been red.

look like its about half year dev time more yet?
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

r0ber7

Quote from: spacefractal on 2012-Aug-31look like its about half year dev time more yet?

Maybe. :P

For the elven woods level.
Too much has been done since last update to say. Biggest improvement is under the hood. I'm using a combination of quicksort and bisection search to draw tiles now. Instead of an iterative loop through all the tiles I've now reduced the drawing from 10 ms per tick to an average of 2 ms per tick. (At some places, especially in bigger levels, I was getting FPS drops. Not anymore! :D) I learned that at the EdX lectures!

mentalthink

Buff, very nice Graphics... I think a lot of people in the RetroScene in Spain they love you... I think Pixel Art, it´s very very hard...

About 6 months of develoment only... I have this + or - and I have too less work do it than you...

r0ber7

Quote from: mentalthink on 2012-Nov-01
Buff, very nice Graphics... I think a lot of people in the RetroScene in Spain they love you... I think Pixel Art, it´s very very hard...

About 6 months of develoment only... I have this + or - and I have too less work do it than you...

Thanks man. :) I'm not the best pixel artist, but good enough I think. You get better over time if you just keep doing it. Thanks for your support!

r0ber7

Still no videos, sorry. ;-) I want you to be amazed when you see what I've done.

Tomorrow, I'm starting a major rewrite of the code. It's a big project, but it will give me these advantages:

- no more messing around with anim categories, which were a patch that grew big until it got messy
     and needed a lot of code.
   - all enemies, critters, and so on stored in seperate arrays, which gives more freedom for drawing
     them in a specific order, which also caused me trouble in the past and is still fragile.
   - multiplayer would be easy once this rewrite is done. simply add more players, each with its own info.

So, big job ahead of me. But when I'm done, I will have paved the road nicely for multiplayer=D

mentalthink

Better I preffer wait and then the surprise...

I love this game, and the begin I don´t have to much interest becuase  I think will be a simple game... but now... this it´s a real videoaventure like in 80... reminds me to Sir Fred... this game was awesoming...

Continue working please !!!!  :nw: :nw: :nw: