Buildbox by gameacadamy, anyone heard of it?

Previous topic - Next topic

BdR

Last few days I've been getting some spam mails from gameacadamy with a (I've got to admit) pretty slick PR campaign. It's delivered through a series of videos with a distinct kickstarter-vibe to them. You know; informal tone, inspirational music, profesionally edited.. it's all a little too slick actually.

https://www.gameacademy.com/buildbox/

They claim they are going to reveal this insanely new software development tool on 18th of august (next monday) called Buildbox. With it you can allegedly create games without any programming skills and deploy them on any platofrm (iphone, android, windows, mac, xbox, etc). :S I dunno, when something sounds too good to be true.. usually it just isn't true.

Anyone else hear of it, what do you think?

MrTAToad

It looks genuine, but there are many words on their website that add up to nothing...

Hemlos

Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

erico

I have seen attempts and promises of such, never concrete stuff, but I could not tolerate watching their video saga...

Youkaisan

There're some possible solution like:

1.Wrap existing HTML5 apps into Intel XDK (with some dev tool without coding)
2.HAXE
3.Monkey

If they have something more advanced, I'll buy one...

mentalthink

Really I think all this Academies, In my country now we have University for make games (few years ago, anybody know what's 3D), I think practically the 90% are a lie, now we are living in a moment on a "good work" it's make games, but really don't it's easy live from make games, it's very hard , or you have a little or big studio, or have a very good luck and make something like angry birds and flappy birds, and you make rich... antoher way for win a lot of money it's mount the business with 4 coleagues (I see this hundreds of time here, I remind he Infoarchitecture when I my country a floor of 75 m2 cost about 80 millions of ptas, a lot of money) and get for each pupil 4000E or 6000E , when you finish the "educational" program before they promise to you work and a lot of things, the kick in your ass, and another round of pupils for the next year.... when the app doesn't works, another thing will be working.

Ok not all the schools are a shot, but I remind ,more the 16 years with the 3D, a lot of business with people not very good qualified

The best way for make nice thing it's form byself, today it's very easy Youtube it's really in his better moment, when this change and we have to pay for contents we remind this times, and you can buy or download a lot of books, free app like blender or another for another kind of projects, free languajes.... I  think for learn anything now, anybody don't need teachers schools or nothing, only it's time and make a very hard effort in any matter.

MrTAToad

All it is, is a web-based drop-down game creation system.  Have you seen the price for it ? $2,675.00! :blink: :blink: :blink: :S :S :S :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

bigsofty

Very restrictive and simplistic for my tastes. Would allow non programmers to produce some apps though but its more likely to increase the amount of crapware on the appstores than anything else IMHO. :P
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Youkaisan

Godot Engine and Compilgames GameDevelop works better, and both are free...

erico

well, they did seem to spend much on propaganda...high price was expected.

Slydog

But that price includes free art and music, plus access to 50 game programming videos!   :whistle:  :P

And they don't even have a demo / free trial version to download.
I don't like point and click game editors that don't have at least the ability to add scripts somehow (LUA?).
You are confined to their limitations, and all games produced will have a similar look and feel, and gameplay.

For that price, I want a one-on-one personal coach helping me along the way!
Unity Pro is only $1500!
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

MrTAToad

Point and click stuff is always limiting; it's just lazy programming : get stuff out without putting any real effort into it, or put anything unique or personal into it.  You are also limited to what is provided, rather than being limited to what you can do.

erico

yep it is a game maker or a constructor kind of software.
I just watched the features video, lot less money went into it compared to the marketing ones.

Overall I´m not impressed. There doesen´t seem to be anything new here.