Model support.

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuron

This is a two part request as the requests are due to two different projects.

1.  I will happily pay for static and animated B3D support to be added to the format converter.

2.  Please can we have some of the more popular model formats directly supported in GLBasic?

The need to use the converter for simple formats like X, MD2 and 3DS have all but killed my project, and I am considering buying DB (unfortunately, this would kill Linux support) to start over.

If we want our 3D game to have levels that can be modded, we can't do this.  The only way the users of my game would be able to get their models into a format supported by GLBasic is if they bought GLBasic and used the converter, or bought one of the few products that supported GLB's format.  We shouldn't have to tell our users to do this.  Our users should be able to use the tool of their choice because GLB should directly support some of the standard formats. 

With other languages, this isn't an issue as those languages can load a variety of model formats.  It is very easy to let users have the ability to mod your game.

Marmor

i prefer B3D also ,because i have  much tools for this format

Moru

Some instructions and formats of the file-formats so someone can write loaders/converters for them.
I'm too stupid to find a format description for .x, it's a very common letter all over the web...

http://tfc.duke.free.fr/coding/md2-specs-en.html
http://tfc.duke.free.fr/old/models/md2.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.3ds

Kuron

QuoteI'm too stupid to find a format description for .x
IIRC, there is actually three main versions of the X format.  Unfortunately, only Gernot has the source code to GLBasic and only Gernot can provide native support for some of the more common formats.

It is probably a moot point as nobody really seems to be using GLBasic for 3D, which is a shame.

Moru

I use GLBasic for 3D but I'm using the tools that can export to GLBasic natively or create the models in the program when I need them.

Kuron

Quote from: Moru on 2010-Apr-03
I use GLBasic for 3D but I'm using the tools that can export to GLBasic natively or create the models in the program when I need them.
If you ever happen on somebody or something capable of converting B3D models into something GLB can actually use, let me know.

neseir

Hi

I've been using Fragmotion to do conversion between formats. Supports a number of popular formats (among them loading b3d,x and then export to e.g. 3ds for import into GLB). Checked Fragmosofts homepage now and he have just released 1.0 of the 3d tool (sep. 2009).

//Eirik

Kuron

Quote from: neseir on 2010-Apr-04
Hi

I've been using Fragmotion to do conversion between formats. Supports a number of popular formats (among them loading b3d,x and then export to e.g. 3ds for import into GLB). Checked Fragmosofts homepage now and he have just released 1.0 of the 3d tool (sep. 2009).

//Eirik
How much would you charge to do model conversions?

bigsofty

I too would recommend Fragmotion, great little app, very useful for the lone game programmer, modeller+converter+animator and it handles a LOT of formats well.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kuron

Quote from: bigsofty on 2010-Apr-04
I too would recommend Fragmotion, great little app, very useful for the lone game programmer, modeller+converter+animator and it handles a LOT of formats well.
I am playing with the demo.  I like that it has a batch converter.  Since I am not an artist, that is literally the only way I could use it  ;)  I have seen many products claim to support B3D, but usually in the fine print, the support is only for exporting or if it imports, it can't handle animation.  Fragmotion is the first I have seen that imports animated B3Ds.  This should take care of #1 on my list  =D  Thank you guys!